Hamer Fan Club Message Center

use of stage monitors at home? powered speakers?

Question

Okay, here's the problem. I've got my home studio setup with all the amps in one room and all the cabs in another. When I want to just play, I listen thru my studio monitors in the "control room". I'm concerned about the ability of these studio monitors to stand up to the higher levels of volume I like to hear when I'm rocking out. My idea to spare these studio monitors this abuse is to hook up stage monitors and listen to those instead... or maybe just powered speakers like the JBL EON. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing?

I could easily just put a 1x12 cab in the control room for jamming but I want to hear everything through the Apollo and the preamps and mics and cabs I've got set up.

Edited by LordsoftheJungle

10 answers to this question

Here's the chart of permanent hearing damage and times:

Time to reach 100% noise dose Exposure level per NIOSH REL
8 hours 85 dB(A)
4 hours 88 dB(A)
2 hours 91 dB(A)
60 minutes 94 dB(A)
30 minutes 97 dB(A)
15 minutes 100 dB(A)

I can't imagine you need that much loudness for nearfields that would blow them up...   The proximity of mine makes it a level easily in the upper 90s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d suggest a FRFR, they’re flat and they’re made for guitar. Not cheap but not that much more. They’ve become very popular with the modeler crowd. I personally have not used one. But the design and what it does sounds like what you’re looking for. Used is bound to be less expensive. Freidman makes one that looks like a guitar cabinet.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ASM-12--friedman-asm-12-500-watt-1x12-inch-active-modeler-profiler-monitor

Edited by Dutchman
  • Like 2

The spec says 56watts for each driver and 112dB max SPL.  Even if it's only 100 or so, that's plenty loud.  

I'd look first if you have anything on a battery to make sure that's fresh.  Then, make sure all your contact points are clean and you're using the balanced inputs everywhere and and that your levels are good at each point.  Could be just getting transient peaks at the mic, the input to the pre, the Apollo, or just at a certain frequency that's overloading somewhere.   If the mic has a pad, try that, or back your level down a bit at each point and see if it goes away.  

• Like 2

I own six Mackie HD1221's that are the monitors for my PA system. I use two of them as mains in my practice space or when I do a solo show. The cabinets are designed by Eastern Acoustic Works and are birch plywood. 1200 watts powered with a 12" and a horn. They aren't cheap new, but you can find them used for $400 - 500. I have done a number of shows with the comparable JBL Eon's and these sound way better.

b6f55659-38ad-443f-9a0f-e079298ef2c0_cc30aa38-cffe-47de-ab7e-34e0bfe258a9_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 3

How big is the room with the studio monitors? Unless it’s really big,  you shouldn’t have an issue.

• Like 1

I've got some JBL LS308 monitors, 2-way 56 watt rms. What concerns me is the occasional crackle I hear, could be nothing, could be something... I get the sense that the 56 watt rms is BS.

image.png

Edited by LordsoftheJungle

Haven't tried those Mackies, nor any of the new Eon boxes, but like 15 years ago, the Eon line didn't impress me.  Mackie seems to have really upped their game in the last few years.  Good to hear real world report of them.  

• Like 2

Few considerations. Maybe you don’t like the sound of headphones, or just want to feel the air moving, all good.

I knew an EDM producer who used a set of QSC K 12s as one set of reference monitors, because in most of the clubs his stuff gets played at, that’s what’s installed. I thought that was a pretty cool approach. The original K10s are awesome and can be had for Maybe 400. Rated at 1000 watts or something. I actually sold my K 12s for a club install and bought a set of k10s and they’re my favorites.

As for the eons, the Eon10s are actually the best sounding of all of them (the black ones, not the gray ones) and are floor monitor shaped, and can stand on poles as well (like the Mackies above). Sick value too, they can be had used for like 250. The Eon 12 and 15s are far more unbalanced when sending a flat signal to them. Very directional if placed on the floor.

The newer mackies and EVs are great; high wattage, and several different presets for each curve.

If you are generally down for jamming out loud, def get a dB meter app for your phone and have it where you stand to get a reading. Use a generic mic stand clamp for your iPhone or whatever at your “stage position” and keep track of it. Exposure over 87-91 is definitely damaging, and hearing loss is really real.

Best of Luck!

• Like 2
17 hours ago, geoff_hartwell said:

As for the eons, the Eon10s are actually the best sounding of all of them (the black ones, not the gray ones)

Yeah, it was the gray EONs that I'd used years ago.  The concept was there, just not executed well.