Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs I Don't Ever Need To Hear Again

kizanski

2 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Kiss- Beth and Rock N Roll All Nite

I'll admit, partially predicated on having played R N R A N for the last 8 years in a cover band. That'll make shit get old REAL quick. :P

Bruce Kulick said the same thing about Rock N Roll All Nite. 

When my band played it we always had people singing along.  It made the bar crowd happy. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Bruce Kulick said the same thing about Rock N Roll All Nite. 

When my band played it we always had people singing along.  It made the bar crowd happy. 

Absolutely. It's a crowd pleaser for the most part. But after rehearsing and performing it thousands of times, you'll beg for mercy.

5 minutes ago, diablo175 said:

But after rehearsing and performing it thousands of times, you'll beg for mercy.

Just think about how Gene and Paul feel about it.
Or the Stones about "(I Can't Get No" Satisfaction" or Pete and Roger performing "My Generation" for 55 years.
It sounds exciting at first glance, but it's no wonder hotel rooms and automobiles (and drummers) get trashed.

11 hours ago, tommy p said:

My AC/DC tribute band opened for a GnR tribute band last night.  Sweet Child o' Mine and Paradise City immediately come to mind.

Did you fire your singer and try to hire theirs? 

And am I actually the first person to make that joke on this thread?

Kansas- Carry On My Wayward Son & Dust in the Bin

Bob Seger - Everything.

Manfred Mann - Blinded By The Light

Bad Company - Everything

AC/DC - All of the album Back in Black; Walmart put the nails in the coffin of the album’s namesake song. Shit. Thanksgiving is only two months away, means we’ll start hearing it on TV tomorrow.                                          

The Doors - The Doors

Yes, five Pink Floyd tunes.

One from one of my favorite bands - Who Are You? I blame CSI not Cox Communications or iHeart...

George Thorogood - yes.

Def Leppard - Everything from Pyromania on..

Others, most of which have been previously mentioned, and much more, but it pains my brain thinking of them.

17 hours ago, Dutchman said:

Ahhh...Freebird...love Skynard... but 

and Cocaine... Clapton’s ok... but I could live out my life and never hear that again...

I still cringe at the number of times my old band played Cocaine and Rocky Mountain Way -- like I must have performed both in several different bands about 1000 times or more before I turned 21..... I don't even think I like Rocky Mountain Way and Cocaine was a nothing burger from the start.... What kills me is I know that if I started a band tomorrow someone would toss both songs into the prospective pile!

I agree with Rock n Roll all Nite. When that song first came out it was a anthem but it hasn’t aged well. On the other hand from the same album I never get tired of Strutter. 
I will pass on Stairway to Heaven but still love Rock n Roll. 
The same goes for Back in Black but I never get tired of Bon Scott AC/DC. 

10 hours ago, LucSulla said:

Did you fire your singer and try to hire theirs? 

And am I actually the first person to make that joke on this thread?

I suggested we do a fake firing mid-show and have their Axl come out and do a song or two, but we didn't even interact with the other band before, during, or after the show.  They're based in Raleigh, NC and play all over the country and we're just local, so they may have felt "above" us.  They may as well have been the real GnR.  They were good but their Izzy played through 2 full Marshall stacks with max distortion and was using a Suhr or Tom Anderson or some kind of custom super-Strat.  Most un-Izzy-like.

1 hour ago, princeofdarkness56 said:

I agree with Rock n Roll all Nite. When that song first came out it was a anthem but it hasn’t aged well. On the other hand from the same album I never get tired of Strutter. 

"Strutter" was on the first, self-titled KISS album. "Rock and Roll All Nite" was on Dressed to Kill.

I don't listen to the radio like I once did, but these songs will cause me to break a finger smashing the radio buttons to get the channel changed in time:

Steve Miller: Anything. Everything. His entire catalog.  Eff that dude. 

Foghat's Slow Ride.  I get really frothy at the mouth when this comes on a XM Radio station.  "We're paying for this shit?!"

GnR:  Knockin On Heaven's Door.  Who thought that sniffin' your rank subjugation business was good anyway?  Boop boop beep boop, screw you Axl. 

FREEBIRD.  Just no.  Please no.

Bad Company falls into the Steve Miller camp for me.   Baby, when I think about ya, I think about homi-ciiiiiiiide.

Five Flavor Fruit Punch and all these post Nickleback sounding rock bands with yarling vocalists. Barf. 

Staind.  Great job on naming your band after your underwear fellas. 

1 hour ago, tommy p said:

I suggested we do a fake firing mid-show and have their Axl come out and do a song or two, but we didn't even interact with the other band before, during, or after the show.  They're based in Raleigh, NC and play all over the country and we're just local, so they may have felt "above" us.  They may as well have been the real GnR.  They were good but their Izzy played through 2 full Marshall stacks with max distortion and was using a Suhr or Tom Anderson or some kind of custom super-Strat.  Most un-Izzy-like.

Was it "Nighttrain"?  If so, I went to high school with that guy, and it's a blinged-out Zion he's playing.  VERY un-Izzylike and in stark contrast to the Slash character he plays with.  Really surprised Jeff hasn't picked up a Gibson semi-hollow for that role considering how much $ he's always spent on gear. He was an OK guy and solid player when I knew him in the '80s, but he played obscenely loud through full stacks back then, so I'm guessing that his hearing is shot. Given that these guys gig outside NC frequently, I can see how that might go to their heads. 

On 9/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, kizanski said:

@Steve Haynie - props for the Cannibal Corpse reference.  

New England...  Clam...  Chowderrr...

I know for most people around my age, that was our first exposure to "Death Metal". Some of my friends didn't believe it was a "real band".

"No one sings like that". Oh if only they would have known what things would be like in a decade or so.

4 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

Was it "Nighttrain"?  If so, I went to high school with that guy, and it's a blinged-out Zion he's playing.  VERY un-Izzylike and in stark contrast to the Slash character he plays with.  Really surprised Jeff hasn't picked up a Gibson semi-hollow for that role considering how much $ he's always spent on gear. He was an OK guy and solid player when I knew him in the '80s, but he played obscenely loud through full stacks back then, so I'm guessing that his hearing is shot. Given that these guys gig outside NC frequently, I can see how that might go to their heads.

It was in fact Nightrain!  Funny thing - because there was no interaction between the bands before the show, and I don't think any of them came out and watched us at all I think your friend thought I worked at the theater.  I had moved all my gear behind the stage immediately when we stopped playing and then took it out piece by piece casually.  When I made my last check to be sure I had not forgotten anything, I stood there on that side of the stage watching them for a few minutes (well out of audience view - I'm not a complete douche) and he came over to me and says "Aren't there any towels for us to use?  Can you go find me some towels?"  I left after that, but not because of that.  I had heard 5 or 6 songs and Sweet Child was coming up so in the spirit of this thread, I said "fuck that noise".

The Axl guy was good but anytime he wasn't singing he ran full speed offstage on one side or the other.  I'm not sure what the purpose of that was, but he damn near hit people more than once.  The Slash guy had the "right" guitars including a Slash signature LP and also played two stacks but they were Splawn amps in Marshall head boxes.  Cheater!

OK, I'll play. Songs that I don't want to hear again...

Mustang Sally - Any version

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

Skynyrd - Simple Man, Sweet Home Alabama

The Doors - The entire catalog

Led Zep - Stairway

Subway - The $5 Foot Long Jingle

12 minutes ago, tommy p said:

It was in fact Nightrain!  Funny thing - because there was no interaction between the bands before the show, and I don't think any of them came out and watched us at all I think your friend thought I worked at the theater.  I had moved all my gear behind the stage immediately when we stopped playing and then took it out piece by piece casually.  When I made my last check to be sure I had not forgotten anything, I stood there on that side of the stage watching them for a few minutes (well out of audience view - I'm not a complete douche) and he came over to me and says "Aren't there any towels for us to use?  Can you go find me some towels?"  I left after that, but not because of that.  I had heard 5 or 6 songs and Sweet Child was coming up so in the spirit of this thread, I said "fuck that noise".

The Axl guy was good but anytime he wasn't singing he ran full speed offstage on one side or the other.  I'm not sure what the purpose of that was, but he damn near hit people more than once.  The Slash guy had the "right" guitars including a Slash signature LP and also played two stacks but they were Splawn amps in Marshall head boxes.  Cheater!

They're probably a solid outfit based on their ages and experience, but I have less than zero interest in a GnR reboot. Hell, I never liked GnR much when they were on top of the world via AfD.  My old classmate Jeff was a die-hard metalhead who never grew out of it; meaning, I got the impression that he never really grew, musically speaking.  In fairness, I've not seen him or spoken to him since probably 1988, so I'm not sure who he became.  That said, I can totally see he and his bandmates being dicks to venue managers and other bands, as that would align with the '80s-metal-rock-god paradigm that would be available to guys in the mid-50s living out their costumed fantasies.  I will say that I found him via Fb and once that I saw that he posted more about politics than about music, I put aside any interest in reconnecting. 

And yeah, "Jungle", "Paradise City", and "Sweet Child" have been made, played and Chick-Fil-A'ed.  There's really no logical reason for those tunes to be played again...ever.

2 minutes ago, slingblader said:

lol!  Don't forget the Kars For Kids jingle.
But again, we're talking about played out songs from long-established artists.

Just now, kizanski said:

lol!  Don't forget the Kars For Kids jingle.
But again, we're talking about played out songs from long-established artists.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Sorry to stray, but that tune annoys the living shit outta me. :D

11 minutes ago, slingblader said:

OK, I'll play. Songs that I don't want to hear again...

Mustang Sally - Any version

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

Skynyrd - Simple Man, Sweet Home Alabama

The Doors - The entire catalog

Led Zep - Stairway

Yup.  You played in a few bars, didn't you?  Been there.  Hated that. 

11 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

I hate that fucking song.

I want to smash each one of those kids over the head with that pink Dean every time that commercial comes on

The good news is they accept campers, boats and RVs, too!
What? You don't want my fucking house?

24 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Yup.  You played in a few bars, didn't you?  Been there.  Hated that. 

Yeah, more than I would care to admit, although I did tour professionally for about 10 years. 

Archived