Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else misses the 1980s?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

The second I saw "80's" in the originating post, I knew we had the potential for a ballbusting thread.

NOT disappointed right now 

Aw, thanks, but, I'm not really a hero. The real heroes are the moms and dads, busting their asses 9-5 to feed their families. 

If no ball busting were to commence, I'd have thought you lads had lost your edge. Heartened to see that Kiz took the role of a sacrificial lamb and that Rob didn't hold back skewering me for my sophomore upper lip. Life is good. 

Outside of self-inflicted "hair issues" the eighties were great.  I spent the first two years in high school and the rest of the 80's in college.

Hair issue #1: constantly reading GQ magazine in an attempt to figure out how to attract the opposite sex, I was finally talked into a permanent wave (if only I was typing about the Rush album!).  Hairdresser lady left it on too long and I was left with a scouring pad on my head.  Why my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) didn't leave me is beyond me.

Hair issue #2: the summer of 1986 I decided to go to summer session and knock off the hardest class in the business curriculum, Policy.  I didn't get my hair cut all that summer.  I'd never had shoulder length hair.  It was a gas.  As summer wound down, I elected to go to a local barber and had him take his trimmer, #2 guard, to my hair - some of my hair.  Specifically, the from the front all the way back to the crown of my head.  What was left I dubbed the "Ultamullet."  Why my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) didn't leave me is beyond me.  Wait, didn't I just type that?  At any rate, I went home the next weekend - the Ultamullet was not a hit with my super-authoritarian dad; it made my mom cry, so I went back and had it cut: so there I was, with a crew cut in 1986 (aka, Hair issue #2a - Why my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) didn't leave me is beyond me).

With respect to the music: I loved it all.  Punk, New Wave, Rock, Hair Metal, it was all great and I continue to enjoy it.  I really wish I'd understood I didn't have to be a virtuoso to be in a band.  I never tried to do anything musically (other than a few thrown-together one-off deals) because I wasn't yet to the level of EVH or Steve Vai.  Yeah, still not...  But I thought one had to be at that level to play in a band.  I missed out on a lot of fun due to feeling I just wasn't ready yet.

15 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 3.15.20 AM.png

Hey! That do rag is the same graphic as your Charvel CS Star! Have those and your sleeveless, rising sun tee ever appeared together all at once? That would rule. 

I had a VTM60 for a few years in the 90s. Great-sounding head and bullet proof. I’d get a used one, but my amp budget is spent for 2020. 

Since Everyone was providing 80’s pic’s I thought I’d throw one out for fun. We lived (3 of us shared a house, well more of a brothel so it seemed at times) and played together thru the 80’s. Great talent and superfun bunch of guy’s!!

So have at it!! It was the 80’s!! Picture was taken right before a night of RNR!

41E52689-5103-4413-B462-4BAA12292202.jpeg

13 hours ago, RobB said:

Hey! That do rag is the same graphic as your Charvel CS Star! Have those and your sleeveless, rising sun tee ever appeared together all at once? That would rule. 

I had a VTM60 for a few years in the 90s. Great-sounding head and bullet proof. I’d get a used one, but my amp budget is spent for 2020. 

Did not pick up on that but good eye!

No, the Charvel, the 'do rag and the sleeveless rising sun shirt were separated by roughly 30 years. Sadly, out in Seattle in '89 when that pic was taken, the formulaic 80's hair metal attire was well out the door in favor of the burgeoning if not well established grunge look. The only way you could pull that off was if you were in a successful 80's hair band.

We were not.

Yeah, I LOVED my VTM. I eventually traded it for a Marshall Valvestate (also a very good amp) and then the 5150 which was nigh un-tame-able in my incompetent hands. There's a VTM 60 in a pawn shop down in Myrtle Beach SC. I've gone in there literally every time we've gone down there for the last 12 or so years and hmm-ed and haw-ed over whether to buy it. Never could convince myself to pull the trigger. A nagging little voice  (not the wife's :P) said, if it's still there after 12 years maybe there's a reason? Proprietor doesn't have a cab to plug it into and seemed reluctant to help facilitate a way to try it out.

19 hours ago, velorush said:

Why my girlfriend (now wife of 30 years) didn't leave me is beyond me.

For the comedy of it? 

3 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Yeah, I LOVED my VTM

Great amp.  According to the designer on the ToneTalk YT channel, when EVH came in to work on an amp with them, he played through the VTM and loved it and he thought, "Great, maybe we're done". 

When I was in school in the 80s, my parents and I had a deal that if I got a haircut for the school pictures, I could do what I wanted with it the rest of the year.  Here's my requisite photo from around 87 or 88 I think.  No perm, but a plenty of product.  A friend of my brother was getting married and asked me to play some guitar for it.  

IMG_6019.jpeg

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Some wore them better than others.

And some didn't wear white pants. Ever. 😆

Honestly, don't think I've ever owned a true, white pair of pants. Closest I came to was the off white ones I wore for my wedding in Jamaica. It was 96 degrees plus humidity that day. Everyt'ing be eiree if yoo don' wear de black on de islond, mon!

image.png

Funny story about that Dean ...

Before I bought the white V, I had a pair of Norlin Les Pauls and goldtop and a tobacco sunburst.  It was the '80s, so they both had Dimarzio Dual Sounds in them.  At one point, I auditioned for a band that was playing the old south Jersey club circuit.  There were a bunch of big cover bands that played all the time because the drinking age was still 18.  I didn't get the gig, so there were some sour grapes involved when I went out to see them play with their new guitar player the first time.

The guy was playing a cherry sunburst Les Paul, and hist backup was another cherry sunburst Les Paul.  I left the bar that night, muttering to myself, "Everybody plays a f*****g Les Paul.  You never see anything different.  Nobody stands out because they all play the same boring guitar.  By God, I'm gonna get me something that makes me stand out."  So, I soon traded both LPs and ordered the white Dean V.

Next time I saw my friend's band, the new guy was playing a Mockingbird.

Truth be told, I was never much of a hard rock/Flying V kinda guy.  My "thing" was more nerdy new-wavey and the black Schecter was the most "me" guitar I ever owned.  I switched to black jeans after Barb left the band, too.

5IRKr2O.jpg

I stopped playing in 1977. Recorded a songwriting demo album in the early '80s; primary instruments were a '62 Gibson Melody Maker, a 1980 Gibson LP Firebrand and a '78 Rick 3000 bass. The album wasn't designed to be a tone fest (it was to highlight songwriting) but those sufficed.

Started performing again in '86 with a Kramer Duke (RE: Ronald McDonald photo posted here a while back). Upgraded to a new '88 Rick 4003 (posterized pic attached). Stopped performing when our daughter was born in late '89, but got serious about guitar collecting that same annum (although I had actually been collecting since '72).

E.T.A.: Amp was a Peavey Century w/ a 1516 cab (two 8" spkrs. and a 13"). Simple and dependable

FEb. 1989 Ski Lodge.jpg

3 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

I stopped playing in 1977. Recorded a songwriting demo album in the early '80s; primary instruments were a '62 Gibson Melody Maker, a 1980 Gibson LP Firebrand and a '78 Rick 3000 bass. The album wasn't designed to be a tone fest (it was to highlight songwriting) but those sufficed.

Started performing again in '86 with a Kramer Duke (RE: Ronald McDonald photo posted here a while back). Upgraded to a new '88 Rick 4003 (posterized pic attached). Stopped performing when our daughter was born in late '89, but got serious about guitar collecting that same annum (although I had actually been collecting since '72).

FEb. 1989 Ski Lodge.jpg

Are you singing The Ace of Spades here? 😁

Just now, scottcald said:

Are you singing The Ace of Spades here? 😁

Nah - Willie is "The Ace of SPACE".

9 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Since Everyone was providing 80’s pic’s I thought I’d throw one out for fun. We lived (3 of us shared a house, well more of a brothel so it seemed at times) and played together thru the 80’s. Great talent and superfun bunch of guy’s!!

So have at it!! It was the 80’s!! Picture was taken right before a night of RNR!

41E52689-5103-4413-B462-4BAA12292202.jpeg

Which one are you in the picture?  I'm guessing that you can't be the guy on the far right, because he must be the drummer.

I may be making a fool of myself here, but I would guess that the guy third on the right is the bass player.

If I had to guess (why am I doing this?), I would guess that you are the guy on the left, and the singer is second to the right?

How did I do?  (I'm embarrassed already.)

At any rate, it looks like a fun group of guys to be in a band with.

On 8/16/2020 at 9:36 PM, HamerCustomEr said:

Reading the thread about the 1985 Marshall made me think, "Man, I miss the 1980s!"

What a great time to go to high school that was.  Back then, my only problem was that I couldn't afford a Hamer!  I used to drool over them at the local guitar store, though.

In the late 1980s, I had a Yamaha SE203M and a Fender Champ 12.  When I got enough money together, my first good guitar was a Fender Strat Plus, and me first real amp was a Mesa .50 Caliber.

The 80s were definitely a fun ride, they encompassed my high school and college years and about 90% of the hottest babes I was ever going to score. I got married in '89, so I'm going to blame that whole mess on the 90s...

I do enjoy the nostalgic 80's movies like Grosse Point Blank and Hot Tub Time Machine,,, a lot of the hairstyles and clothes we wore are so freaking tragic! And the keyboards in all the TV/movie soundtracks, awful!

37 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

How did I do?  (I'm embarrassed already.)

The line up from the Left: Bass player back up vocals, Me, acoustic and electric guitars, Main Vocals, 3rd Drummer, percussion, and far right is Guitar, key’s vocal’s, and man whore on a mission!!! 

You got the singer right!! :)

Archived