Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else misses the 1980s?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'll play too...  Shot of me from early 1986 in my "new wave" rock band sporting my Duran Duran wannabe look.  Dig the paisley and broche!  I was using a Fender Contemporary Strat with a single humbucker and a GK 250ML amp at the time...  So serious!  Those were the days for sure... 😎

Tom - April '86.jpg

I started the '80s in college and in a band. Then i graduated, quit the band, got at job at Peavey in MS, then followed my career to three other jobs in three different states and eventually got married. I didn't play in a band again until the mid-2000s. The '80s band did well enough to win some kind of songwriting contest sponsored by a Japanese magazine. The prize was a couple of showcase gigs in Tokyo and some time in a recording studio. The catch was we had to pay for the trip ourselves.

That's me in the referee stripes, next to my brother, the singer.

Rathskellerscan.jpeg

I hated the mid 80s, and perhaps part of the 90s. Maybe because I had to be responsible trying to help support a family, and the music didn't entirely float my boat.  Once Son was born we disconnected the cable (i.e. MTv) and listened to only classical and Big Band music.

And though my knowledge of that era's music is lacking, what I was hearing did not match Yes, ELP,, Fripp & Eno, that era of Genesis,  and all the classically oriented prog rock bands from that time.  

40 minutes ago, m chops said:

Once Son was born we disconnected the cable (i.e. MTv) and listened to only classical and Big Band music  

How did you get through the era without the neighbors calling CPS?

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

Is his "shirt" fashioned from a pair of little boys pants worn upside down?

image.png

Young ladies is very possible!! You only had to be 18 to get into the Ballroom’s... LOL!!!

On 8/16/2020 at 11:36 PM, HamerCustomEr said:

Reading the thread about the 1985 Marshall made me think, "Man, I miss the 1980s!"

What a great time to go to high school that was.  Back then, my only problem was that I couldn't afford a Hamer!  I used to drool over them at the local guitar store, though.

In the late 1980s, I had a Yamaha SE203M and a Fender Champ 12.  When I got enough money together, my first good guitar was a Fender Strat Plus, and me first real amp was a Mesa .50 Caliber.

yamaha se203m.JPG

fender champ 12.jpg

I hope that .50 Caliber was an EL-84 model.  I still have one...

I graduated in 1980.  Played dozens of gigs that year.  We had a booking agent that found gigs for us at most of the Florida universities (mostly frat houses) and, most curiously, gigs at the State prisons.  Talk about a captive audience.  I know I've told the story, but I played for Tommy Ziegler, Ted Bundy, and about a dozen others on Florida's death row.  Old Sparky was still in use.  Every one met that fate.  

My favorite memory is our caravan stopping at an all night gas station on one of the trips to Raiford to re-claim the bag of weed and pipe we'd taped underneath the sink earlier in the day.  That was in Sneads Florida.  All I really remember is we smoked dope outside the "convenience store" (nobody had coined that phrase yet) and had great chili dogs. 

The beginning of the Eighties was really a wild ride in my life.   

In 1980 I was 11/12. Then, I think, I made the step from kid (playing with toys, reading comic books) to youth (quit playing with toys, discover music, getting interested in guitars and basses, still reading comic books but also music magazines, getting interested in girls). But my mind was still stuck in the 70's and  there was still a lot for me to discover. No, not the disco time at the end of the 70's, also not punk or new wave. In Germany there the "Neue Deutsche Welle" just begun, two songs even made it No. 1 in US (99 red ballons by Nena, Major Tom by Peter Schilling), I really disliked that stuff. What I liked was the 80's guitars. It was funny, as I liked Fender and Gibson in the beginning and both companies were sold in the 80's. I tried to keep up with the 80's as they went on. But once I adapted to the 80's, the 90's came. And the 90's I still consider a horrible decade.

9 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

That'll do for New Jersey but in Hollywood we had a whole different standard in 1985

hollywood.jpg

Yeah, that Carrot Top has a badass car collection! 

This was me in the late '80s, ahead of the times by tapping into the grunge look early. This is also one of the rare photos from that era where I am considerably less stoned than the other person in the picture.

1492379_10151848980919646_1016133464_o.jpg

21 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

30 minutes into that taping, Bea Arthur herself had me thrown out of the building for "distracting" her with my intentional hi-pitched yelp seal-bark laugh whenever she delivered a quip.

An honorific I cherish to this day.

Whew...for a second there, I thought you were going to reveal that Bea Arthur invited you back to her place for afternoon "tea".  Probably would have made your hair fall out if you had...

5 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Me, around 1987. Wife made me put on a button up and go get pictures made. Lol

The hair is long gone now.

EF8BCD0C-C2D1-49A9-A374-1B7AC871D5B0.jpeg

Hey...were you once a member of Ram Jam?  <Bam-a-Lam!>

Archived