Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Pickguard on Les Paul ...

Punkavenger

True vintage vibe is in the pickguard!! The air moving over the pickguard as you pick gets translated to the pickups (works only when not potted!!) where the air is the taking a 180 degree turn that gets amplified along the wire (works only with the braided shield type!!), it then entices the pots which in turn deliver the mojo goods to the output socket (but only when that is held by a plastic retainer!).

OR: I think a Les Paul just looks better with the pickguard!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

Um Jimmy Page had his on and so do I...

Yeah, and considering he had his necks shaved down, I would think if he didn't like the pickguard, he would have taken it off.

At least he didn't put mirrors all over it.

18 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

Yeah, and considering he had his necks shaved down, I would think if he didn't like the pickguard, he would have taken it off.

At least he didn't put mirrors all over it.

Joe walsh had the neck shaved

1 hour ago, it's me HHB said:

Joe walsh had the neck shaved

Ah! I thought he shaved it after he got it from Walsh. I stand corrected. He did however replace the original tuners with Grovers, and removed the bridge cover, revealing the double cream that somehow Dimarzio managed to trademark.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:19 PM, RobB said:

TGPers are idiots. Made it thru three posts.

As an HFC'er and TGP'er I'm not sure what to make of this remark, besides to say my feelings are mildly hurt....

Okay, I'm all better now. Thanks for listening. 😉

Yes, there's a lot of garbage everywhere passed off as knowledge. But you get Ron Thron, Suhr and others that chime in and help set the record straight too. You have to weed through info over there a lot more than you used to have too... As for Strats, mine hasn't had a back cover since I bought it new in '83, don't like them. BUT if you had a really noisy Strat I can see how adding them to the shield with full interior painting could help. 

25 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

As an HFC'er and TGP'er I'm not sure what to make of this remark...

That all depends on to which board it is that you proclaim your allegiance and undying loyalty.

always remove the guards... this one, I have the guard but never installed it.    I actually

don't mind older les Pauls or reissues with grovers,   although I wouldn't do that mod myself...    

neck shaving ughhh... buy another guitar...       

On 9/20/2020 at 7:53 AM, hamerhead said:

DSCN6143.JPG

I can't take mine off - there's 41 years of nastiness under that thing (may be some kind of rodent) that nobody wants to see.

An ivory Custom and a second Shishkov are about the only things left that I really, really want. 

18 hours ago, cynic said:

I love a pickguard!

28A03337-FCAB-4827-B8A0-BC5C16F76B36.jpeg

DON’T

YOU

DARE!

20 hours ago, slingblader said:

These aren't Gibsons, but I have one with a pickguard and one without. Honestly, I don't even think about it when I switch between the two. I guess I like the look of both.

FYRT8Rs.jpg

This is a real looker.  Not a Gibson, so what is it?  

As far as the pickguards, I feel like it's guitar dependent.  The old classic burst types I like with a guard, but the solid flamed top styles I like without. 

6 hours ago, scottcald said:

This is a real looker.  Not a Gibson, so what is it?  

As far as the pickguards, I feel like it's guitar dependent.  The old classic burst types I like with a guard, but the solid flamed top styles I like without. 

Thanks, these are the first two guitars that I made. I think I really need to change out those knobs. :D

Back when I had mid '90's LP Studios, if I took the pickguards off, I would put the original pickguard screws back in their original places/holes on the guitar...that way, they'd (1) fill the ugly holes otherwise left open, and (2) kept the screws from getting lost.  As far as the pickguard and pickguard bracket went, I kept it in the case or someplace I considered safe and handy, as they're a little harder to lose than the screws.

Archived