Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Songs I Don't Ever Need To Hear Again

kizanski

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, kizanski said:

lol!  Don't forget the Kars For Kids jingle.
But again, we're talking about played out songs from long-established artists.

Sheesh. I'd not seen that and I'm not better off for having taken the bait.  But...I'm not sure it's any better than this shitty earworm from the late-80s:

You're welcome.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is really anything by Journey or Fleetwood Mac post Peter Green.  I never liked Journey, but I did, at one time, like Fleetwood Mac all right.  Ever since School of Rock it seems, there has been this resurgence of women who seem to seriously think of Stevie Nicks as some kind of witchy, middle-aged role model.   It's so cringe inducing that it pretty much completely put me off the band. 

42 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Holy reeks of the desperation of starving musicians, Batman.

37 minutes ago, crunchee said:

They weren't the only ones:

Doood! Stones get a pass; I mean they’re, you know, Jagger & Richard! Nothing Mick and Keef do is uncool.

21 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Bruce Kulick said the same thing about Rock N Roll All Nite. 

When my band played it we always had people singing along.  It made the bar crowd happy. 

21 hours ago, diablo175 said:

Absolutely. It's a crowd pleaser for the most part. But after rehearsing and performing it thousands of times, you'll beg for mercy.

If you feel like you've got to have it in the playlist, try segueing into "Land of 1000 Dances" during the drum break for a chorus and a verse before ending it Alive! style.  Or is that just as bad?

18 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Ever since School of Rock it seems, there has been this resurgence of women who seem to seriously think of Stevie Nicks as some kind of witchy, middle-aged role model.   It's so cringe inducing that it pretty much completely put me off the band. 

Check out the Bob Welch era, ca. '70-'75. No Nicks.

48 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Doood! Stones get a pass; I mean they’re, you know, Jagger & Richard! Nothing Mick and Keef do is uncool.

Supposedly (according to the note attached to the YooToob post), Brian Jones wrote the music, while the advertising company they did it for supplied the lyrics.

54 minutes ago, LucSulla said:

Ever since School of Rock it seems, there has been this resurgence of women who seem to seriously think of Stevie Nicks as some kind of witchy, middle-aged role model.   It's so cringe inducing that it pretty much completely put me off the band. 

Reminds me of this clip from Sid and Nancy...video quality's not the best, there's longer versions of the whole scene on YooToob that are clearer, but you have to sit through more of it for Nancy's reaction:

14 hours ago, LucSulla said:

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is really anything by Journey or Fleetwood Mac post Peter Green.  I never liked Journey, but I did, at one time, like Fleetwood Mac all right.  Ever since School of Rock it seems, there has been this resurgence of women who seem to seriously think of Stevie Nicks as some kind of witchy, middle-aged role model.   It's so cringe inducing that it pretty much completely put me off the band. 

Right there with you on Nicks.  I describe her voice as a bleating goat and her lyrics as angsty middle school girl poetry.  She screwed her way into the band and then caused more than her fair share of drama.  Even the weird-ass gypsy witch persona is annoying to me.

BTW, has anyone mentioned Wagon Wheel yet?

I'd gladly listen to most of what's been listed if I never have to hear Yngwie Malmsteen decide he needs to sing again.  

Oh, sorry, I meant Yngwie J. Malmsteen, should you think I was referring to one of the myriad of other Yngwie Malmsteens in the music business. 

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

Oh, sorry, I meant Yngwie J. Malmsteen, should you think I was referring to one of the myriad of other Yngwie Malmsteens in the music business. 

Don't know how I missed this thread, but it's reducing down to a simmering sauce that exposes classic rock radio for the 500 song rotation that it is.

That said, I HATE THE FUCKING EAGLES.

*I could listen to Ray Charles sing Georgia on my Mind and Susan Tedeschi sing Angel from Montgomery for the rest of my life

14 hours ago, Toadroller said:

Don't know how I missed this thread, but it's reducing down to a simmering sauce that exposes classic rock radio for the 500 song rotation that it is.

That said, I HATE THE FUCKING EAGLES.

*I could listen to Ray Charles sing Georgia on my Mind and Susan Tedeschi sing Angel from Montgomery for the rest of my life

Using your 500-song example, I hate that if you listen to a Clear Channel classic rock station anywhere in the country, the song list is 450 of the same songs and 50 that might be more popular in that area.

I just watched a documentary on Amazon Prime about the corporate radio takeover.  Some of my friends worked for one of the biggest stations in my area and the stories they told me were very similar to the ones in the doc.  It's called Corporate FM for anyone who is interested.

Luckily there is a tiny station in Ashland, VA (WHAN) that plays whatever the hell they want to.  If they say they're going to play a Cars song it will probably be Candy-o or Moving In Stereo or something even deeper.  They also play deep country gospel on Sunday mornings and bluegrass a good part of the day.  I often find myself saying "I know that's [whatever band] but I don't know that song".  I've used Shazam listening to them dozens of times and I'm sure it will continue.  The only problem is their signal is very weak.  I live less than 10 miles from the station and you can only pick them up for about 15-20 so as soon as I leave the house I get about 5-10 minutes to listen to them before I'm out of range.

2 hours ago, The Shark said:

Anything by the Bee Gees.  That falsetto voice just makes me want to kill myself...

But then Kiz would get the Baker back...

As much as I would love to get my old Baker back (but I appreciate the ray of hope), this thread isn't about "groups we can't stand" or songs by random artists that we never liked and are now totally sick of. That's too easy.
I'll never understand the popularity of Dexys Midnight Runners and their one mega hit, and as much as it makes me want to commit murder, it's not what I'm looking for here.

What I'm looking for is songs by long established artists who you actually enjoy.  My examples in the OP should explain it well enough. But just for fun...

Some more examples: 

• I never want to hear "Brown Sugar" again.  The Stones were great.  That song is finished.
  • Ok - I'm going to do it. I'm going to go back on my original stance on Jimi Hendrix.  I think I can go the rest of my life without ever hearing "Hey Joe" again.  I know @jisham would agree.
  • The Police's "Wrapped Around Your Finger".  Please.  No more.
  • Another Ramones song: "Rock 'n' Roll High School".  'nuff said.

Archived