Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Who has played a Live Gig recently?

BoogieMKIIA

Got to play out today at Equus Run, a beautiful winery near Midway, KY. Beautiful late summer day, 70 F and sunny. Perfect time to break out the Studio Custom.  Have three more outdoors jobs through Halloween and then I'm done until a vaccine, cure or Spring.

20200920_171116_copy_2080x1560.jpg

Have a gig on November 14th and another on December 19th.  So looking forward to them.  Both will be less than fifty people and in private settings.  The standing gig at the local airport restaurant and tiki bar we play every other month will commence in 2021.  But only if our governor DeSantis opens up the restaurants to more than 50%.  The owner's saying he needs 80% to break even with the live entertainment.  He has it down to a science.  His accountant really has him on the ball!  Sucks when my real job costs my band gigs!

Glad some of you guys are getting to play.  All the real musicians I know and have as clients have taken day jobs.  Some have taken second or third shift jobs.  And they won't be able to just jump back into the "Biz" very easily.  

No one taped this gig as far as I know. We will be videotaping for one of our recorded songs on Oct 2 at DJ’s (steakhouse/bar with a nice deck) in Winchester, KY.

The band is Robert Eskridge and Southern Daze. You can find the original songs on all the streaming services. Can find the first video on YouTube and our Facebook page (Buck Wild and Whiskey Crazy). Disclaimer - the recordings are nearly all Nashville studio players. I play acoustic lead on “She Took Everything But The Blame” and some backup vocals. Robert wrote all the songs and, of course, does the singing.  We play most of the songs live. I think some rough live clips from a phone are on the FB page.

The the next video will be for “I Can’t Win For Losing You”. Tasty twin lead on the intro, between versus and ending.

My last gig was July 25th with Serial and the band.   Before that, it was St. Patrick’s Day weekend with Elduave and The Tolerators.   Long dry streak, and a few fall gigs have already been cancelled.   😢

Ive gigged muzak and weddings. My theater gig is kaput most likely forever so Im ramping up my wedding game. I still do my monthly Blues Thursday on an outdoor stage and the odd solo acoustic blues gig but its been nuts and bolts plus the new wedding material is cake, ezy pezy

This was a week ago Sunday on the back deck of the 4-3-2-1 Club. Famous Volcanoes have been turning our outdoor practice sessions into neighborhood performances this summer. We've even managed to learn some new songs in the process, apologizing to our friendly neighborhood fans in advance for playing songs we don't know yet. Two new covers include Rose Garden and Pictures of Matchstick Men. Too much fun, and it's good to play in front of people, for sure. Early in the year we were joking that this was going to be the Year of the Volcano because we had a monthly paying gig lined up at a local brew pub as well as shows at a few other local spots. That all fell through, of course, and I'm not sure what we'll do once the weather turns.

PS: if you look closely at my guitar in the back, you'll see that it's NBD. I picked up a used Hofner from a guy that lives a mile from my house, and it's totally satisfied my lightweight short scale bass needs, for the time being.

FV-4321.jpg

I've played a couple with my AC/DC tribute band and we have two more coming up; socially distant and safe of course.  My Cheap Trick tribute has not even practiced since February.  We're planning on getting back to it next month.  I think our drummer is an anti-masker but I'm not sure.  I know the rest of us will be wearing them.

The group I'm now in was actually just getting ready to start looking for gigs when this hit.  Our drummer has very elderly in laws in the house one with serious medical issues.  We haven't rehearsed since beginning of March.   We normally rehearse at the bassist's house but the room is really small, since 3 of us sing, not looking to spit at each other for 3 or 4 hours at a time right now.  

Haven't had a gig since before christmas last year. It really suxks. We really need a gig right now, to kick out the jams.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel badly (sort of) for saying this, but I've played about 11 times since ...late June? Mostly Acoustic Duos, but several full band as well. In fact, got to see Sir Dan at my last one!

I averaged 200 gigs per year for 19 years until March 11 this year.

Since then, everything was shut down (I live in NY) and I taught and did remote recordings for about two months. Then CT got ahead of things, and some places really got it right. Check out this drone photo of O’Neills in South Norwalk- when things got dicey they threw down Astro turf in their parking lot, put up tents and tiki torches and planters to separate them all - so they feel like cabanas- and have very responsible separated seating for 160 people and the stage is 20 feet away from the nearest patron.

Turns out everyone’s off the road as well so I’ve had a great time with some fierce pickers playing there once or twice a week for the last few months. Also gigs in Woodlawn on the edge of Yonkers/Bronx where there is a ton of great Irish music and up in the Catskills at Irish Resorts, very well distanced, but well managed.

My point being- there are a lot of ways to make it safe and fun and financially viable.

1A6C83FD-35DB-4C3D-82AA-BB13CD16AF63.jpeg

Played a live gig last night with the acoustic band. It was outside and a fabulous fall evening.  Several places put on a music festival with live music in the parking lots, food trucks. I went inside a few times to get a drink and use the bathroom, hardly anyone wearing masks.  I just don’t get it.

My band locked in a NYE gig at a local bar; we shall see what the COVID-19 trend is by that time.  We actually booked a couple of parties in the interim, but we walked away when it became clear that they would likely become super-spreader events.

On the positive side, rehearsals are becoming more productive, as we've added covers from a diverse set of genres: some R&B by Stevie Wonder and Bill Withers, some old school country by Willie Nelson, Charlie Daniels Band and Dwight Yoakam, and some late '70s progressive/yacht rock by Alan Parsons Project, Player, and Climax Blues Band.  If we keep this up, we'll be on the first-call list for the next AARP convention.

I've been playing a weekly open mic in the next county over (with nearly zero COVID involvement) and it scratches the itch somewhat.  Just today, I very reluctantly had to pass on a gig in the next county over in the other direction which has had considerably more severe involvement.  I'm not too concerned about the scourge, but this would, of necessity, have been an outdoor gig.  First week of November around here, coupled with senior citizen hands is pretty much a non-starter.   A shame, really, since it's my all-time fave-rave place to play.

I played past Saturday night, the 26th in a rural sort-of biker bar/restaurant.  It was quite full of people.  Beer was flowing, not a mask in site.

I kept my distance from people mostly and didn't shake hands or engage in close talk with people wanting to talk about the band.

I'm not afraid to play, but I also keep my distance, which I sort-of do normally do anyway.  Nothing else booked yet, although there may be a 2 or 3 dates confirming in Nov/Dec

Archived