Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Treble Bleed Circuit

Menehune

Question

Who here has experimented with treble bleed circuits in their humbucker guitar(s)? I've read that the starting R value of a treble bleed circuit should be half the volume control pot value - so that would be 250K for a humbucker - but the recommended starting C ranges I've read of run from 1000nF to 470pF. What have you tried, and what have you wound up using?

Also, do you have the R and C in parallel or in serial?

11 answers to this question

Hi - FWIW, I have tried lots (I can't off-hand remember the various values but they are all over the internet) so just a few thoughts - If you can, run a couple of wires with crocodile clips from the lugs on the pot to outside the guitar and then you can test out numerous different values of cap & circuit configurations and decide what works best for your guitar & you. It will also depend on the value of your pots and whether they have an audio or linear taper. I found that putting a resistor in the treble bleed circuit changed the volume roll-off of the pot that I didn't like so I just use a cap. Values can be very different (look-up PRS and a Tele to get an idea of the range - and be careful about the units - nF or pF). The change in tone isn't necessarily linear - may have greater effect with greater volume roll-off, sometimes can sound quite thin or 'tinny'. I tend to use on the neck pick-ups but not the bridge. Bur experiment with the crocodile-clip wires until you find what you like. I hope that helps a bit.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, Menehune said:

Who here has experimented with treble bleed circuits in their humbucker guitar(s)? I've read that the starting R value of a treble bleed circuit should be half the volume control pot value - so that would be 250K for a humbucker - but the recommended starting C ranges I've read of run from 1000nF to 470pF. What have you tried, and what have you wound up using?

Also, do you have the R and C in parallel or in serial?

Good timing! I'm trying some new amplification that has a highly sensitive pre-amp stage and rolled back volumes are a constant. I was thinking a good volume pedal like the Lehle might allow me to keep the guitar volume knob at 10 but it's more of a course adjustment and the guitar volume knob would still get used for fine adjustment. 

I'm going to try these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLEFHVY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3LIBWKT3TINIM&psc=1

8 hours ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I was thinking a good volume pedal like the Lehle might allow me to keep the guitar volume knob at 10 but it's more of a course adjustment and the guitar volume knob would still get used for fine adjustment. 

Not a bad idea to preserve overall tone. Preserving tone of individual pickups though will need in-cavity components.

On 9/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, LordsoftheJungle said:

Good timing! I'm trying some new amplification that has a highly sensitive pre-amp stage and rolled back volumes are a constant. I was thinking a good volume pedal like the Lehle might allow me to keep the guitar volume knob at 10 but it's more of a course adjustment and the guitar volume knob would still get used for fine adjustment. 

I'm going to try these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HLEFHVY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3LIBWKT3TINIM&psc=1

Yeah, I'l try the Kinman (series) mod too. The response curve, plus better preservation of the audio pot's taper, suggest it. Thanks!

On 9/28/2020 at 7:14 PM, tommyh said:

Hi - FWIW, I have tried lots (I can't off-hand remember the various values but they are all over the internet) so just a few thoughts - If you can, run a couple of wires with crocodile clips from the lugs on the pot to outside the guitar and then you can test out numerous different values of cap & circuit configurations and decide what works best for your guitar & you. It will also depend on the value of your pots and whether they have an audio or linear taper. I found that putting a resistor in the treble bleed circuit changed the volume roll-off of the pot that I didn't like so I just use a cap. Values can be very different (look-up PRS and a Tele to get an idea of the range - and be careful about the units - nF or pF). The change in tone isn't necessarily linear - may have greater effect with greater volume roll-off, sometimes can sound quite thin or 'tinny'. I tend to use on the neck pick-ups but not the bridge. Bur experiment with the crocodile-clip wires until you find what you like. I hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for these ideas, Tommy - especially the alligator clips. 

Archived