Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs I Don't Ever Need To Hear Again

kizanski

@MCChris got me thinking about this recently, so I know he has some great input to share.

So, these are songs by popular bands/artists that you simply never want to hear again.
I'm not talking about "I like this band but I just don't like the song."

I'm talking about The Beatles' "Yesterday," for example.  Great song. Never want to hear it again.
The Ramones' "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker."  Honorable mention for "I Wanna Be Sedated." One of my favorite groups ever. Never want to hear those songs again.
The Clash's "Train in Vain."  Possibly my favorite group, aside from The Who.  Never want to hear that song again.
Devo's "Whip It." Instant channel changer from one of my favorites.
James Brown's "I Got You" (aka: I Feel Good). One of the greatest, prolific, consistent artists ever to walk on this big blue ball, and you'd think he had only performed one song.

I know that a lot of you are going to be tempted to post Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing," and that's fine. I'm biased when it comes to Jimi and can never skip past any of his songs.
Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride And Joy." Like "Little Wing" it's been done to death, played out past infinity, but when I first heard it in '83, I had two guitars that I had put away in the closet years ago. The desire to play had completely left me. 
When I heard "Pride and Joy," sitting in my buddy's Toyota waiting for him to come out of the 7-11, it lit a fire in me that I will never forget.  The flame is just about gone now ("Candle in the Wind" anybody? ..no?...), but I still hear what I heard. You're welcome to include these songs on your list.  I just can't sign off on them myself.

So, let's hear it. Or should I say, let's not ever hear it again.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoagy Carmichael wrote a nice song called Georgia on My Mind.  The lyrics seem to be more about a girl than the state.  There have been way too many times that song was played at concerts in the state of Georgia.  The performers likely did not play that song at other stops on tour, just the concert halls in Georgia.  Some would. 

Imagine going to see Yo Yo Ma, Cannibal Corpse, Matisyahu, or Dream Theater and during the show they pander with... Georgia, Geooooorgia   This old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind...  The song is like a curse on concerts in Atlanta, Athens, and anywhere else I go to shows down there. 

22 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:Georgia, Geooooorgia   This old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind...  The song is like a curse on concerts in Atlanta, Athens, and anywhere else I go to shows down there. 

Well, AC/DC didn’t play it when they were in Atlanta. Just sayin’. 😀

"Mother": The Police. No wonder they didn't originally include it on some audio formats (IIRC). The Police were one of the most innovative bands ever, but Andy Summers is a "singer" (w/ snide quote marks) like Yoko Ono is a "singer".

Ditto "Be My Girl--Sally" on the Bottle Blonds' first album. Silly.

"Illegal Alien": Genesis. I like most of the pop-style Genesis stuff (including the hits as well as that great concert medley w/ "Turn It On Again" as the base), mainly on accounta the Missus likes it--something we can both listen to and enjoy on trips, etc. That said, "Illegal Alien" would be branded by present-day activists as racist...and it pretty much is, but (a) I didn't like it back then anyway and (b) I still use the term that's the title instead of "undocumented worker" or whatever.

15 minutes ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

"Mother": The Police. No wonder they didn't originally include it on some audio formats (IIRC). The Police were one of the most innovative bands ever, but Andy Summers is a "singer" (w/ snide quote marks) like Yoko Ono is a "singer".

"Illegal Alien": Genesis. I like most of the pop-style Genesis stuff (including the hits as well as that great concert medley w/ "Turn It On Again" as the base), mainly on accounta the Missus likes it--something we can both listen to and enjoy on trips, etc. That said, "Illegal Alien" would be branded by present-day activists as racist...and it pretty much is, but (a) I didn't like it back then anyway and (b) I still use the term that's the title instead of "undocumented worker" or whatever.

What radio station are you listening to where any of these songs are in constant rotation? 

"Be My Girl--Sally"?  "Mother"?

smh

I blame the laziness of program directors of "Classic Rock" FM stations, but there are many songs thst fit the OPs description:

AC/DC: "Shook Me All Night Long" and "Thunderstruck". The former has a perfect guitar solo, but it might be one of the most overplayed songs in rock history.

Clapton: JJ Cale's "Cocaine", while hailed as great by many fans, is one of the laziest and boring  compositions to rate as a hit IMHO. 

Same for "Can't You See", Marshall Tucker Band's signature song. Any time I'd go to a jam and someone wanted to play either of those songs, I had to stifle a gag reflex.  It's a three chord bore fest adored mostly by drunks in bars at 1:00am and beginning guitar players. A damn shame, as the band had several tunes that were solid compositions.

Skynyrd: Yes, "Freebird", but also "Call Me the Breeze", another cover of a lazy, monotonous tune penned by the ridiculously overrated Cale. 

Boston: "Don't Look Back".  Nine times out of ten that a radio station plays a Boston tune, it's inexplicably this one.

GnR: I have long exhausted any patience for their song by the same name. Long, monotonous, slow, and lazy. 

59 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Can't really relate to this one, seeing as I've never heard it or heard of it. 

You're lucky. Don't

I will add Led Zeps' Stairway to Heaven. Maybe (IMO)the greatest rock song ever, but my local station plays it multiple times daily. We don't have much for radio stations around here.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Is that the red or the white...?

New England is White/cream-based, Manhattan is Red.

1 hour ago, duncans said:

We don't have much for radio stations around here

106.3 or 104.3.... I know that area and those stations to well!!! Hippie Rock is their Mantra!!

1 hour ago, cmatthes said:

New England is White/cream-based, Manhattan is Red.

Yeah, was just continuing the movie dialogue. Club scene from Ace Ventura with cannibal corpse and the secret password...

and I never liked Manhattan clam chowder as a kid. Wasn’t a fan of the tomato base. I should probably try it again sometime but New England is one of my favorites...

2 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

From the Police- Every Breath You Take.

5 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

Florida Georgia Line, This is how we roll. 

GAME OVER. 

Once was more than enough for me.

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

Can't really relate to this one, seeing as I've never heard it or heard of it. 

Consider yourself lucky.

I really never need to hear You Can't Always Get What You Want again. The 5 Pink Floyd songs that classic rock radio has flogged to death as well.

Kiss- Beth and Rock N Roll All Nite

I'll admit, partially predicated on having played R N R A N for the last 8 years in a cover band. That'll make shit get old REAL quick. :P

7 hours ago, tommy p said:

My AC/DC tribute band opened for a GnR tribute band last night.  Sweet Child o' Mine and Paradise City immediately come to mind.

Yes.  I’ve had my fill of both of these. Enough for the rest of my life.

1 hour ago, Stike said:

Once was more than enough for me.

Consider yourself lucky.

I really never need to hear You Can't Always Get What You Want again. The 5 Pink Floyd songs that classic rock radio has flogged to death as well.

You hit that one on the head, classic rock radio ruined Pink Floyd for me. 

Archived