Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Have you ever tried the other hole?

13 hours ago, Roli said:

To my ears it sounds pretty sweet:

At about 4 minutes Marcus Deml calls it the forgotten channel 😜

He is a fantastic player!

Yes, if you use it as a base for dirt pedals. But using a 1970's 4 input 50 watt 1987 JMP like this seems like a waste to me. I have done this when I had my rig at home. And a set up like his would be good in a studio I guess. But I don't play strats. (Why is it that all strat players need an expensive boutique pedal to get a good dirt sound?) 

Been using Mesa amps since 1982 - they all had / have just one input...😬

9 hours ago, Disturber said:

Yes, if you use it as a base for dirt pedals. But using a 1970's 4 input 50 watt 1987 JMP like this seems like a waste to me. I have done this when I had my rig at home. And a set up like his would be good in a studio I guess. But I don't play strats. (Why is it that all strat players need an expensive boutique pedal to get a good dirt sound?) 

I used mine mostly in this manner back in the early '90s when I was gigging a lot. Just a Boss SD-1 and the channels jumpered.  To play Steve Milleresque clean, I backed off the guitar volume (typically using humbuckers or P-90s) to about 8.

The straight tone is very much in the vein of Malcolm Young and Brian Setzer--clangy open chords and boingy midrange with just a tad of crunch to it. Kick in the SD-1 with the gain at about noon and you're firmly in boosted JMP territory. It's a simple, yet effective rock rig. 

Strats are typically weak compared to humbucker or P-90 platforms, so it seems they benefit from some front end boost, even for mild overdrive. SRV got a muscular tone from his rig, but his penchant for heavy strings, high amp volumes, and digging in hard with his meat hooks made that what it was, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Revisiting this thread because I found something while reading about the 5e3 (Tweed Deluxe) circuit that explains how the Low input works and also provides a recommendation on what to do rather than use the Low input:

Each channel has two input jacks, a Hi and Lo. The Lo jacks' inputs run through a voltage divider formed by the two 68K Grid Stopper resistors which cuts the guitar signal in half (-6dB). If you find that you prefer the Lo input jacks you should consider using the Hi jacks and just turn down the volume on your guitar which gives you the same signal level but you'll have control at the guitar. 

The article, "How The 5e3 Works" is found here and is an interesting read on the circuit. 

Archived