Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA korina Standard split headstock

18 minutes ago, burningyen said:

Possibly a dumpster dive build?

Nah.  That wouldn’t have been dumpstered.  It may have grown “legs”?

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

...it could be an employee home build or a forgery, but I’d think somebody would at least use a Gibson logo if they put that much effort into the rest of it.  

Fixed.  

54 minutes ago, DaveH said:

Wonder if Kim or Bill would have any input(?).

1995 would have predated Kim at Hamer, no?

I remember exactly one real Hamer split headstock Explorer/Standard and the serial number should have predated the Korina Standard run or been damn close to the start of it. 1995 would be correct.   If I remember correctly it was built for Make n music or Flynn but not 100%.  It was natural finish. 

I sure as as hell do not remember it having that logo.  Not sure that’s the guitar I’m thinking of.  Does anyone have an early Korina Standard from 1995.  How close is your serial number to this one?  Also, there were 5 Futuras that predate the RNKs that Bill K had built for he and a few buddies.  IIRC, those had funky logos.  Anyone have a logo shot from one of those ? 

Im not sure when Kim went to New Hartford but he joined Hamer when we moved in April 1997.  I doubt Jol would remember that one as he wasn’t around much in 95.

7 hours ago, Ua D said:

The black one is in this thread

Apparently, I HAVE seen another split headstock Standard.  

The black 2007 in the above thread sure looks more legit.  

Sorry guys didnt realize the black one was 2007.  That’s after my time at Hamer and I’m sure it’s legit.

I’m 1000% sure we built exactly one natural split headstock Standard/explorer in 1995.  The one in the auction fits the description but that logo sure does look f’d up.

14 hours ago, mirrorimij said:

I remember exactly one real Hamer split headstock Explorer/Standard and the serial number should have predated the Korina Standard run or been damn close to the start of it. 1995 would be correct.   If I remember correctly it was built for Make n music or Flynn but not 100%.  It was natural finish. 

I sure as as hell do not remember it having that logo.  Not sure that’s the guitar I’m thinking of.  Does anyone have an early Korina Standard from 1995.  How close is your serial number to this one?  Also, there were 5 Futuras that predate the RNKs that Bill K had built for he and a few buddies.  IIRC, those had funky logos.  Anyone have a logo shot from one of those ? 

Im not sure when Kim went to New Hartford but he joined Hamer when we moved in April 1997.  I doubt Jol would remember that one as he wasn’t around much in 95.

Bob,  This one predates the 6 Bill Kaman Futuras  (there was also the TV yellow one, plus the 5 natural ones) made. They were made in '96. The logo placement was similar to this one, but in gold ( like they used on the import futuras) as oppose to white colored as used on the Nielsen ltd editions.  Let me check my korina standards but you are right, it is right in there timing.

Is the seller a member here?  Can't remember the the person with the ebay handle, but seem to recall they have other interesting hamers

Peter

On 8/21/2020 at 11:05 AM, kizanski said:

Never seen that logo before, but then I've also never seen a split head Standard before.

The more I think about this, the more it becomes clear that Hamer didn't have a logo that would look "centered" (for the lack of a better term) between the truss rod cover and the "V" in the headstock.  I'll leave it to others to sort out, but I think it's legit. JMHO

On 8/23/2020 at 4:52 AM, DaveH said:

It seems like I remember seeing this Hamer in Guitar Shop ( I miss that mag)  alongside the RN Futura(?) back around 96 or 97. Or I could be dreaming.

I would love to have dreams like this!  Instead, I have this recurring strange dream where I am driving my car, but I'm not inside the vehicle, and as it gets further and further ahead, I find it more and more difficult to steer and use the brakes because I can't see past all the intervening traffic. 

I think the guitar in the eBay auction is the one I remember from back in the day.

I’m puzzled by that logo though.  Even if they did that logo entirely by hand with Letraset.....why didn’t they use the italicized font?  I wonder if it was meant to be covered by a raised logo from another brand if you know what I mean.  

Peter, did the Futuras for Bill use bookman bold italic font? 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, mirrorimij said:

I remember exactly one real Hamer split headstock Explorer/Standard and the serial number should have predated the Korina Standard run or been damn close to the start of it. 1995 would be correct.   If I remember correctly it was built for Make n music or Flynn but not 100%.  It was natural finish. Someone mentioned a black one in this thread- I don’t recall a black one ever being built.

I sure as as hell does not remember it having that logo.  Not sure that’s the guitar I’m thinking of.  Does anyone have an early Korina Standard from 1995.  How close is your serial number to this one?  Also, there were 5 Futuras that predate the RNKs that Bill K had built for he and a few buddies.  IIRC, those had funky logos.  Anyone have a logo shot from one of those ? 

Bob - This number is maybe 1,500 after Curt’s ‘95 Standard.   He has no recollection of one of these crossing his bench, and the logo was Definitely odd to him.  

Chris, 

thanks for the info.  The split headstock Standard on eBay is about 2000 numbers before my Korina Standard which is close to the end of the run.

I can say with absolute certainty that Hamer USA built one split headstock Korina Standard in 1995.  I believe I mentioned the existence of it on the board in the past.  I can’t say the guitar on EBay is the same guitar.  However the only thing on that guitar that is even questionable to me is the logo on the front.   Everything else is correct.

it doesn’t bother me that others can’t remember it.  There was more than one person doing final setup. Others were in areas of the factory were they would not have noticed it (rough mill, body department).  I don’t even think Jol was there much in 95.  I was very much into the Korina Gibson guitars at Ax in Hand and the split headstock was on my radar when it was built.  IIRC there was a split headstock Hamer Korina Standard Bass (maple neck) that was built as well.

I have NO affiliation with the eBay guitar whatsoever other than I am fascinated by it.

Bob:

It's definitely one of those Hamer Mysteries!

The Axe-In-Hand (in DeKalb?) sounds familiar to me, and I think that we chatted about this (or a similar) Standard years ago.

Was the bass a 4 string or a 12ver?  I remember playing a Korina Standard 12 with a split headstock at a dealer in Colombia, SC (Abalone Vintage) in '96 or very early '97, but not sure it's the same one.  They also had a mahogany Standard `12 and a 5 string Standard Korina Bass.

Interesting times...

I think we chatted about Ax in Hand having Standard 0050 with Bartolini pickups for the price of $1200 (which was crazy high) back in the 90s.  L o l.

I can’t say for certain but I thought it was a 12 string bass.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, mirrorimij said:

Saw that one with my own eyes at Make'n Music in Chicago.

Archived