Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Irregular Guitar Tops

cynic

None of these has a "top", but the bodies are all about as irregular and unmatched as they come. Three piece, four piece, five piece, whatever. Just glue up the blanks any which way and use 'em.

Ash Peaveys2.jpeg

Here's my '06 Fender MIM Mike Dirnt Precision Bass (photos from DGS), sorry that it doesn't have mis-matched wood.  It has a four-piece Ash body that a previous owner had stripped, the factory original color (of which traces remain at the neck pocket area) was glossy black.  Why they put the body together like that, then put a heavy coat of black urethane or polyester over it, I'll never know.  Dunno how (or if) the previous owner knew that nicely-matched Ash was under the paint before they removed it, either...this wasn't a "Road Worn" model, I think those came out later in 2009.  I put a three-ply black pickguard on it, and it makes a big difference looks-wise, as well as changed the knobs to 50's "dome" style.  I need to get around and take newer photos of this bass of my own:

S2iiZsP.jpg

5lyAmPz.jpgH

Edited to add: Here's a new photo, just taken this evening:

lMMe9N5.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, crunchee said:

Here's my '06 Fender MIM Mike Dirnt Precision Bass (photos from DGS), sorry that it doesn't have mis-matched wood.  It has a four-piece Ash body that a previous owner had stripped, the factory original color (of which traces remain at the neck pocket area) was glossy black.  Why they put the body together like that, then put a heavy coat of black urethane or polyester over it, I'll never know.  Dunno how (or if) the previous owner knew that nicely-matched Ash was under the paint before they removed it, either...this wasn't a "Road Worn" model, I think those came out later in 2009.  I put a three-ply black pickguard on it, and it makes a big difference looks-wise, as well as changed the knobs to 50's "dome" style.  I need to get around and take newer photos of this bass of my own:

S2iiZsP.jpg

5lyAmPz.jpgH

Edited to add: Here's a new photo, just taken this evening:

lMMe9N5.jpg

When i built my "Phantasm" strat I found a great Fender USA neck on Reverb then since this was just a fun project, bought a MIM black poly strat body. Damn, i'm surprised but it actually ended up being really nice. SSS configuration and the routing is perfect. The wood that wasn't painted is nice solid alder, no little bits of wood or anything like that.  Light too. Nicer than some USA stuff I've seen. $249. My buddy who makes strats from scratch was pissed off, lol.

My '59 Burst Standard has a cool (IMO) "flaw" in the top.  It's the dark line that looks like it 's coming out of the tailpiece at about the A sting.  I love stuff like that!  If this guitar got away somehow, even without seeing the serial number I could tell it was mine just by looking at it.  I call it the "loose thread".

IMG_1528.jpg

Archived