Hamer Fan Club Message Center

NGD: 1996 Archtop Custom Goldtop with P90s

Well, this definitely scratches several itches that I've had for a while. The gold top itch, as well as the "replacement for my thin-neck special" itch. The neck is FABULOUS.  It's got a tiny a bit of Hameritis around the neck joint, but nothing major. There's also some binding pull away on the lower side, which is common. There's a tiny dent in the goldtop, but otherwise it's great. I also love the color that the binding has faded to.

It does have some rust on the strap buttons, so it looks to have been in a moist environment at some time. Thankfully I have a HUGE supply of nickel Dunlop strap buttons from buying locks for my other Hamers.  Can't wait to get it home and make some noise.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, specialk said:

Congrats, and I can see how it scratches a bunch of itches. 

For years I said "I don't get what's so good about gold tops", but somehow, slowly, I wanted one. I had been looking at the Gibson offerings for a while, but decided a Hamer was much more my speed.  So I'm replacing gold hardware on the Special with a gold top on the Archtop. The neck is also just like on my other 1995 Archtop. So. nice.

Looks fantastic. Congrats!

and I suspect there’s at least one member on here who is eternally grateful you’re wearing shoes...

10 minutes ago, Travis said:

Looks fantastic. Congrats!

and I suspect there’s at least one member on here who is eternally grateful you’re wearing shoes...

You will never see feet in any of my photos. Shoes sometimes, but no feet. Is it really that hard for people to lean out just a bit, or maybe just put on shoes?

1 hour ago, topekatj said:

Jeez, definitely the nicest mahogany I've seen on a Hamer of that era! Was it the guitar that was for sale at Gryphon in Palo Alto CA?

I got it out of Rhode Island from this shop https://reverb.com/shop/nilss-shop-1

There do seem to be a fair number of Archtop GTs from that era floating around, many with the pickups replaced with mini humbuckers.  It also IS a nice piece of mahogany. I have another 1996, and it also is a great piece of wood:

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, crunchee said:

Congrats on the snag!  I've had a couple of those Archtop GTs before, one with a dark mahogany back (I never knew if that made a difference, but the LP guys online seemed to think so).  Does yours have the original SD P-90s?

It is supposed to, and I can see the base plate underneath them, which is the hallmark of the SD P90s, particularly the Hot and Custom versions, which have those huge ceramic magnets stuck on the bottom.  I may pull them later just to make sure, in particular because I WANT the hot pickups in this guitar. I got a really nice set of vintage type fralin P90s in my cherry red special.

This guitar, I want to scream Mississippi Queen all day long.

7 hours ago, RobB said:

Whoah. The finish on that slop sink is flawless! Get that annoying guitar out the way and let’s see some detail shots!

I do need to get some better glamor shots of that guitar. It's plain Jane, but completely awesome at the same time.

Definitely still has the Seymour Duncans in it!  And just like my Candy Apple Red Special, the high E string is weak on the neck pickup. I'm going to see if I can adjust the pole pieces.

It's a GREAT player. Definitely a keeper. Not sure if I'm going to have the binding on the bottom part of the body pulling away addressed. It's just something that happens.

Archived