Hamer Fan Club Message Center

No DuoTone love

15 minutes ago, cynic said:

Another Jol “I did it first” story. He’s tireless. 

It was a great article until the last sentence: “Still, there’s a soft spot in my heart for the DuoTone project, which I think of every time someone comes out with their own version.” Quite the eye-roller, that.

No mention of the similar New Hartford-made Ovation VXT electric-acoustic guitar, either...IIRC in the late Naughties/early 2010's (and it was talked about on the HFC board at the time), I recall HFC discussions about Hamer USA production being affected/slowed by other guitars under the FMIC umbrella at the time, not just Guild USA but Ovation USA too, back when they were all at New Hartford...I think it had also been said here on the board, that Hamer USA production members had been 'borrowed' by Ovation at New Hartford to work on the VXT (at Hamer's expense, at least manpower-wise), because Ovation USA hadn't made a electric-style guitar on it's own in at least 20 years.  Anybody here remember that?  I wonder if Jol remembers that?  :rolleyes:

I recall the first time I saw or heard a Duo-Tone, it was Pearl Jam at Red Rocks back in 1995 (on their ill-fated self-sponsored tour that only lasted 5-7 dates IIRC) as I was lucky enough to be in the front row and when they started playing "Daughter" I was looking around on the stage to see who was playing the acoustic intro, then realized the guitarist was playing it on a Hamer DuoTone.  That was a mesmerizing moment for me (the concert wasn't bad either 😉) and I was determined to get one someday.  Took me another 14 years but I finally got my first one in 2009 (it's a '96 3-holer in Natural) and continue to love it today.  I've used it in a Who tribute project, doing originals, and with my new INXS tribute project and it continues to amaze most people who hear it.  😎 

“Photo by Brooks”. I thought that looked familiar!   

C1445C45-3461-460E-A17C-69EEE99F331E.png

On 9/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Studio Custom said:

On 9/25/2020 at 1:32 PM, cynic said:

Another Jol “I did it first” story. He’s tireless. 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:48 PM, RobB said:

It was a great article until the last sentence: “Still, there’s a soft spot in my heart for the DuoTone project, which I think of every time someone comes out with their own version.” Quite the eye-roller, that.

On 9/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, kizanski said:

He's his biggest fan.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:45 PM, cmatthes said:

“Photo by Brooks”. I thought that looked familiar!   

C1445C45-3461-460E-A17C-69EEE99F331E.png

That article! Man, I’ve not read such a steaming pile of bullshit in quite a long time. Yuse guyz knowz I love Hamer. But the Duotone was NOT A HAMER ORIGINAL CREATION. IT WAS NOT JOL D. BEING INNOVATIVE, it was however, I suspect Jol ripping off another builder and putting the Hamer name on it.

Years ago I didn’t understand the animosity and dislike for Jol Dantzig that I observed here on a number of occasions, but as it was explained by a few here, I got it. Now I see some of this douchebaggery for myself. Not only is Jol Dantzig full of himself, he’s full of shit. I know this from from first hand experience. I always suspected that Hamer knocked off the Guitar Factory EA, and that was fine, it happens.

However, Jol’s account of the Duotone is delusional, or just outright dishonest. He said that he “got the kind of idea that wakes you up in the middle of a dream and makes you sit upright”, and that’s exactly what DID NOT happened to Jol Dantzig in December 1991. I’m certain of it.

Friends of mine, Bill Fels and Doug Montgomery, began the Guitar Factory name in Orlando, FLA in the ‘80s. By ’86 they designed and began building the EA (for Electric Acoustic) model. They offered solid body and semi hollows. They built it in six and twelve string models and a double neck or two if I recall, that featured stereo output, an output for the electric side, an output for the acoustic side, active tone and volume controls and an output balance and blender feature for the electric and acoustic outputs. This guitar used Bartolini pickups originally, an acoustic bridge as well as a transducer designed for them by Fishman. By ’89 they moved to EMG pickups and EMG and Fishman worked together with the Guitar Factory to enhance their electronics package. By 1989 Jimmy Buffett, Chris Deburgh, Mike Rutherford of Genesis, Rene Toledo (Gloria Estefan) and Rick Derringer were playing Bill and Doug’s EA models on tour.

By 1990, The Guitar Factory had orders for Kirk Hammett, Warren Haynes, Pat Travers, a young Derek Trucks, and the following year, drum roll…..Rick Nielsen. The same year a couple of manufacturers also called on them asking if they would sell one to them…including Kaman. The manufacturers were politely turned down. Rick Nielsen…hmmm.

Hell of a coincidence there? Kaman? Rick Nielsen? In December of 1991 Jol Dantzig had a dream? Bullshit.

rnielsen.jpg

Rick had a black one too.

Chris Deburgh:

Chris Deburgh1 copy.jpg

Chris Deburgh copy.jpg

Jimmy Buffett:

Jimmy.jpg

Kirk Hammett:

kirk copy.jpg

Rick Derringer:

Rick1 copy.jpg

rick2 copy.jpg

A few close up shots of Rick's guitar:

rd2.GIF

rd11.gif

rd22.gif

rd5.GIF

Warren Haynes:

Warren copy.jpgWarrenbill copy.jpg

One built for Mike Rutherford of Genesis:

Copy of rd3.GIF

Gotta throw in one of their basses! This one was built for Chris Squire of Yes:

7strg.GIF

Here are a couple I had built for me:

Green3.gif

Jammer.GIF

A few unformatted scans from when I built their first website in '93/'94:

Buffet & Derringer's guitar

gf30.jpg

Derringer and a couple of other guitars:

gf31.jpg

Buffett, and Derringer with his unfinished guitar:

gf36.jpg

twins1.GIF

gfhome1.GIF

33935C4A-EFB8-480F-8C42-73A298597A76.jpeg

JOL DANTZIG CAN SUCK IT.

Does anybody want my P90 3holer Duo?

I met Billy Fels back in the '70's when he first started I believe with Mike Tobias if my really bad memory fails me correctly. They repaired a broken neck on a Les Paul for me. Will never forget watching him eat a taco over my guitar while he worked.  He's a fellow knife nut and owns the first knife I ever made. Everything I ever had done to a guitar, he did. Billy and Doug are great guys that made great guitars.  The Guitar Factory is one of the very few things I really miss after leaving Florida.

11 minutes ago, woodpile said:

Does anybody want my P90 3holer Duo?

I met Billy Fels back in the '70's when he first started I believe with Mike Tobias if my really bad memory fails me correctly. They repaired a broken neck on a Les Paul for me. Will never forget watching him eat a taco over my guitar while he worked.  He's a fellow knife nut and owns the first knife I ever made. Everything I ever had done to a guitar, he did. Billy and Doug are great guys that made great guitars.  The Guitar Factory is one of the very few things I really miss after leaving Florida.

Yes! Billy and Doug have actually been located in the old Tobias building for thirty years since Mike went to NY. 

Archived