Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Ever seen one of these ... SG's?

I was walking by a local music shop (which is basically closed down) and spied a great looking SG thru the window. I knocked on the door and the owner let me in. "Hey could I take a look at that SG" "Sure but I dont know much about the electrics, those guys are off until Covid is over"  !!!  

Anyway it was a cherry SG, looked fairly new, gloss finish, USA, beautiful wood, DOTS, P90's like a Special but reflector knobs like a standard.  The darn thing was just sweet, like it came out of a alternate universe where Gibson actually had quality control. Even the fretboard has super nice grain. nice fat neck too (for a SG)

it was priced at $795 so I dont think it was custom shop. 

The closest thing I could find to it was this on reverb

https://reverb.com/item/33282541-gibson-sg-pete-townshend-signature-2001-with-kinman-p90-s

Anyone run across one of these in their travels?  I would like to know more about it but I can find any info on the interwebs. Thanks!

I have one!

It's a Gibson USA limited edition, made in 2001, a year after they did the Custom Shop run. I believe it's more or less based on Pete's '67 (?) "Live at Leeds" SG.

Mine is great: one-piece body, semi-gloss finish, medium neck,... It has PT's signature on the back of the headstock and inside the case.

$795 seems to be a good price. I've seen them offered for double that.

4 hours ago, kizanski said:

I had one of these(2001 SG Junior), but like all SGs I couldn't get along with it.

DSCN3800.jpgDSCN3808.jpg

I do like the LOOK of the Gibson SG..........................had a friend that owned a marvelous looking and playing 70's SG Custom. But I can't get along with them either, just like the Fender Telecaster. I did own several Gibson 6&12 Doubleneck guitars back in the 1970's but those were/are a whole different animal.

6 minutes ago, ARM OF HAMER said:

I do like the LOOK of the Gibson SG....

As do I, but there's something that just doesn't feel right to me about the body when I'm playing it. 
I've tried several different times, just like with the ES-355 (and Hamer Newport, Robin Savoy...), but the result is always the same.

I am also a fan of the look, but can't adjust to the playing position.  I think the issue is caused by two factors:

1) the strap button is attached to the body at the very end of the neck, which requires you to either physically hold the guitar body against your right hip or reach about 8 inches further with your left hand to play open chords.  Same problem as the Gibson Firebird, and

2) the strap attachment at the back of the neck/body joint rotates the face of the guitar body outward and down towards the floor.

3 hours ago, kizanski said:

As do I, but there's something that just doesn't feel right to me about the body when I'm playing it. 
I've tried several different times, just like with the ES-355 (and Hamer Newport, Robin Savoy...), but the result is always the same.

I'm the same, that weird extra reach is tough.  I only play mine once in a while.  

10 minutes ago, Tortious said:

Serial number is 2006. Was the bridge a wraptail or tuneomatic?

Closest thing I could find for a model was this '2007', a '67 Special Reissue'.  This look like it?

spacer.png

thats close but it actually has a batwing guard ... it looks almost new so i don't think parts have been switched out

It's on the internet, so it must be true. 🙃

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Classic

SG Classic

The SG Classic was introduced in 2000 (although production started in mid/late 1999), sitting at the same price point as the Special in the lineup, below the Standard. It was a return of features very similar to the late '60s SG Special, with the largest differences being the nut width and a tuneomatic/stopbar setup instead of the old wraparound/vibrola. It was part of the regular Gibson lineup until 2002, after which it became an exclusive model for Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, until finally being discontinued in 2013. In 2011, a version was released in a Faded finish.

Supposedly went for $900-1,000 new. Check Reverb or Ebay sold listings to see what they might be going for?

Nice slab o 'hog there.  Like the bound neck.

I've personally never liked the look of an SG (call it ignorant/arrogant bias against the 'Dead) but might appreciate its weird playing ergonomics.  My Ibby Gilbert FRMs put the cowboy chord ends waaaaaay out in left field and it doesn't bother me.  Makes the high notes closer?

On 10/2/2020 at 12:33 PM, kizanski said:

it;s where the body joint centers the weight imo, I cant play certain doublecuts either

Archived