Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else misses the 1980s?

6 minutes ago, singlehum said:

...and fully stocked on blank VHS tapes.

I'm RICH beeotch!

The good news is I still have the Public Enemy t-shirt and the leg hair.  

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Hamer...it was an eye-opener for me, and a guitar I'd love to track down one day.  I still remember how good it smelled every time I opened the case!

FCM Red Special 86.jpg

A few years earlier ('83) with a super sweet Rick...

1983_Chris_wRick.jpg

The Matthes guitar corral in August, 1987...every one had a brand-spankin' new Hamer strap too!

Matthes guitar corral 081987.jpg

3 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

...and note the similarities between Kizanski's (cranial, at least) hair style and this primeval percussionist...

2001.jpg

He's not wrong...

23 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

One of my room mates at U of North Texas recorded/produced a few BFS albums (they also were from UNT, albeit several years later). 

I will give y'all a break from posting my 80s band pics for the 100th time, ha.

The 80s were a lot of fun for me; playing in bands, going to dozens of shows including 4 or 5 Texxas Jams, & seeing great local DFW bands like the Telefones/Lightning/Pantera/Andy Timmons....

How lost am I in the 80s? I added this retro throwback to the shop's tone arsenal just last week, after wanting one for decades.

20200811_141453.jpg

6 hours ago, Brooks said:

The 80s were a lot of fun for me; playing in bands, going to dozens of shows including 4 or 5 Texxas Jams, & seeing great local DFW bands like the Telefones/Lightning/Pantera/Andy Timmons....

OMG -- He was still DIAMOND Darrell back then. RTFIP, Dime

3 hours ago, Jeff R said:

How lost am I in the 80s? I added this retro throwback to the shop's tone arsenal just last week, after wanting one for decades.

20200811_141453.jpg

It's pristine!  Nice addition!

13 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Please tell me that you kept the soul-patch, at least!

Lol... yeah, it’s still there ( along with a full goatee). 

21 hours ago, Brooks said:

I will give y'all a break from posting my 80s band pics for the 100th time, ha.

Ok, I scanned some *NEW* 80s band pics a few months ago, ha  (from jr high 1981 up thru college 1989);

NYX 82.jpg

Az Iz.jpg

Blaze BK.jpg

Capt Trips 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Ed Rechts said:

Explain this guitar please. And are you wearing parachute pants?

70s white SG that I spray painted the top of black (as in Sabbath). My dad & I chiseled out a hole and put a Kahler trem in. DiMarzio X2N bridge pup. I must have been about to install a new neck pup, I don't remember the hole being there for very long. Yes, parachute pants, rubber shirt, lightning bolt guitar strap; I was 16, we were playing a dance at my former Jr High. Mostly Rush, Priest, Crue... you know, dance music, haha... Good times. Still had my 70's NMV Twin Reverb that I changed the grillcloth to black. That same band won our high school battle of the bands later that year.

Reconnected w/ an old high school pal on FB a few years ago (actually, the kid w/ the Mustang bass in the jr high pic), he sent me that strap!

BK Macs 3-19.jpg

I have posted this image here before. The Pamela Moore Band circa 1983-84.

She went on to sing backup for Queensryche and is still gigging here in the great Northwest.

I am third from the left at all of 25-26 years old.

Pamela Moore Band.jpeg

And this image is from 1980. The band was "Gardian" on stage at the Paramount Theater in Seattle opening for Angel City from Australia. Angel City had a hit at the time on the radio "Take Me Away to Marseilles"

Wish I still had that '74 LP Custom 20th Anniversary.

Gardian.jpg

1981/2 aged 22/3. Gig in college bar, London (note leather trousers). '74 hardtail strat, later sold for '62 strat. '59 bassman. All sold in '86 as my part of deposit for house. (Then moved onto teles, then Les Paul, then lots - now 29 in total). First Hamer, '78 Sunburst bought in '84 - still have it right here. Had a 40 year (40 YEAR!!!) reunion last year - 3/4 of the band was there - unfortunately the singer had had throat cancer, fortunately caught early so he should be cured but had had surgery, radiotherapy & chemotherapy so couldn't sing. The '80s - happy days.

Bar (2).jpg

Well, I can't believe that I'm making this post as I pretty much never show these photos to anyone, LOL. I was in a group in the mid 80's that had big dreams (didn't they all), we had a pretty incredible stage show and a lot of desire. Packed up the whole shebang and moved from the Midwest to LA, got an apartment in Hollywood, etc...  It doesn't make the pictures any less cringe-worthy. 

For your entertainment, I submit the following: (I'm in the middle in the first one and on the left in the second one)

zTXCug6.jpg

e1Rg1N8.jpg

2 hours ago, HamerCustomEr said:

This picture is awesome!  I'm glad that you chose not to go with the hat. 

Yeah, I think that was my best attempt at a very short John Taylor. :D

Archived