Hamer Fan Club Message Center

2002 korina artist arrived

DaveL

Picked up yesterday,  the good,  Face of guitar has very nicely figured korina,  no real dings other than a few marks on the headstock.      Gc also did a nice job tracking down the case after initially shipping without. (Listed without case but the clerk thought they had it).  So it’s on the way.      

The not so good,  P-90 routes enlarged so they could put in,  you guessed it   Humbucker sized p-90’s!      Some wear on g string frets.   Nut and bridge slots worn On that string as well so buzzing down the board.     Pickups are rio’s  for some reason the bridge pickup has a strange cocked wah tone to it.   Not sure what’s up there    Could it be a magnet orientation or wiring issue...  Any ideas?   Haven’t looked further under the hood.   Really old strings,  I think I’ll get a better Idea once I restring and clean.     Not loving the routes tho.   

i-Kv3V22k-M.jpg

i-Rk2SNnh-M.jpg

Yeah, those pups do look a bit odd on that guitar. The rings hide too much of that beautiful wood. BTW, is the hardware gold?

22 minutes ago, zorrow said:

Yeah, those pups do look a bit odd on that guitar. The rings hide too much of that beautiful wood. BTW, is the hardware gold?

Yeah,  strange that they’d cut into such a nice piece of wood and stay p-90 when there are plenty of soap bar options.    It’s the std chrome.  

I had Rios in something and it too had that cocked wah sound. Not my thing either, really. Josh will fix you up!

Beautiful guitar. I hope they didn't hack the shit out of the pickup routes. Maybe some korina rings for it?

That top looks fantastic. 

possible that they routed for humbuckers and then changed their minds and wanted to go back to a p90 tone...?

2 hours ago, Travis said:

That top looks fantastic. 

possible that they routed for humbuckers and then changed their minds and wanted to go back to a p90 tone...?

Heaven forbid someone should just buy another guitar instead of butchering a perfectly good one.

7 hours ago, MCChris said:

Heaven forbid someone should just buy another guitar instead of butchering a perfectly good one.

Can’t say my possible explanation absolved someone of a poor decision. Just offering an explanation that could suggest a lack of foresight as opposed to a lack of common sense...

The necks on those are to die for. Get some good pickups in there and with the rings you’ll never see the routing and will forget about it as you bask in the glory of an early century Artist Korina (now)HB!  It is beautiful.The nut slot and bridge saddle are easy fixes, Congrats!

Thanks for all of the comments.    I can roll with the routes but because of the fretwear on the g string (bottoming out first 7 frets) I’m going to return it once the case arrives.    $1325 might be an fair deal relatively speaking but I think it needs work.   Output jack also needs replacing.    

edit     Returned to  GC Danvers Mass.     The case is Hamer but sized I think for a Monaco.  Make sure you ask for it.  As it may not show In the system.   That said. Not recommending this.     

On 8/19/2020 at 11:27 AM, DaveL said:

Thanks for all of the comments.    I can roll with the routes but because of the fretwear on the g string (bottoming out first 7 frets) I’m going to return it once the case arrives.    $1325 might be an fair deal relatively speaking but I think it needs work.   Output jack also needs replacing.    

Yeah, that sucks. 

Too bad about the butchering and fret issues. Find another Korina Artist - my '05 is a wonderful guitar. Killer neck, nice weight, effective chambering. That price seems a bit high to me, bought mine about 18 months ago for notably less (though in the world of guitars, it's good value at any reasonable price).

On 8/19/2020 at 5:27 AM, DaveL said:

Good idea  I was gonna suggest it but didn’t want to rain on your parade. Good thing about GC used deals. Easy returns .. that crap would bug you.  

Archived