Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Stud Thread

Menehune

My new-to-me Hamer came with a Callaham ABR-1 bridge and one-piece Nashville conversion studs. The insert body and stud post is "one piece" (I don't know if that means it's machined as one piece, or the stud is pressed into the insert) instead of being a separate threaded post that threads into the insert bushing.

Each stud post is threaded to within about 2mm of its insert face, but I need that treble-side adjustment wheel to go down a little over 1mm more. I thought "simple, I'll run a 6-32 die down the stud post *carefully* to the insert face to cut the extra thread," but then recalled that a die's cutting faces are radiused, so I'll never be able to run a true 6-32 thread down to the insert face, or even to within 1mm of it.

So, any suggestions short of "replace the studs", or "put in shorty saddles", or "grind down the bridge on that side", or "sell me that guitar for treefiddy"? Time to find a machine shop?

As for "replace the studs", the barrel of a Callaham insert is smooth-faced, and not grooved like a standard bushing. From what I've read it holds by being a bit oversized, ruining that hole for replacement with grooved bushings - though I suppose any looseness could be fixed with a wipe of hide glue.

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Send an email to Callahan before you try to to alter the hardware. He may have a solution, or maybe he can fabricate a new piece for you. 

Did that, explaining the situation and asking "Do you have studs cut to allow the adjustment wheel to screw down to the top of the stud face?" The reply was a straightforward "sorry we do not."

6 hours ago, RobB said:

Send an email to Callahan before you try to to alter the hardware. He may have a solution, or maybe he can fabricate a new piece for you. 

This. My record8ng buddy AC used to work at Callaham’s shop. I bet Bill will make you what you need.

Oh, and damnit, @Bennyboy-UKyou beat me to it!

If you have some $ to spend, you might consider buying the full Faber Master Kit. The locking bridge and tailpiece design is brilliant. spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

Faber posts arrived. The old Callaham posts pulled out easily, the Faber posts went in, and the bridge can now be adjusted just right. The Faber thumbwheel doesn't run down all the way to the flange top, but goes down more than far enough.

So I have a pair of Callaham Nashville/ABR-1 adapter bridge posts for whomever wants them. The bridge post threads are slightly chewed thanks to the aluminum tailpiece having set screws that someone cranked down with great enthusiasm.

Archived