Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pickguard on Les Paul ...

Punkavenger

Oh Jeezus

I'm going to get shit for this one but here goes .  

I took the pickguard  off my Les Paul (black 2005 standard)  and I like the way it looks better.  Ok no big deal, looks are subjective plus I'm not thrilled about big chunks of ugly beige plastic to begin with. 

But the weird thing is ... it sounds better too! I know this is illogical, but have any of you experienced the phenomena? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a pickguard fan, my LP's always sounded "better" without because I was more happy and played them better. Like, 0.00121% better.

No reason for one, relic your axe the old fashion way, by ya know, playing it...

'08 LP Classic, full Faber install, low wind Wolfetone Dr V neck, Marshallhead bridge, 50's wiring, re-freted med-jumbos. Weighs in at about 8.2 pounds...

And as you can see, I don't like the poker chips either; THAT'S really leaning out man, talk about getting flack!😉

Small_Front.JPG

Just now, tommyh said:

Sure, sure....but doesn't Eric Johnson think a Strat sounds better without the trem cover on the back??

No. EJ, like other Strat owners, doesn't like the hassle of taking off the cover every time to adjust the spring tension. None of my trem guitars have the backplate installed.

There are reasons to have the spring cover installed. I've done shielding jobs where the spring cavity and top routes are coated with shielding paint, the pickguard and backplate have copper/aluminum tape. It creates a sort of, "faraday cage", and does seem to quiet down the guitar. I usually find doing the top routes/pickguard sufficient.

I guess we will never know until we check out the difference that a Brazilian Rosewood pickguard makes. Esp the tasteful tonal underpinnings resulting from the inclusion of sapwood. It, no doubt, causes the acoustic voice to bloom. All the more so if the sapwood is aligned on the treble side at the proper angle to the cutaway...😏

Hartung Sephie BRW.jpg

Lest there be any doubt, I AM joking........(Everyone KNOWS the greatest tone enhancement lies in replacing cheap plastic knobs with ones made of BRW!)

Archived