Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Speaker and Speaker Cab Question

LucSulla

I have two speakers laying around - a old EVM-12L and a WGS Reaper 55Hz.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a V-Boutique enclosure for at least one of them.  I have one of there 2x12 Cubes, and I love the thing.  However, I'm looking for some suggestions.  They are 8 ohm.  

I'm kinda trying to figure out if I want to do a 1x12 just for the EV as 8 ohms or try out a 2x12 and throw both in at 16 (or maybe 4 I guess) Ohms.   I know a 12L and what is essentially a Celestion G12 Heritage 30 watt would be an awfully unusual pairing for a lot of reasons.  It's pretty much one cab or the other, so buying 2 1x12s would not be on the menu.  

Thoughts?

Not sure how relevant, but here goes.....They make a "Vumble" in a 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 with the oval back in the style of Dumble or Two Rock (I think). I really like the 1 x 12 with a CL80. Not quite the same as the EVM, but that might work for you. Your pair of speakers in the same cab might not work as well.

I have an older PWW (downsized version of older Mesa cabs) that has an EVM below in a Thiele-type sealed enclosure and a V30 above (open back and slanted). It is a great combination for a really big sound. I am not sure if you can find anyone making those these days......Unless you have the tools and some woodwork skills for a DYI......It is not overly hard if you can work from "how to" demos on line....I have figured out how to make some such "hybrid" cabs in the past. A sample with a different style enclosure on the top, but it might give you an idea......

image.png

That aside, I would likely do the 1 x 12 Vumble with EVM.

38 minutes ago, JGale said:

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.trmguitarcabs.com/

IM002914.jpg

TS-slant_and_Hardtrucker_003.jpg

Nice! Good way to go if you want a 2 x 12, though the 35 watt speaker may not be the best match. Also consider the "3D" 1 x 12 on the same site, a replica of the original Forte side-ported cabinets, which are my favorites of all time. And my favorite speakers for them are, in order, the 90 watt Alnico Cream and the EVM. One of each, in separate 1 x 12s, is even better.

8 hours ago, django49 said:

Not sure how relevant, but here goes.....They make a "Vumble" in a 1 x 12 or 2 x 12 with the oval back in the style of Dumble or Two Rock (I think). I really like the 1 x 12 with a CL80. Not quite the same as the EVM, but that might work for you. Your pair of speakers in the same cab might not work as well.

I have an older PWW (downsized version of older Mesa cabs) that has an EVM below in a Thiele-type sealed enclosure and a V30 above (open back and slanted). It is a great combination for a really big sound. I am not sure if you can find anyone making those these days......Unless you have the tools and some woodwork skills for a DYI......It is not overly hard if you can work from "how to" demos on line....I have figured out how to make some such "hybrid" cabs in the past. A sample with a different style enclosure on the top, but it might give you an idea......

image.png

That aside, I would likely do the 1 x 12 Vumble with EVM.

Now, THIS ^^^^, I like.  Any chance you might have drawings and/or a cut list for that particular build?

14 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

Now, THIS ^^^^, I like.  Any chance you might have drawings and/or a cut list for that particular build?

Well, not exactly.....For the Forte style, I sort of reverse engineered from pictures such as this.....

forte layout.jpg

Once you know the overall dimensions (roughly 22" wide, 16" high and 14" deep), you can sketch the pieces and size them, depending upon how you join them (butt joint, dovetails, etc). It is not particularly hard, but you need to visualize how the sides work together. And if you want to be "authentic" with the internal routing for weight reduction and sound dispersal, an added layer of complication. I resized from there when I made similar cabs for either 10" or even one 15".

When I made the Thiele-style enclosures, I relied upon the 'net, where there are various "how to" sources with precise measurements. Keep in mind the Thiele dimensions are very specific and the basic cabinet is not as wide as the Forte (or many heads). Accordingly, I built a Thiele "inside" a larger enclosure (see picture above) so that it will mate with the upper cabinet. Again, one more layer of complexity that requires some forethought.

When I did build a 2 x 12 Forte style, I made the upper and lower halves as separate enclosures within a single cabinet (unlike the original Fortes), which made the two different speakers better able to retain their individual characteristics. Also, with a "Plug and Play" input, it allows use of both together (in either 4 or 16 ohms) or the two speakers individually (8 ohms). The latter also allows for stereo use. Note that the 2 x 12 gets really heavy if you use my favorite speakers.

Note that in the example above, I used pine as the primary wood for both tone and weight considerations, but used hardwood strips on the edges for greater strength. Just one MORE complication!

3 minutes ago, JGale said:

That is a good option......Keep in mind it could end up nearer $1k plus shipping if you pick the "right" speakers. Having an EVM in hand would offset that some.

Those are some cool alternatives.  Thanks!

Unless you have the tools and some woodwork skills for a DYI......It is not overly hard if you can work from "how to" demos on line....

If I can't make it with a soldering iron and duct tape, I'm probably screwed on any DYI attempts, lol. 

2 hours ago, scottcald said:

If you use enough tape, you should be good.  😆

Given that you are a native Southerner, don't forget that baling wire is part of that Holy Trinity of fix-It solutions that includes duct tape and WD-40.

1 hour ago, Biz Prof said:

Given that you are a native Southerner, don't forget that baling wire is part of that Holy Trinity of fix-It solutions that includes duct tape and WD-40.

Good times.  I guess if you want that "finished, stage look" a follow up with black gaffer's tape would add that touch of class.  

I have an EV SRO alnico in a ported oversize pine TRM 1x12 cabthat sounds incredible....stick that EV in one for cheap....And if/when you tire of that sound...slam the g12h30 in there....4 screws and 2 solder/spade connections. Clean to mean with that setup.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:54 AM, LucSulla said:

Those are some cool alternatives.  Thanks!

If I can't make it with a soldering iron and duct tape, I'm probably screwed on any DYI attempts, lol. 

Here are the Open Source EV plans for a TL-806 cabinet.

http://www.realoldiesradio.com/docs/EV/ElectroVoice_TL806.pdf

3 hours ago, JGale said:

And this is the way it is done!

spacer.png<<<<<

I have a better chance of fissioning a uranium core than I do of building that, lol.   

Seriously, one of my first memories is being three and not understanding why I couldn't keep my crayon in the lines.  I completely understood the principle, yet anything I colored sucked. 

17 hours ago, LucSulla said:

I have a better chance of fissioning a uranium core than I do of building that, lol.   

Seriously, one of my first memories is being three and not understanding why I couldn't keep my crayon in the lines.  I completely understood the principle, yet anything I colored sucked. 

Yeah, I am the same way. I potentially could make one, but that would "take years and cost millions of lives." More like millions of years. I take a month just to get around to re-stringing a guitar. I've got a line of 4 amps waiting for new speakers. I have the speakers. I have everything I need. I just get distracted by actually playing guitar. Or eating. Or something.

Archived