Hamer Fan Club Message Center

RIP Martin Birch

Yes,  he had quite the resume.    I don’t think anything was going to stop maiden but I think had they not gone with Birch on killers their trajectory could have been much different.     Perfect balance of major label polish with maiden’s rawness.   And then the rainbow, purple,  sabbath heaven and hell... even some of the early fleetwood Mac,   Iconic.    

I knew he had quite the resume, but I had no idea it was THAT extensive, Dude recorded some of the greatest hard rock ever put to wax. 
A body of work.

RIP

9 hours ago, DaveL said:

Yes,  he had quite the resume.    I don’t think anything was going to stop maiden but I think had they not gone with Birch on killers their trajectory could have been much different.     Perfect balance of major label polish with maiden’s rawness.   

Verily, verily. That record still kills some 39 years after its release.  Many bands see their production quality improve over a rookie effort, but there was a stark difference between Maiden's first two platters.  Nearly 100% of that result was due to Martin Birch.

To me, he was the definitive producer for Deep Purple and Rainbow. Also liked Sabbath' two albums produced by him ans MSG's Assault Attack. He even did produce a Roger Glover album (Elements) who was an established producer himself by then. Strangely enough, I was listening to Black Sabbath' Mob Rules and asked myself if Birch was still active and then just read the news of his death a few minutes later.

14 hours ago, DBraz said:

RIP

What a producer.  Really got the best out of Maiden in their best years. 

He certainly did. I never bought what Kevin Shirley was selling and lost any interest in their newer stuff, especially when Bruce and Adrian each took a hiatus. But this is a great example of the band's songwriting and playing abilities, the impact of their influences on the early records, and Birch's production prowess. A highly underrated Maiden song...

On 8/14/2020 at 2:05 AM, Brooks said:

Maidens Killers are all faves of mine (as is Maidens raw 1st album, which Martin didn't produce)

Actually, the first two Maiden albums are the only two I listen to. What Deep Purple concerns, I love the Concerto for Group and Orchestra album. Instead of Rainbow, I‘m trending to Whitesnake phase I. He‘d been the hidden band member with them though. Obviously, it‘s worth following the techs noted in the foot notes of the records and follow them too. These guys make and create the sound.

Archived