Hamer Fan Club Message Center

109: A Pictorial Of Progress...

PFunk

I don’t have theHamer build DVD but would love to watch it. 
Mike is an old school craftsman...and I mean that in the best possible way...,he takes great pride in what he produces...and OMG, they are simply the best guitars I have ever, ever played.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Mike is an old school craftsman...and I mean that in the best possible way...,he takes great pride in what he produces...and OMG, they are simply the best guitars I have ever, ever played.

This^^^!

On 2/14/2021 at 7:05 PM, veatch said:

Please Tell me you're getting a wraptail...  : )

Looks great. You have to be excited!

I had to ask myself first- “is there another option?”... and didn’t receive a single “yes...”

Yes to the excitement part though!

It also seemed inconceivable to shroud that flame...

15 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

And, btw, that guitar looks like it has some P90 goodness coming!!! It looks beautiful!

A former band mate of mine had an expression: “P90s for the win” or something like that...

On 2/14/2021 at 7:53 PM, Jakeboy said:

I'm Really looking forward to seeing the Bass design that Mike's working on.

Speaking of that Hamer DVD, there's a part of the video where Mike is creating the "German Carve" in a guitar.

He's literally doing the initial carve with a small grinder and wheel.

Then he hand carves it to the final shape and fine sands it.

The video has Jol D. narrating what Mike's doing as you watch.

My recent shop projects (NOT guitar making!) have brought a whole new appreciation for the artistry of using grinders and scrapers, let alone the hours of sanding required, to create an impeccable 3D project in wood. These videos and the other build pictures are  more confirmation of the highest level of work done by Mike.

18 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

Go to 7:38 in the second video to see Mike.  Everyone else is doing great stuff, too. 

I have the DVD but I haven't watched it in years.  All those years Mike's been doing this and the know how and wisdom accumulated with each project just boggles my mind.   It just makes me appreciate that with Mike you're not getting just an instrument - you're getting the product of a lifetime of learning.    Knowing what goes into each project is what gives me patience that I don't normally have.  And it just makes me really excited to see  the product of Mike's skills on my guitar. 

• 3 weeks later...

If I’m not mistaken, that “grinder” he uses is called a holy Galahad. It takes some big balls to use that for a guitar carve top. One slip and you can ruin a guitar. I’m sure Mike is all ho-hum because he’s so experienced with it and confident. I’d have to wear a diaper. :D 

• 1 month later...

Hi All: Fabulous flames, bands of bone toned binding, a precision lane of laid frets on a bound pavement of ebony (as evidenced in Mike’s shop post) with more of Mike’s Magic - including what will be a gorgeous finish to come and then this installment pictorial of progress...

Its called longevity-related payback for something.

In orthopedics that translates to CMC Arthroplasty...better now then later...😏

2F2A67EE-CB51-4E42-98B0-213AFC6F8FA9.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Archived