Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: Several Guitars I Said I Would Never Sell - PRICE DROP!

Today's Featured Guitar:

2002 Gene Baker B1 #612

DSCN7271.JPG

This one has changed hands many, many times with several people on this board, but mostly @edgar_allan_poe and I trading/selling it back and forth to each other.

Beautiful, round back neck. No fret wear. 

Made 10/23/2002
Mahogany with carved top.
Tort binding. Tort pick guard.
Standard C profile: .830"/.980"
Ebony fret board
25.5" scale
Grover Rotomatic Tuners
OHSC
Peter Florance VooDoo PAF pickups.
8 pounds, 14.5 ounces

DSCN7263.JPG

DSCN7274.JPG

Baker%20Oblique.jpg

DSCN7259.JPG

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's Featured Guitar:

2012 FACKYO II Stratobird

Why is it called the Fackyo II?
Because Fackyo, and Fackyo II!

received_1331261876886433.jpg

I bought this as a project: bare body and neck made in some guy's garage or basement wood shop.
The idea of a Firebird head stock on a Strat jazzed me and for the $150 he was asking (I think) I figured I'd roll the dice.

CIMG1287.jpg

CIMG1291.jpg

Swimming pool route... no inlays... a blank canvas.

I had a drawer full of humbuckers, so that's what it got at first. For tuners I originally wanted Gibson Firebird tuning machines, but they aren't the best and they're a bit pricey (and heavy), so I opted for the Steinbergers. 

As for paint, I wanted something metallic and nobody sprays metallic and sparkle like Big Ben @Stike.

During the wet-sanding process.

HPIM2820.jpg

The Fackyo II v.1.0

IMG_0177.jpg

Not unlike the Tele Thinline, once it was together, I realized that it was lacking.
I wasn't crazy about the tiny frets and I had (and still have) a dozen guitars with a long scale and dual humbuckers. I found myself thinking I could have thought this one out better.
So, Fackyo II v.2.0 had to happen.

fackyoii.jpg

The Steinberger tuning machines with their 40:1 ratio work really well, so they remained.  Along with the DiMarzio Stratocaster bridge that I had had in the parts drawer for over 30 years, these were the only hardware pieces that remained.

I sent the guitar out to Shane at HEL to refret, rewire and reapply the new custom decals.
My friend Dave Wintz hooked me up with a pair of Rio Grande BBQ Trons, which Shane demos below.

received_1331265856886035.jpg

received_1311573672188587.jpg

9 hours ago, kizanski said:

Today's Featured Guitar:

2012 FACKYO II Stratobird

Why is it called the Fackyo II?
Because Fackyo, and Fackyo II!

received_1331261876886433.jpg

I bought this as a project: bare body and neck made in some guy's garage or basement wood shop.
The idea of a Firebird head stock on a Strat jazzed me and for the $150 he was asking (I think) I figured I'd roll the dice.

CIMG1287.jpg

CIMG1291.jpg

Swimming pool route... no inlays... a blank canvas.

I had a drawer full of humbuckers, so that's what it got at first. For tuners I originally wanted Gibson Firebird tuning machines, but they aren't the best and they're a bit pricey (and heavy), so I opted for the Steinbergers. 

As for paint, I wanted something metallic and nobody sprays metallic and sparkle like Big Ben @Stike.

During the wet-sanding process.

HPIM2820.jpg

The Fackyo II v.1.0

IMG_0177.jpg

Not unlike the Tele Thinline, once it was together, I realized that it was lacking.
I wasn't crazy about the tiny frets and I had (and still have) a dozen guitars with a long scale and dual humbuckers. I found myself thinking I could have thought this one out better.
So, Fackyo II v.2.0 had to happen.

fackyoii.jpg

The Steinberger tuning machines with their 40:1 ratio work really well, so they remained.  Along with the DiMarzio Stratocaster bridge that I had had in the parts drawer for over 30 years, these were the only hardware pieces that remained.

I sent the guitar out to Shane at HEL to refret, rewire and reapply the new custom decals.
My friend Dave Wintz hooked me up with a pair of Rio Grande BBQ Trons, which Shane demos below.

received_1331265856886035.jpg

received_1311573672188587.jpg

That’s freaking great Mike! The SN DMK-LI is priceless.

6 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

This Les Paul is one of the most chimey LPs I’ve ever owned. It plays VERY smooth and fast. New owner will not be disappointed!

You’re NOT helping me here!  😆

On 9/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, kizanski said:

Today's Featured Guitar:

1972 Fender Telecaster Thinline

IMG_7976.jpg

This guitar has a very long and not-so-distinguished history, but one thing you should know going in is that this is all @Jeff R's fault.

Back in 2004, Jeff REE-shard introduced me to an artist named Tab Benoit, who was starting a non-profit organization charged with raising awareness about the eroding Gulf Coast wetlands. This turned out to be prophetic on Tab's part because what no one knew at the time was that a little hurricane named Katrina would show up a year later.
"Voice of the Wetlands" needed a website, and Jeff put us in touch.  During this time I purchased every bit of Tab's music i could find and ate it up.

The next summer Jeff organized a Louisiana tour for me and @edgar_allan_poe which had so many moving parts, and which was executed so flawlessly and without incident, that orchestra leaders are legally obligated to address Jeff as Maestro. At one point we found ourselves sipping moonshine with Tab in his living room. 

-Me, August, 2005, in Tab's Houma, Louisiana backyard, fondling his '72 Thinline - one week before Hurricane Katrina, incidentally.

IMG_0683.JPG

I had to have a Thinline after that, and it had better be a sunburst finish '72.  Then this basket case of a wreck showed up on eBay.

So this shows up on eBay a year later. Just the body, pick guard, neck, tuning machines and OHSC.  If you look at the photos folder, you'll see the guitar in several states of assembly and disassembly.  This guitar was shown no consideration of care before I acquired it, and that's fine. 

BtRrK5gEWkKGrHqUH_CMEvsjKcE3JBL7RVMiIB_3

It's a Fender with a lot of honest wear and a good deal of abuse.
But it had its issues, too.

As I mentioned, I just bought the body and neck. It came with a black pick guard, but being a Tab Benoit fanboi, I wasn't interested in anything that wasn't like Tab's "Big Gun" which sported the pearloid version.

BvNt85wCGkKGrHqVikEv10GqzyBMDoEBJw_3.jpg

BtRrRMgEGkKGrHqYH_DQEvLhrFtiBL7RV4lupw_3

Yes, that's a single coil route in the middle position.  Apparently someone wanted to put the Nashville Tele spin on this Thinline. ho boy...
At least I didn't have to worry about ruining it.

I got as many parts I could directly from Fender; pickups, pick guard, knobs, etc.  I assembled it, but to be honest it wasn't that great a player.  It had the sound (even with me playing it) but the 7.25" neck radius, the small frets and the tons of polyurethane they poured on these necks, it was, in a word, "unpleasant."
Also, the juxtaposition of the beat-to-shit body and neck with the brand new pick guard and hardware was not a good visual fit.
IT didn't look good and it didn't play good.
So it sat, or hung, depending on the situation.

Years later when Jeff started building, repairing, modifying and restoring guitars professionally, I shipped it off to him and told him to go nuts.

It might seem redundant to tell a certified nut to "go nuts," but Jeff also happens to be extremely talented, focused and unwavering in his goal which is perfection.
No other person could have done this for me.   

IMG_7987.jpg

Aging all of the hardware, stripping a ton of poly off of the neck, leveling the board to more of a modern radius, re-fretting with jumbo frets, potting the pickups, splitting the coils, and on and on and on...

Check the photos folder and you'll see dozens and dozens of photos Jeffro snapped while toiling over this instrument.

And that's what it became - an instrument.

Jeff is and artist.

Oh, and he can play, too.

Then he had a buddy come check it out.

So maybe $2,250 sounds like a big ask for a guitar with this much...work...done to it, but there are a good deal of original '72 Thinlines out there for twice the price with which you probably couldn't get through a single "Mary Jane's Last Dance" during your gig at Buffalo Wild Wings.

So, are the pickups wired out of phase in the coil cut situation?  And they're the USA Wide Ranges, I assume...

8 hours ago, Eli said:

So, are the pickups wired out of phase in the coil cut situation?  And they're the USA Wide Ranges, I assume...

@Jeff R might remember how he wired it.  The pickups were from Fender (not from a parts guitar), so I'm not sure where they were made.  

• kizanski changed the title to FS: Several Guitars I Said I Would Never Sell - PRICE DROP!

Did you negotiate visitor’s rights on the Tele?  I’m pretty sure Jeffro would be accommodating...

4 minutes ago, cmatthes said:

Did you negotiate visitor’s rights on the Tele?  I’m pretty sure Jeffro would be accommodating...

My guess is he never lets it out of his sight again.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, kizanski said:

Today's Featured Guitar:

2004 Hamer Korina Special, AKA "The Spruceburst"

sprucey.JPG

I'd wager most of you reading this are already familiar with this guitar and the story of how it came to be and be in my possession.
For those of you who aren't, here we go again.

This guitar is the first of two built.  The only reason there is a second is because this one wasn't built as it was spec'ed. 
Back in 2003, @butcher ordered this guitar as you see it, but with a thin head stock (like on the BCR Juniors of the time) and strip tuners.
Like this.

DSCN4928.JPG

When the guitar arrived, it had the standard thickness head stock and Grover tuning machines.

popjlsywkc388mn4w1wr.jpg

Butcher was disappointed and opted for Hamer to make him a replacement.  As luck would have it, I stumbled into the frame shortly after this exchange and this guitar was up for grabs.

I grabbed it.

Here's the Custom Order Certificate which lists the spruce top, korina body & neck, Sustain Block bridge from @hamerhead, etc, and Me as the customer interestingly enough.    Hmmmmmmm....

co_cert650.jpg

Even with all of the custom features, it's not unique, however.
There is another. Butcher has it, he plays it, and he never sells anything.
So, while you may see another, this is the only one you'll ever see for sale.

Choose wisely.

IMG_0065.JPG

Sprucestainblockedge2.JPG

nwoqchsqayvmvr6bkkzf.jpg

What a beauty.

Archived