Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Incoming: Another Partscaster Tele, Dangit!

Snagged this one this evening at DGS, so it should be incoming sometime next week. I had decided to browse their website at about 5 PM today, and this Partscaster Tele had just gotten posted online, so (of course) I couldn't help myself, dangit!  It looks well-relic'd, but definitely not the harshest relic job I've ever seen, as in not like 'I'm gonna need a Tetanus shot to play it' kind of relicing.  Description and photos from the DGS website:

"Aged Two Color Sunburst, MJT double bound Alder body, Musikraft C shaped Maple neck with a 9.5" radius Rosewood fingerboard and medium jumbo frets, Lindy Fralin pickups and a Joe Barden bridge assemply, 1 5/8" nut width.  The neck thickness is .87" at the first and .98" at the 12th frets, 7.4 pounds.  With gig bag, Very good."

ApU5dvq.jpg

VPLBbtD.jpg

t1lsz1y.jpg

I checked out the Fralin website, and from looking at the photos, the pickups look to be either the "Steel Pole 42 Tele" PUs, or the "Steel Pole 43 Tele" PUs:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product-category/guitar-pickups/telecaster-pickups/

...they aren't mentioned in the DGS description as such (other than being Fralins), but they're the only Fralin Tele PUs with screw poles that I see.  I think the 42/43 numbers refer to the gauge of wire used in winding them, the 42s is supposed to give a half Tele PU/half P-90 sound, while the 43s are supposed to sound like 75% P-90/25% Tele PUs.  I don't know which are in this guitar, and I won't be able to find out until it gets here, but it hopefully will fit in well between my Fat Lion/Fat Lion King-equipped Tele Partscaster and my Lollar/TysonTone P-90 equipped Cabronita Partscaster.  Also, I plan to swap that ridiculous white Strat-style switch tip for one of the Daka-ware "Top Hat" switch tips that I picked up recently, and maybe even swap the string tree and dome knobs for proper early '60's style ones.

I love that. Only thing that would make me love it more would be a maple fretboard. But only maybe. That’s damn sexy...

Just now, Travis said:

I love that. Only thing that would make me love it more would be a maple fretboard. 

And for me, an Ash body; but I kinda needed something different as a change of pace, as all my Teles/Partscasters are already Ash bodied and Maple fretboarded.

Just now, crunchee said:

And for me, an Ash body; but I kinda needed something different as a change of pace, as all my Teles/Partscasters are already Ash bodied and Maple fretboarded.

Totally get it. My esquire build in progress is an ash body with maple/maple...

I'm glad I don't know what you paid for that, but the sum of the parts alone put you in NICE Tele territory!  All great stuff...

Status report:  I got the guitar from DGS yesterday, and it turned out the wear and tear wasn't all "relic'd"...the low E and A tuner holes in the headstock had repaired cracks, and apparently it wasn't caught by the staff, so it wasn't mentioned in the description. "Dangit", indeed.  Also, apparently the previous owner didn't mention it...or, if they weren't the one that had the repair done, somebody somewhere along the line didn't mention it.  <_<:(  It went back to DGS today...which is kind of a pity, as I liked the Fralin PUs (I think they were the "Steel Pole 42s", from the sound of them).  I didn't buy the guitar because was "relic'd", but because of the vintage features and in the hope that it was better than an off-the-shelf production guitar.  Plus, the last thing I was looking for on a faux-worn guitar was actual damage.    So, what's gonna happen to the guitar?  I have no idea, DGS didn't offer me a discount, and I don't know if they'll re-neck it, or resell it (it might have been on consignment), or what.  If it was up to me, I'd be tempted to find whoever didn't disclose this repair in the first place, and give them the "Keef meet 'n greet" with this guitar:  <_< 😬

Aww, man...  that sucks. It looked killer and I was excited to hear a tone report...

Archived