Hamer Fan Club Message Center

109: A Pictorial Of Progress...

PFunk

Hi All- After witnessing over the past three years so many of Mike’s previous works come to completion on both this site & fb- two years ago I willingly threw my name into the Shishkov Sweepstakes.

Given the serial number count at the time along with getting some glimpses of the meticulous work that was put into each and every instrument, it was obvious that it would be some time before this build would start, so it was like- OK, enjoy the ride.

The builds that have been shared since have been full of so many really cool and unique ideas...so much so that just when one thinks they might have what they had envisioned figured out, something else is presented that prompts further creative thought....I’m sure many of us can relate, right?

So when Trish recently notified me that 109 was in the next batch and after confirming some details, the top was soon selected. Then last week after talking pickups with Josh Gravelin, I spoke with Mike about a few more things and about an hour later Trish sent me a few photos of the neck. That’s when it finally set in- This build is now happening!

So here they are- and seemingly sort of like seeing those first ultrasounds of a child, Number 109...

57D37366-82DE-4226-80DE-479561E33A15.jpeg

04A73853-136B-49F2-89FF-0FFF0E363B25.jpeg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

I hope the builds are continuing to move right along....I am sure the pandemic hasn’t helped things...

Mike is still working steadily away...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All- Happy 2021. I don’t have any news and have been away due to a recent surgical procedure a few months back but am sure that Mike’s been busy. When the time comes that something is shared with me I’ll post it here. If not, then we’ll fast forward to the finished result and that sure fits into the progress category, right?Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the EBMM site where they show how they finish guitar and bass bodies, and how they make the necks and fret them.

I think that if I hadn't bought the Hamer DVD and years later watched what Mike does now, I never would have realized the level that guitar building could achieve.

If you have the DVD, you can watch Mike doing the same work he does now.

The German Carve.

The Abalone inlay work done between the binding and the top.

The heating and flowing of the Ivoroid around the edges of the necks and bodies.

All the attention to detail including selecting the wood makes the custom order well worth the money.

Archived