Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ever see one of these?

Punkavenger

its really nice ... 1 3/4" nut 

"They say"  the body is an exact replica of the tele body Seymour Duncan carved for Jeff Beck.  The pots were also designed by SD and Jeff Beck. And the neck is an exact copy of a  53 broadcaster neck.   Callaham parts. SD custom shop pickups. ASH.  French polish. it feels like custom shop without being all fancy. i'm not a Tele expert like some of you but this is the bomb, as the kids say these days   :)  

2 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

"They say"  the body is an exact replica of the tele body Seymour Duncan carved for Jeff Beck.  The pots were also designed by SD and Jeff Beck. 

Makes you wonder why they didn't go ahead and do 2xHB, short bridge and white lacquer? Still, a pretty bitchin guitar. 3-saddle bridge, the only way to fly.

I have an early tobacco burst/maple that is the perfect Tele.  The pickups are hands down the best real (not noiseless) single coils I've heard.  I'm not very big on Seymours but they did these right.

Seymour Duncan worked a deal with Larrivee to ghost-build a small run of ridiculously expensive Tele-Gib copies.  Since they were tooling up anyway they released their own version in the Bakersfield that were streeting between $1500-$1600.  Same woods, same carves.  They're usually a pretty screaming deal on the used market.  Matt Larrivee eventually started using his own pickups and I think the model name changed too before ultimately being discontinued with the rest of Larrivee's electric line...again.

As @killerteddybearmentioned, they were available with either a custom wound tele-style pickup or a Duncan mini-hum.  Matt included an extra guard in case I wanted to switch later but the single coil is staying.

37 minutes ago, cynic said:

I have an early tobacco burst/maple that is the perfect Tele.  The pickups are hands down the best real (not noiseless) single coils I've heard.  I'm not very big on Seymours but they did these right.

Seymour Duncan worked a deal with Larrivee to ghost-build a small run of ridiculously expensive Tele-Gib copies.  Since they were tooling up anyway they released their own version in the Bakersfield that were streeting between $1500-$1600.  Same woods, same carves.  They're usually a pretty screaming deal on the used market.  Matt Larrivee eventually started using his own pickups and I think the model name changed too before ultimately being discontinued with the rest of Larrivee's electric line...again.

They are starting up again with the electrics. Larivee.com ... you can custom order but thel fat necks are no longer stock.  You can special order it, but what other cool parts did they change? Anyway i'm paranoid :) but check into it before you buy Fender     https://www.larrivee.com/about-larrivee

I see they're doing a Baker-T 2020.  Same pickups and hardware as the originals but the neck profile is borderline Ibanez (1st: 0.825” - 12th 0.875”), nut width is 1 11/16" (instead of 1 3/4"), and the compound radius is 9.5"-14" (the original run had 12"-16").

13 hours ago, Punkavenger said:

DSC03323.jpg

I thought Larivee was a Canadian brand?

Remember these? They were all the rage her in Sweden in the late 80s, for like five minutes. 

Larrivee-LS-4-940x457.jpg

My neighbour down the street is the old ABBA guitarist Janne Schaffer. He's a nice guy. He's played his red three single coil version Larivee since the 80's. It's worn down but he loves it. It got stolen na few years back. The thieves were after his 58 Les Paul, but got the Larivee instead. Talk about a bummer. Haha. He recently got the Larivee back from the Police.

img-2115-1.jpg?w=600&h=400

I like the Bakersfield. Very nice Tele style guitars. Played one at NAMM one year. Always wanted to snag one.

On 9/30/2020 at 5:18 PM, Punkavenger said:

the bomb, as the kids say these days   :)

Isn't that like circa 1990? Get off my lawn...

Larrivée started building acoustics in Toronto in the early 1970s. In 1977 he headed out to British Columbia. He briefly dabbled in electrics in the 80s and then went back to acoustics. In 2001 they set up a shop in Oxnard and ran facilities in both countries. The 2008 crunch affected them like everyone else, and in 2013 they closed the Canadian plant.

1 minute ago, killerteddybear said:

Punkavenger, your serial number is 3 digits later than mine...

Mine was a private purchase in late 2016 from an guy selling on Reverb. My understanding was that these were discontinued and he was flipping them on behalf of Larrivée.

I  got mine from my amp tech and it came in a gator hardshell case which I assume was non original. No idea of the history of this particular guitar but its a 2012 in perfect shape, soooo ...  all good!

9 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Larrivée started building acoustics in Toronto in the early 1970s. In 1977 he headed out to British Columbia. He briefly dabbled in electrics in the 80s and then went back to acoustics. In 2001 they set up a shop in Oxnard and ran facilities in both countries. The 2008 crunch affected them like everyone else, and in 2013 they closed the Canadian plant.

Thanks for clearifying.

These came out in 2012. I am sure they are great builds. But the are really ugly. 

larivee_electric_1024x1024.jpg?v=1562698

When you guys started posting these I went (knee jerk) to Reverb and looked them up.  What came up were those potato guitars - I figured I must have defined my search incorrectly.

6 hours ago, Disturber said:

larivee_electric_1024x1024.jpg?v=1562698xlm897xmw9hnwvas6vri.jpg

In hindsight, I think Larrivée modeled the body shape after his "L" series of acoustics.
These have a much wider lower bout (see above) than traditional profiles (OM, D).
Think of the midrange punch of an OM model with added bass.

I had one for a while (L-04) but ended up sticking with my OM-03R.

17 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Here's my amber Bakersfield with the mini-hum:
(Apologies for the color balance, the California smoke pushes the spectrum towards the red)IMG_2237.JPG

That Neck!😍

20 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

Punkavenger, your serial number is 3 digits later than mine...

My serial is pretty close as well.  As far as year, my receipt is dated 2011 and my serial is the highest of the three shown.  You can confirm production date on Larrivee's site here.  Both of yours share a manufacture date of 6/21/2011.   It's usually tough to photograph neck thickness, but I think it's fairly clear here.  6lb 7oz of tele-wonder.

IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0329.jpgIMG_0328.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

Archived