Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs I Don't Ever Need To Hear Again

kizanski

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/17/2020 at 8:09 PM, Toadroller said:

Don't know how I missed this thread, but it's reducing down to a simmering sauce that exposes classic rock radio for the 500 song rotation that it is.

That said, I HATE THE FUCKING EAGLES.

*I could listen to Ray Charles sing Georgia on my Mind and Susan Tedeschi sing Angel from Montgomery for the rest of my life

For their songs or the fact that they single handedly jacked up concert prices when "Hell Froze Over"?

On 9/18/2020 at 4:36 AM, tommy p said:

Using your 500-song example, I hate that if you listen to a Clear Channel classic rock station anywhere in the country, the song list is 450 of the same songs and 50 that might be more popular in that area.

I just watched a documentary on Amazon Prime about the corporate radio takeover.  Some of my friends worked for one of the biggest stations in my area and the stories they told me were very similar to the ones in the doc.  It's called Corporate FM for anyone who is interested.

Luckily there is a tiny station in Ashland, VA (WHAN) that plays whatever the hell they want to.  If they say they're going to play a Cars song it will probably be Candy-o or Moving In Stereo or something even deeper.  They also play deep country gospel on Sunday mornings and bluegrass a good part of the day.  I often find myself saying "I know that's [whatever band] but I don't know that song".  I've used Shazam listening to them dozens of times and I'm sure it will continue.  The only problem is their signal is very weak.  I live less than 10 miles from the station and you can only pick them up for about 15-20 so as soon as I leave the house I get about 5-10 minutes to listen to them before I'm out of range.

KEXP in Seattle and KCSB in Santa Barbara are both great stations. You can live stream them both. KEXP has some of the best live shows youll ever find on Youtube . KCSB does have a lot of boring stuff too but you have pick and choose  to find the good shows. 

7 hours ago, kizanski said:

As much as I would love to get my old Baker back (but I appreciate the ray of hope), this thread isn't about "groups we can't stand" or songs by random artists that we never liked and are now totally sick of. That's too easy.
I'll never understand the popularity of Dexys Midnight Runners and their one mega hit, and as much as it makes me want to commit murder, it's not what I'm looking for here.

What I'm looking for is songs by long established artists who you actually enjoy.  My examples in the OP should explain it well enough. But just for fun...

Some more examples: 

• I never want to hear "Brown Sugar" again.  The Stones were great.  That song is finished.
  • Ok - I'm going to do it. I'm going to go back on my original stance on Jimi Hendrix.  I think I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing "Hey Joe" again.  I know @jisham would agree.
  • The Police's "Wrapped Around Your Finger".  Please.  No more.
  • Another Ramones song: "Rock 'n' Roll High School".  'nuff said.

C'mon Eileen...

22 hours ago, scottcald said:

For their songs or the fact that they single handedly jacked up concert prices when "Hell Froze Over"?

It's the music.  Lordy, I've never wanted to see them in concert.

First note of Hotel California* and boom- next song please.

* should be the thread-ender and all-time, universally-agreed-to winner of "Songs I don't ever need to hear again"

7 hours ago, Toadroller said:

It's the music.  Lordy, I've never wanted to see them in concert.

First note of Hotel California* and boom- next song please.

* should be the thread-ender and all-time, universally-agreed-to winner of "Songs I don't ever need to hear again"

Well, you can check out........😆

Following The Kiz directive:

I will alway be a fan of Cheap Trick but never need to hear Surrender, IWYTWM Dream Police or I Know What i Want again.

I will gladly listen to a repeating loop of the first album for 24 hours straight.

20 minutes ago, BadgerDave said:

Following The Kiz directive:

Thank you! This is what I'm talking about.

Some of the rest of you are just listing artists that you hate or "one hit wonders" that you're sick of.

Also following the Kiz directive:

Steve Miller Band:  Still think the three-part harmonies and jangly tones were a nice departure from most other bands of that era, but I'll not miss hearing "Bingo Jed Had a Lighter", "Take the Money and Run", "The Joker", or "Fly Like an Eagle" ever again.

The Who:  One of my favorite bands, but thanks to Jerry Bruckheimer, I cringe whenever I hear "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "Who Are You". Enough, already.

BTO: I like Randy Bachman's playing just fine and still enjoy spinning some Guess Who, but damn.  Does anyone really need to hear "Taking Care of Business" one more time?

Led Zeppelin:  I'm a lifelong Zep devotee, but I have no more patience for "Fool in the Rain" and "D'yer Mak'er", especially given how much they've driven in the ground by FM radio.

More later...

17 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that The Kiz Directive will be the name of my next band

Will the setlist be all of the songs/artists mentioned in this thread?

1 minute ago, Ed Rechts said:

Natch.

And we will be playing every Holiday Inn cocktail  bar near an airport in America, booked 5 outta 7/365

At least you'll have a bigger dressing room than the puppets.

Archived