Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who else misses the 1980s?

70s glam was guys putting on makeup but still looking like guys... in makeup.  Girls liked it, and as Bowie taught Mick Ronson-- the more makeup, the more girls you get.  For the time it was wrong, so that is why the rock and roll guys did it.  They pushed society's buttons. 

In the 80s guys were putting on makeup, but looking like girls.  They forgot about shaking things up to get a reaction, and just focused on being "beautiful."  That first Poison album looked like it had four transvestites on the cover.  Stryper had some good looking blonde chick playing drums that sadly turned out to be a guy.  When KISS took the makeup "off" Gene and Paul put on more than ever. 

Twisted Sister corrected all that.  They looked like men with horrible makeup.  If they were trying parody what was going on in the 80s they got it perfect.  What really happened is they understood the 70s glam approach knowing that it had been done before.  They just took it up a few notches to make it dangerous again. 

If Twisted Sister had better music they would have been a better image of the 80s. 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

That first Poison album looked like it had four transvestites on the cover. 

In many ways, it actually did have four transvestites on the cover.

4 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

In many ways, it actually did have four transvestites on the cover.

Back in the day I used to say, "nah, we don't like Poison because they're prettier than our girlfriends."  It was a joke... sort of.

look-what-the-cat-dragged-in-530ea7d5f01

If I saw any of the three blondes walking down the street in New Orleans I would perceive individuals who had chosen a gender other than that assigned at birth (did I do that right?  Not trying to be offensive in the least.  That was my clumsy attempt at being politically correct).  

Upcoming specials next week on A&E ("Arts And Entertainment") Cable Network...does this mean that The '80's are now only worthy of scholarly study and historical interest, instead of just being fun?  :wacko:

https://realscreen.com/2020/07/28/aes-biography-strand-to-focus-on-ozzy-osbourne-mtv/

https://loudwire.com/ozzy-osbourne-previews-ae-biography-documentary/

• 2 weeks later...

I only miss the music, great shows all the time. See bar ads and they had more great shows in a week or two vs a year at most venues now a daze.

Many nights seeing two great bands at different venues.

Oh, the big score for me was Les Paul jrs for a song. They were despised until 1986/7. 

People used to call me to buy them. "hey I heard u like these!?!?" 400, good deal.

Oh the scotch and cigarettes of one night would  kill me now

TWOW 1985.jpg

In 1987 I guess we were somewhere between Joy Division and R.E.M. aurally and visually... from this photo you can tell I never got into hair metal. We were able to get something called "airplay" and even did this thing where we'd get in a van and perform in other cities, where we would receive money after performing for strangers. It all seems surreal now. Personally I'm more secure, happy, confident and stable now. But I don't regret much.

21 minutes ago, 0054 said:

Oh, the big score for me was Les Paul jrs for a song. They were despised until 1986/7. 

People used to call me to buy them. "hey I heard u like these!?!?" 400, good deal.

Verily. I recall seeing Jakey Lou Williams play his white SG Jr on Ozzy's video for "Shot in the Dark" as well as guys like Carlos Cavazo playing theirs in footage shot during studio sessions. My initial thought was "WTF?!?", but then I knew that Leslie West had played a P-90 equipped 'hog slab on "Mississippi Queen" and Billy Squier had a single cutaway Jr. he got some killer tones out of. My teenaged metalhead self decided to withhold judgment until I got more hands-on experience. Later, when I could finally afford to buy my first Hamer, I chose  a P-90 Special. Go figure. I also hated Teles back then...until I got older and wiser.

Archived