Hamer Fan Club Message Center

30 minutes of Roy B. from 1976

specialk

36 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

I have always been a fan of his mad skills but his endless noodling gets on my nerves after a while.

Yep. He's an incredible player (as was Danny Gatton), but within the genre of Telemasters, I'd much rather listen to Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Will Ray, Brad Paisley, Bill Kirchen, Jerry Donahue, John Lowery, or Mark Knopfler. 

I just remember a song he put out (or at least that was played constantly) while I was in nerd school where it was all pick harmonics with the side of his thumb.  Cool, but wow it got old.

I haven't dug very deeply, I must admit.

Gatton's noodling never seemed to get old.  I used to load up his music (cassettes) when I was off to collect / repo in my early days of banking.

6 hours ago, shankyboy said:

but his endless noodling gets on my nerves after a while.

Just one of the reasons why I like his playing.  He throws things in that sometimes work, sometimes don't. But it keeps it all interesting. 

23 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Yep. He's an incredible player (as was Danny Gatton), but within the genre of Telemasters, I'd much rather listen to Vince Gill, Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Will Ray, Brad Paisley, Bill Kirchen, Jerry Donahue, John Lowery, or Mark Knopfler. 

Let's not forget Redd Volkaert. I was so bummed to see him leave Austin. While Danny Gatton played in the same vein as Roy, I find his long solos a little more musical. Have you ever listened to Danny's Jazz outing on New York Stories?

17 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

Let's not forget Redd Volkaert.

Dammit. Totally brain-farted; should have named him immediately upon name-dropping Kirchen.

18 minutes ago, shankyboy said:

Have you ever listened to Danny's Jazz outing on New York Stories?

Not as much as I should; great suggestion!

Found the aforementioned overplayed song from the late 80's, "High Wire."  It's a great tune with amazing guitar work, but the tenth time hearing it in a day it begins to run thin.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:18 AM, Biz Prof said:

I see Redd was added! But I feel I need to add Johnnie Hiland to the list! Altho he has sponsored about everything but cornflakes his Tele playing and tone is still phenomenal!!

Archived