Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Dynamite"? I Don't Think So

crunchee

Look at the photos in this PR release for the 2020 MTV VMAs tonight (MTV still shows Music Videos?!?), not a guitar in sight.  Their Twitter excerpts in the announcement sure are self-congratulatory and then some though, I hope they don't break an arm or dislocate their shoulders from patting themselves on the back so hard. <_<  Man, 2020 is sucking more and more every day:

http://www.mtv.com/news/3168335/bts-vmas-doja-cat-j-balvin-performers/#:~:text=The 2020 VMAs just got,new single%2C “Dynamite.”

FWIW, Beavis and Butthead are still around apparently, except they're on Comedy Central now:

I don't know who any of those people are.

This reminds me of earlier this year when Rolling Stone did an article on the Top 10 albums of the year and of the decade, and the Top 10 songs of the year and of the decade and I had only heard OF 4 or 5 of the bands and had only actually heard 1 or 2 of the albums or songs.  I decided to give up my subscription then and there.

Did anybody notice how many cable networks the MTV VMAs were on last night?  Yeah, I know, they're all owned by the same Megacorp.  It sure made it tough to find anything else on Cable TV at the same time, unless you chose to watch Marvel's Black Panther movie as an alternative.   From decider.com:

WHERE CAN I WATCH THE VMAS 2020?

This year’s show will air across a variety of networks. You can watch the VMAs on MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, BET, Pop, Comedy Central, CMT, and The CW.

:wacko:

Now we know how all those accordion players felt in 1968.

48 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Now we know how all those accordion players felt like in 1968.

Verily, verily. But at least those fossils (roughly in their mid-forties at that time) still had steady gigs on the Lawrence Welk Show, which maintained a prime time slot on network TV through the dawn of the '70s and was in syndication at least through the decade that followed.  I remember that latter era vividly, because my grandparents (both sets) somehow--damn the laws of physics--found a way to tune that show in regardless of the day of the week or time of day.  As such, I cringe whenever I hear the sound of an accordion...or commercial references to Geritol, sleep aids, laxatives, denture adhesives, etc. 

My Dad was an excellent accordion player. I still got asked why circus music was coming from our house.

And if you think a 10-pound guitar is heavy, consider strapping 30 pounds across your chest - 30 pounds that has to be pushed and pulled in order to work - for a 4 hour gig. And when you're done, you get to grunt an amp with 52 tubes and a 2x12 cab. Those fuckers were heavy.

ETA: As a kid I remember him having the back off that amp and all that glowing glass. Mesmerizing.

26 minutes ago, hamerhead said:

And when you're done, you get to grunt an amp with 52 tubes and a 2x12 cab. Those fuckers were heavy.

ETA: As a kid I remember him having the back off that amp and all that glowing glass. Mesmerizing.

Wth brand/type of amp was it?  I'm guessing a Cordovox?

https://reverb.com/item/6341983-cordovox-tube-amp-tone-generator-w-2x12-jensen-s

HOLY HELL. Only the Hammond Novachord can compete with something like that. http://discretesynthesizers.com/nova/intro.htm

Some of the videos these days are still pretty darn good. You just need to look at the right artists, who get the right directors for their videos.

First interview I did w/ 38 Special's Jeff Carlisi in '91, he advised that the first instrument he ever learned to play was accordion.

I responded "I don't believe in stereotyping but I take it you're of Italian heritage."

Carlisi: "Right! I had an espresso maker built onto the accordion."

On 9/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, Willie G. Moseley said:

First interview I did w/ 38 Special's Jeff Carlisi in '91, he advised that the first instrument he ever learned to play was accordion.

I responded "I don't believe in stereotyping but I take it you're of Italian heritage."

Carlisi: "Right! I had an espresso maker built onto the accordion."

But did the interview take place in a cozy little restaurant in which the tables were adorned with red-checkered tablecloths and the smell of marinara wafted from the kitchen? 

^^^You left out a wine bottle in the center of the table with a candle in it + oodles of wax buildup all over it from other candles...

Interview was actually at an early Atlanta guitar show; might've been in Smyrna or Marietta

On 9/3/2020 at 1:56 PM, mudshark said:

Far as accordions go, I pity the man who never got to see Beau Jocque or Clifton Chenier or Boozoo Chavis live.

Or Flaco Jiménez

Archived