Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Friedman guitars: any opinions?

Travis

I know a few on here have Friedman amps. I’ve lusted after one for a while. Got a chance to play a Pink Taco a few weeks ago. It ruled. 

However...  the Friedman brand also makes guitars. These are made by Grover Jackson who made two of the most iconic of all rock guitars: Randy’s Concorde and Eddie’s bumblebee. 

while I’m not a huge fan of the relic finishes, there are some models/specs that I’m really digging. Anyone have any experience with these guitars?  

59 minutes ago, Travis said:

Anyone have any experience with these guitars?  

I played a few in L.A. early this year. They were nice guitars, but the sticker shock! There are other options that are equally good for much less money (i.e., Chubtone Guitars). 

It seems that GJ2 Guitars is no more. These are great guitars and are a good used buy. 

3 minutes ago, RobB said:

I played a few in L.A. early this year. They were nice guitars, but the sticker shock! There are other options that are equally good for much less money (i.e., Chubtone Guitars). 

Yeah, having only seem them online and seeing their list prices, I was not immediately turned on. I really like some of their interpretations of the classics. But none of them inspired me to look past a used Hamer. Just wondering if anyone had a different experience.  

10 minutes ago, scottcald said:

Yeah, they market it as Grover hand building everything, but Sweetwater alone lists like 60 guitars.  How many other places are they in? Can one person really be building that many guitars? 

Grover has his own CNC machine, I know. No clue if he’s the only one building or if he’s got some other guys helping. Website says a custom order takes about 8 weeks. 

12 hours ago, RobB said:

It seems that GJ2 Guitars is no more. These are great guitars and are a good used buy. 

GJ2 would almost have to go away.  A big reason I never got interested in Friedman guitars is that, as far as I know and anyone ever indicated, they were built by the same guy at the same place with the same CNC as the GJ2s.  The main differences were the headstock, the name, the finishes, and another $1,000.  Why on earth would I pay that much money for a rose by any other name?

2 hours ago, topekatj said:

Picture

WOW. Chubtone's builds are like a flashback to '85! I guess there's no issue stacking up painted bodies if yer selling 'relics'.

they look cool,   lately I've been seeing some really nice stuff by guys that probably started out doing parts builds...

I guess they've had many years to study Charvel and the Fender Custom Shop and are really starting to dial it in... 

heck you can buy your own spray guy at harbour freight nowadays.      

I wish they would ditch the relic crap and knock some off the price. I guess that's what Friedman wants, but I don't think anyone would want to buy a relic'd amp, would they?

Or is that the next big thing?

11 minutes ago, tbonesullivan said:

I wish they would ditch the relic crap and knock some off the price. I guess that's what Friedman wants, but I don't think anyone would want to buy a relic'd amp, would they?

Or is that the next big thing?

"We carefully roll the amp down the staircase as if you've played bars for 30 years and dropped it a few times.  Mojo galore."   Now they won't have to do the marketing.  😆

1 hour ago, scottcald said:

"We carefully roll the amp down the staircase as if you've played bars for 30 years and dropped it a few times.  Mojo galore."   Now they won't have to do the marketing.  😆

If you really want amp mojo like that, just ship the amp via UPS or FedEx

15 hours ago, topekatj said:

Picture

WOW. Chubtone's builds are like a flashback to '85! I guess there's no issue stacking up painted bodies if yer selling 'relics'.

The guitar comes in parts, in the IKEA bag below. And you have to assemble it yourself. Allen wrench is included.

12 hours ago, scottcald said:

Shame on  you Scott, I mean really SHAME!! No cigarette burns mentioned, it ain't a reliced amp with no cigarette burn.

As far as the Grover/Friedman guitars, he is man in charge, keeping the processes and QC in check with others doing the hands on building. 

If I was going to buy a super strat an you wanted it done in small shop by one or two guys it would be a Wayne.

4 hours ago, Disturber said:

The guitar comes in parts, in the IKEA bag below. And you have to assemble it yourself. Allen wrench is included.

But the instructions are 100% graphical. No text. It's the Ikea way...

Actually, assembling a Stratocaster is easier than some of the IKEA cabinets I've encountered.

9 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

If I was going to buy a super strat an you wanted it done in small shop by one or two guys it would be a Wayne.

Is Wayne Charvel back in business? His house/shop burned to thre ground last year in the Paradise, CA fire.

Archived