Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Daytona pickguard same as Fender Strat?

Dutchman

Question

14 answers to this question

Nope. I believe one of the screw holes is different, and possibly the cut out around bridge (it's been a while since I  put one on top of the other). Anyway, some work is required to make it fit.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, HamerDave said:

Nope. Not the same. Screw holes don't line up and the neck cutout is different.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:00 PM, HamerDave said:

Nope. Not the same. Screw holes don't line up and the neck cutout is different.

They may have differed year over year?  Screw holes on mine matched up perfectly to a modern strat guard. 

Edited to add:  I was maybe a little wrong.

My screw holes lined up, but as Cynic mentioned, the neck heel/route is cut for a squared-off (Tele) shape, not the traditional Strat curved shape.

Could be they vary year to year. On my '94 the screw on the tail, below the tone knobs, was off as well as the ones on either side of the neck. I ordered one from Chandler (I think, was years ago) and it fit perfectly.

And I believe you need to take the neck off or loosen it and tilt the neck to provide clearance to remove the loaded pickguard because everything so tight, as it should be.
That neck pickup in a pickups cause you to remove the neck and also to install it back it.
I just bought that Green Daytona off ebay without the electronics.
So when I installed pickups the pickguard would not go under the neck. 
I have to remove the neck. I guess it'll be good exercise for me to not change pickups that much.

13 hours ago, tildeslash said:

And I believe you need to take the neck off or loosen it and tilt the neck to provide clearance to remove the loaded pickguard because everything so tight, as it should be.
That neck pickup in a pickups cause you to remove the neck and also to install it back it.
I just bought that Green Daytona off ebay without the electronics.
So when I installed pickups the pickguard would not go under the neck. 
I have to remove the neck. I guess it'll be good exercise for me to not change pickups that much.

I’m pretty skilled in guitar work’s. Not a schooled luthier but a seasoned gotta fix it on the road tech. I don’t think the neck has ever been off so when I get everything together I’ll be cautious!! This Daytona is a closet queen from what I can tell. Little heavier than I would prefer but in “like New” condition!! The neck pickup is ok... but the other stock pup’s just don’t have what I’m looking for!!

1 hour ago, Dutchman said:

The neck pickup is ok... but the other stock pup’s just don’t have what I’m looking for!!

Had the same experience with mine. It had been mildly molested before I got it. The neck and middle were the stock Seymours but the bridge had been replaced with a SD Little '59er. The whole thing was lacking. The unamplified sound was sweeter than the plugged in tone. A Lollar Dirty Blonde set cured that. Everyone has a tone in their head. This gets me to mine. I haven't needed to pull the guard off since. Played the hell out of for the past 5 years. The next thing I'm going to need to do will be a re-fret. They're getting pretty bad.

23 hours ago, hamerhead said:

I coulda swore I had at least one screw hole that was off. Not a lot, but not the same.

Well hell...I have to post a correction.

I just compared the Daytona guard I have to several strat guards and there are differences.  The most significant being the heel, but as mentioned by several above, the mounting hole at the tip beyond the tone knob does not line up and the depth of the bridge cutout is about 3mm less than on the original Hamer guard.

That said, I'm certain the only mod I made to the guard I swapped was the heel.  Honestly, I wouldn't have thought twice about drilling a second hole beneath the pick guard that would never be seen, but if I did I have no memory of it.  The location is significant enough that a second hole could be drilled cleanly.

The Fender guard is also just a hair larger with about 1-2mm extra around most of the perimeter.

I took the old one off my Daytona and very carefully traced ALL of it out with a fine drafting pencil on butcher block paper.  Rolled it up and mailed it off to a company to have an exact duplicate  cut and drilled out of a different material.

It wasn't cheap, but it was a fair deal for the very high quality guard I received.  It is a dead perfect fit and looks incredible.

My two cents.

Archived