Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Introducing Corky Jones

...AKA Buck Owens, sometime in the mid-50s, doing Rockabilly:

Don't ask me why 1956 to 1959 = five years, maybe years felt longer back then.  I know 2020 is draggin' fer sure. <_<

The lead guitarist on this single was Roy Nichols (as in Merle Haggard and The Strangers Roy Nichols), sounds like he was the lead guitarist on the B-Side too:

This article mentions that this last tune sounds like it could have been written for The Cramps to cover (way in the future of course, maybe Marty McFly had something to do with that), though I can't quite picture Buck looking like Lux Interior.  Though they've both been dead for awhile already: :ph34r:

https://www.nodepression.com/review-buck-owens-bound-for-bakersfield-rockbeat-2011/

Found this later video of Buck and The Buckaroos on Jimmy Dean's show...looks like it was done before they got nice new Sparkle-finish Fenders.  I dunno if the Tele is Don Rich's or Buck's (even with Don's name on it...I think it's actually Buck's.  Also, dig that Gibson 12-string acoustic!)...but IMO, Fender needs to include matching pickguard stickers with Don and Buck's name on it for every Tele they make, vintage-style or modern:

Love the Corky Jones stuff! Is that it? Just two songs or did he record more rockabilly in that vein? I love that stuff!,

Thanks for posting this!

7 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Love the Corky Jones stuff! Is that it? Just two songs or did he record more rockabilly in that vein? I love that stuff!,

Thanks for posting this!

No problem!  I'm not sure how much more he did as "Corky Jones", the article I linked to mentioned his session work for Capitol (he did some sessions with Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps, IIRC), plus he was apparently trying to make it in the Country Music market at the same time.  His biographies probably have more info, as well as the compilations that came out later on.  I did find this on YooToob, though there's not much info beyond the album cover pictured:

Buck also played rhythm guitar on some of Gene Vincent's sessions after Cliff Gallup had left the Blue Caps and Johnny Meeks took over at lead guitar. Vincent was recording in Los Angeles during this period. 
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/gvrecord.html

Conway Twitty took a couple of albums to break through in country because he was known  a rock artist. Here's a tune from 1959:

Finally, George Jones also recorded some rockabilly cuts in 1956.

JONES, George - Rock It ! (CD) - Amazon.com Music

Here's a little ditty (probably NSFW nowadays), written in the early-mid '60's by Buck and Don and Bonnie Owens (she was married then divorced from Buck, then married and divorced later on from Merle Haggard, dunno which happened when though), sung by Don Rich.  I wouldn't be surprised if Unknown Hinson hasn't covered this song already:

Archived