Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else misses the 1980s?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Len said:

I'll play along too .. I do miss the 80's

Len 1983.jpg

That pic has some mileage here at HFC.  And now that I think about it, that image reminds me of a young Billy Gibbons.

spacer.png

My hair in the '80's was U.S. Air Force regulation for most of the decade, so not much creativity to be had there.  What with retirement and The Pandemic, my hair's now nearly as long as it was when I was in High School, and I still have most of it, so I'm making up for lost time.  B)

Signing my life away did have it's perks in the '80's, though...a two-year service tour in the UK, a two-year service tour in The Philippines, followed by a three-year service tour in the UK again, into the '90's.  I loved playing tourist when duty allowed, but I hated the "getting there" part.  I hope I never see the inside of a bus station/train station/ferry station/airport ever again!

Is this the "Subject yourself to public shaming" therapy thread?

I'm in!

fullsizeoutput_e22.jpeg

13 hours ago, BadgerDave said:

Is this the "Subject yourself to public shaming" therapy thread?

I'm in!

fullsizeoutput_e22.jpeg

I'm diggin' the Kramer bass. which one is you?

Kramer aluminum neck bass through an Acoustic solid state amp with 15s and a horn.  It was a powerful tone for sure.

I'm the guy with the tiger shirt.  Note the Hamer Special lurking behind me.  The photographer thought the RIC looked more "current".

Image may contain: one or more people

First real band. This picture is from the fall of '79. I am on the lower left. More of a Susanne Pleshette look than the mullet that followed. I am still in touch with most of these guys.

Image may contain: 4 people

This was two years later. Completely different group of guys. The drinking age was still 18 at the time so we put these all over our High School. The Rising Sun booked two bands per night 6 nights a week. Each band played alternate sets so you had to jam everything on the stage or tear down between. The ashtrays were cat food cans with the labels removed. We thought was had it MADE when we got a weekend slot there. The audience was about 80% underage and nobody cared-not the cops, not the club owners, not the kids' parents. An old girlfriend had taken this poster down off the wall and found it when she was cleaning out her parents' house. I was shocked to see it when I opened the envelope.

3 minutes ago, Funky Chicken said:

What a scene that place was.

I don't remember any of that stuff, no.  I was usually...otherwise...occupied.

I do recall a bit of urban legend, however, which had to do with a drunk Paul (before he was) "Ace" Frehley passing out on the bar.
Did you ever hear that one?

Just now, kizanski said:

I don't remember any of that stuff, no.  I was usually...otherwise...occupied.

I do recall a bit of urban legend, however, which had to do with a drunk Paul (before he was) "Ace" Frehley passing out on the bar.
Did you ever hear that one?

I had heard that. 

I remember another band that we double billed with a few times called "Shell Shock". They had gotten hold of some pre-everything wireless units and the guitarists would 

roller skate around the room. They played' "Jukebox Hero" and subbed in the words "Shell Shock's gonna make it to the top" Oy vey.

Ah, the 80s.

At one point we decided to do individual band photos. Here's mine. I believe this was about 1989.

By some miracle of genetics, I still have a full head of hair at age 59. The perm grew out a long time ago, though.

DV of TOH_1.jpg

On 8/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, hamerhead said:

I had hair in the '80s, so I miss that.

I was already pretty bald in the 80s and everbody else got permanents - pretty bad for me back then. Now, much better as bald is hip (and so am I 😁)

When that Come Out And Play album came out it was a disappointment.  Twisted Sister had at best one album's worth of good songs from all of their output.  As much as I love Alice Cooper there was a problem with trying to retrofit his image into heavy metal. 

It doesn't help matters that they abused artistic license with inane shit like "Chrool" and "Scuel."  I do not, however, judge the merits of the entire decade of the '80s based on the sophomoric tripe found on a Twister Sister album.

5 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

It doesn't help matters that they abused artistic license with inane shit like "Chrool" and "Scuel."  I do not, however, judge the merits of the entire decade of the '80s based on the sophomoric tripe found on a Twister Sister album.

I have to admit after listening to a really in-depth interview with Dee Snider, I mis-understood / mis-interpreted / didn't get Twisted Sister AT ALL.  I completely missed their attempt to co-opt or extend 70's glam rock.  I mean, look at this!

1401x788-TWISTED_SISTER_(Stay-Hungry)-NY

For my 80's (early 20's) mind, I couldn't figure out what they were going for.  I was not a fan. 

After listening to the interview, I kind of get it, but then again I think they missed the mark by a wide margin - this ^^^ didn't remind me of Ziggy Stardust, T Rex, etc. in the least.

Archived