Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NAD (bedroom shredder)

Travis

The practice amp thread came along at the right time for me. I was looking at the Yamaha THR line as something I could use while the wife and child were still in bed. I’ma morning person. Up at 4:30am on work days. Sleep in until maybe 6:00Am on weekends. That gives me a solid 3 hours or so on my own 2-3 days/week. 

Enter the practice amp...

ordered yesterday, arrived today. If I can’t get to it tomorrow then definitely on Friday. Stay tuned...

707289FF-3BCF-4E2F-AED1-801BC2656DC5.jpeg

Love mine- so convenient, and they sound great for being so small! I've had a 5 for years, and picked up a 10 last year.

Worth checking out the editor app as well, if.interested in tailoring the presets.

5 hours ago, chromium said:

Love mine- so convenient, and they sound great for being so small! I've had a 5 for years, and picked up a 10 last year.

Worth checking out the editor app as well, if.interested in tailoring the presets.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the real life differences between the 5 and the 10, as well as what applications each one is being used for. 

Ok, got about 45 minutes with it today. Played around a little with some of the settings, really straightforward and easy to dial in a good tone. First impression, really impressed with the sound and volume for the size. I was expecting a much lower quality thru the small speakers. Figured I’d be using it with headphones 99% of the time.  I do not think that will be the case. It stays clean at a respectable volume without the speakers breaking up and distorting the way that batter powered practice amps of the 80’s and 90’s used to do. 

The modern gain channel provides more gain than I need or will likely use. I spent most of my time on the British high and lead channels. The crunch offered Classic rock tones and an AC/DC like rhythm with the gain knob at 3:00. 

Can’t wait to get some more time with this little monster. Who knows, maybe I’ll even plug it in to my computer and record some stuff with it...

15 hours ago, Travis said:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the real life differences between the 5 and the 10, as well as what applications each one is being used for. 

Honestly, I like the sound of my THR10 more... but I'm 99.9% sure it has everything to do with the patch/programming.  I bought it used for ~120, and the 'brit hi' setting is phenomenal - possibly due to the expansive, spatial reverb. With a touch of that, it just soars. Bet if I took time to mimic the settings in the editor, the 5 would sound similar. Kudos to the previous owner :) 

Glad you're enjoying your's. Great sofa amps!

Archived