Hamer Fan Club Message Center

"Why on Earth do you need another Hamer?!", asked my wife.

Wife:  "Why on Earth do you need another Hamer?!"

Me:  "This is a Newport Pro!  A nice member of HFC offered to sell it to me."

Wife:  "Didn't you just buy a Hamer?!"

Me:  "Yes, but that was an Artist Custom."  [I bought it in June of this year.]

Wife:  "And don't you already have a few others?"

Me:  "Well, yes.  I bought a Duotone in October of last year, and a Studio in November."

Wife:  "Then what are you doing?!"

Now, fellow members, what would you do in this situation?  This required some fast thinking on my part.  My beautiful wife surely wouldn't go for the want vs. need argument here.  I needed something more analytical.

Me:  "You know, the Artist Custom has only a single f-hole."

Wife:  "So what?"

Me:  "Well, the Newport Pro has two f-holes.  My Duotone has three holes, and the Studio has none.  This would complete the set..."

Wife:  "Oh... okay."

Fellow members, it worked!  Here is a picture of my little Hamer guitar family.  Thank you to soli'd for selling the beautiful Newport Pro to me.

Hamer guitar family.JPG

Next time tell her you’re buying two Hamers. When she asks what you think you’re doing, tell her you’re buying a pair like a “his and hers” set, so she can have one to learn on and you think it would be a great way to spend more time together. 

She’ll either ask you how stupid do you really think she is, or will be so stumped (or swooned) by the gesture you’ll be in her good graces for a week. Either way you score two more Hamers.

2 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Next time tell her you’re buying two Hamers. When she asks what you think you’re doing, tell her you’re buying a pair like a “his and hers” set, so she can have one to learn on and you think it would be a great way to spend more time together. 

She’ll either ask you how stupid do you really think she is, or will be so stumped (or swooned) by the gesture you’ll be in her good graces for a week. Either way you score two more Hamers.

Great idea, but I just bought her a ukulele (with hardshell case) for our wedding anniversary.  I'm not joking!

2 hours ago, ptm1diver said:

How many children do you have?

If you have 3 for example, then buy 3 Hamers next time.  One to celebrate each child.  

This may not work if you have 8 children.

A lot of us have enough Hamers to celebrate an entire classroom or at least the football team. 

My kit just appears magically, without evidence of having been received. Sold kit goes out with fanfare. Same for my wife and her passion/business. Our tacit understanding to not get stupid about it, and to support each other in our individual pursuits, makes it work.

Oh, and everything cost and sold for treefiddy. That helps as well.

5 hours ago, Studio Custom said:

You married the wrong girl.   

My wife just encouraged me to order Knaggs SSXF that will be the pinnacle of their output to date to ensure it’s here by Christmas.   

I'm sure your wife is great..... but she knew you were going to get it anyway😃. She is also smart and played her hand well.

arniez

I remember reading on the Gear Page that some guy wrote, "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her that I paid for it!"

5 hours ago, Menehune said:

My kit just appears magically, without evidence of having been received. Sold kit goes out with fanfare. Same for my wife and her passion/business. Our tacit understanding to not get stupid about it, and to support each other in our individual pursuits, makes it work.

Oh, and everything cost and sold for treefiddy. That helps as well.

I remember reading on the Gear Page that some guy wrote, "My biggest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her that I paid for it!"

32 minutes ago, HamerCustomEr said:

Oh no, my gal's sharp. I've set aside an inventory with current estimated values, suggestions where to sell it, and credentials to my HFC and Reverb accounts. When she shows up here to sell off the dead guy's gear, please be kind and haggle fair prices.

Of course the reverse isn't true. Most of her hoard is raw materials I can at best sell for pennies on the dollar, increasing the odds I'll just keep it around and let it remind me all the more of her. Told you she was sharp.

I remember the Bernie Marsden interview where he talks about his collection and he said to his family he's equated them to things they're familiar with for when he passes.  "This one is a BMW", "This one's a flat in this area" and so forth.  Made me laugh.  

On 9/14/2020 at 3:08 PM, Jimbilly said:

Keep enough gear buys/sells swirling around, and talk about all of them (especially the sells): another guitar or piece of gear will be the last thing she wants to hear about. 

That works...AND, if you talk about multitudes of “I’m selling “X” so I can buy “Y”, when new stuff hits, she may ask is that one “Y”, I thought that came last week; your reply of course would be “Y”came two weeks ago, last week “L” came after I sold “C”, this one is”P” from the sale of “Q”..she’ll be so confused it won’t be questioned any longer. 

On 9/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, ptm1diver said:

How many children do you have?

If you have 3 for example, then buy 3 Hamers next time.  One to celebrate each child.  

This may not work if you have 8 children.

I´ll have a problem right now: Two children and 9 Hamer guitars. What should I do? Sell some Hamers or.... I don´t think my wife would be lucky to increase number of children....  Way out: one Hamer for every year : Would be a great possibility: They are 17 an 19 years old. I have a look at ebay soon :-)

@HamerCustomEr You're clearly missing a Monaco III in that collection.

Financially, Mrs. Toadroller and I have (finally) reached the point where buying another piece of stereo equipment, guitar or purse or camera lens isn't a big deal.  So we pursue our personal interests.

It's having space that's become the limiting factor.

4 hours ago, JochenP said:

I´ll have a problem right now: Two children and 9 Hamer guitars. What should I do? Sell some Hamers or.... I don´t think my wife would be lucky to increase number of children....  Way out: one Hamer for every year : Would be a great possibility: They are 17 an 19 years old. I have a look at ebay soon 🙂

Tell her the other guitars are from the extra marital affairs.  🙄

On 9/20/2020 at 10:24 AM, Toadroller said:

@HamerCustomEr You're clearly missing a Monaco III in that collection.

Financially, Mrs. Toadroller and I have (finally) reached the point where buying another piece of stereo equipment, guitar or purse or camera lens isn't a big deal.  So we pursue our personal interests.

It's having space that's become the limiting factor.

Exactly.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, HamerCustomEr said:

Wife:  "Why on Earth do you need another Hamer?!"

Me:  "This is a Newport Pro!  A nice member of HFC offered to sell it to me."

Wife:  "Didn't you just buy a Hamer?!"

Me:  "Yes, but that was an Artist Custom."  [I bought it in June of this year.]

Wife:  "And don't you already have a few others?"

Me:  "Well, yes.  I bought a Duotone in October of last year, and a Studio in November."

Wife:  "Then what are you doing?!"

Now, fellow members, what would you do in this situation?  This required some fast thinking on my part.  My beautiful wife surely wouldn't go for the want vs. need argument here.  I needed something more analytical.

Me:  "You know, the Artist Custom has only a single f-hole."

Wife:  "So what?"

Me:  "Well, the Newport Pro has two f-holes.  My Duotone has three holes, and the Studio has none.  This would complete the set..."

Wife:  "Oh... okay."

Fellow members, it worked!  Here is a picture of my little Hamer guitar family.  Thank you to soli'd for selling the beautiful Newport Pro to me.

Hamer guitar family.JPG

Dude, you definitely won the internet.  You may have just won marriage.  I stand in awe. :D

Archived