Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Slippery Knobs

hamerhead

Question

My Shishkov has black tophats that are too slippery for my stupid hands. I'd like to switch them for a low-profile knurled knob or something unique with better grippability.

Whaddaya got?

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The amber knobs on my Peavey Firenza have a ridged black rubber band on them that affords excellent gripability..is that a word?.

Peavey has them in stock, last time I checked. More like an improved speed knob.

If you have access to a drill press, stick the knobs on thin dowels and put them in the press just like a drill bit upside down. Turn on the press and dig a small file's edge into the spinning knob to create a uniform groove in and around the knob. Put black rubber o-rings in the grooves.

37 minutes ago, Jeff R said:

If you have access to a drill press, stick the knobs on thin dowels and put them in the press just like a drill bit upside down. Turn on the press and dig a small file's edge into the spinning knob to create a uniform groove in and around the knob. Put black rubber o-rings in the grooves.

Pretty clever solution. Keeps 90+% of the stock appearance.

20 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

The amber knobs on my Peavey...

Yeah, you lost me at "Peavey."

Anyone who puts Peavey knobs on their Shishkov (and that includes you, @BadgerDave) is legally, spiritually and morally bound to return the guitar to Mike and Trish.

FYI, the drill press groove is a great way to make push-pulls under a strat's stock knobs easier to operate. Don't worry about using the O-ring, the groove you create forms a little lip on which to grip for the up-click.

4 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Yeah, you lost me at "Peavey."

Anyone who puts Peavey knobs on their Shishkov (and that includes you, @BadgerDave) is legally, spiritually and morally bound to return the guitar to Mike and Trish.

Lol they look just like dark amber speed knobs....

I'm not sure how easy these are to find but the old Ibanez sure grip knobs may be something to look out for; they're like a cross of a speed knob and a top hat, with a knurled rubber ring, they also come in black.

ISG.jpg

2 minutes ago, soli'd said:

I'm not sure how easy these are to find but the old Ibanez sure grip knobs may be something to look out for; they're like a cross of a speed knob and a top hat, with a knurled rubber ring, they also come in black.

ISG.jpg

Also repug.

Same rule applies as above.

47 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

A small strip of tennis racket grip tape

Can we at least call it hockey tape?

This knobeez guy sells rubber knobs.  They're not pretty but I bet they're effective.

knobeez-black.jpg

But seriously, have top hats always been slippery for you?  If not, maybe just try a different brand?

1 minute ago, Steve Haynie said:

kizanski is not playing your guitar. 

Get the Ibanez knobs. 

Last I checked, the Ibby knobs were SPENDY!  Have they reissued them or started using them on new guitars again?

34 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

kizanski is not playing your guitar. 

Get the Ibanez knobs. 

kizanski really isn't really playing his guitars either, but one thing has nothing to do with another.

No Ibanez or Peavey knobs, period.  I can't be more clear on this.

Don't listen to Mikey, he hates everything 😘

The Ibanez knobs are high quality and work great for push-pull pots.  The black versions are a stealth option.  Lots of other choices:

fullsizeoutput_dd5.jpeg

Anything in a small black grippy knob is good, but I'm with Kiz 1000% - no Peavey.  The humanity!

I like the way the stock ones look, I just need better function.  I like the o-ring groove idea, and the tape idea (because it's reversible).

And yeah, my pinky is kinda AFU and I've always had issues with the smaller tophats. A thin coat of clear boot glue would probably cure it.

Great ideas so far!

Archived