Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Your Preferred Overdrive Pedal?

topekatj

Seeking recommendations for home use -- there's gotta be something better than my old 'tube driver' to add some hair, grit, body, etc. at low volumes (unfortunately it's not possible to crank my SF Champ enough for natural OD). I play blues, rock, blues/rock, rock/blues, classic (blues) rock, you get the idea (black metal tones not required).

I am considering the new Fulltone OCD V2 (with adjustable true bypass, currently $129), or a Maxon OD808 ($149). Have not played through either but would like to hear from those who own or have played through both. Open to other options too.

Leaning toward the OCD, this clip sounds pretty good though the character of the tele seems to have gotten a bit lost.

Thanks!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 5-Star GE (Keeley) modded Boss SD-1. Would not be without it...

I think it really depends on the amp. 

I have a Menatone Red Snapper that can't be beat in front of a Fender-esque amp, however, it does not sound very good in front of my Reeves (more HiWatt-esque).  

I currently have a love affair with my 1986 Proco Rat pedal through a cranked Marshall JCM800. Totally that Steve Stevens 80s tone.

And I got the Solodallas Shaffer Replica STORM pedal. Damn fine little boost/overdrive. Like a treble booster but with a very fine tone enhancing ability across the whole spectrum. Kinda like pressing that loudness button on your 80s stereo system. 

I tend to lean on my Catalinbread Formula 5. Way Huge Saucy Box would make my shortlist too. But I tend to use lower gain pedals then stack them to get the grind level I'm after.

Thanks for the replies. Wow. Many options to consider, including boxes i wasn’t aware of. Surprised no one has stood up for the ol’ Tube Screamer. Maybe the sun has set on that pedal?

@benjammin308: The Fulldrive looks appealing, with more tonal flexibility than OCD. Seems like a pair of drives stacked in a single pedal (And the used price looks good also).

@bubs_42: RE OD11, I recall reading that Lovepedal is now out of business? Does the inherent character of a given guitar shine through when in use?

Thanks again 

Barber Direct Drive, I have a Dirty Little Secret and an OCD too. But my favorite flavor is the Barber. You can have your amp cranked turn on the Barber and nothing changes!!! No Noise!! That’s a big deal to me!! Play your guitar and it’s great controlled overdrive with original guitar tone no color just added harmonics and drive. Stop playing...dead quiet, neither of the other pedals do that.

4 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

I love the Saucy Box! 

It is only eclipsed by the OD11. Yet to fail me in front of just about any amp. 

OD11 is the one. Works with every guitar and amp and is pretty transparent..,your guitar will retain its base tone.

I also second @gtrdaddy’s Lovepedal Amp808 recommendation and I’ll add the Lovepedal Super Six SRV. 

I am a big fan of the Lovepedal Super Six, esp the version with built in selectable boost. However, my go-to remains the Ethos OD. The Super Six allows a different option on my very small board.

Right On

The OCD is really compressed, depending on your approach that’s a plus or a minus. If you want your OD to smooth out your attack and add Sustain, it’s okay.

If you want dynamics and ability to back off and clean up, and also dig in and get more grit, look elsewhere.

The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 original with the comp cut on the volume knob (before 99) is a solid winner and cheap and easy. The standalone Fulldrive that just came out is a terrific single channel version and gives you everything from the good stuff, and the option to be more like the OCD as well, look into it.

Keep Rockin!

43 minutes ago, mudshark said:

image.jpeg

I almost bought one of these a few years ago....  It’s a Klon(e), correct? Instead I bought an Xotic RC Boost because I thought all I needed was a clean boost before the Fender. It almost works for me but the amp isn’t being driven hard enough by itself to really benefit from the boost.

8 hours ago, velorush said:

I think it really depends on the amp. 

This makes a lot of sense. I’d imagine how hard that amp in question is working downstream of the pedal factors in as well.

23 minutes ago, geoff_hartwell said:

Right On

The OCD is really compressed, depending on your approach that’s a plus or a minus. If you want your OD to smooth out your attack and add Sustain, it’s okay.

If you want dynamics and ability to back off and clean up, and also dig in and get more grit, look elsewhere.

The Fulltone Fulldrive 2 original with the comp cut on the volume knob (before 99) is a solid winner and cheap and easy. The standalone Fulldrive that just came out is a terrific single channel version and gives you everything from the good stuff, and the option to be more like the OCD as well, look into it.

Keep Rockin!

Wow! Thanks for the tip! I guess what I didn’t like about the OCD clip is the compression you mentioned. I really like what I’m hearing here (sweet rig, obviously) but the sound cleans up nicely with the guitar volume backed off, and the Strat character never gets lost, either. We have a solid contender!

3 hours ago, topekatj said:

I almost bought one of these a few years ago....  It’s a Klon(e), correct? Instead I bought an Xotic RC Boost because I thought all I needed was a clean boost before the Fender. It almost works for me but the amp isn’t being driven hard enough by itself to really benefit from the boost.

This makes a lot of sense. I’d imagine how hard that amp in question is working downstream of the pedal factors in as well.

I think it's supposed to be designed after the Klon.  It's a nice low to medium gain box.

I've been using a Boss OD-3 and really like it - Its totally anti-booooteeeeeeck - but its very decent and was recommended to me personally by Justin Derrico as - "the best fucking pedal ever!", his words.

He can play a bit - and has done one or two gigs, so I valued his opinion :) !

Fulltone OCD.

Murkat suggested the OCD based on my use of Fender amps and he nailed it. It maintains the Fender sound while adding dirt to taste. I currently have three - two 1.4 versions and a 2.0 version. The 2.0 is smoother than the 1.4 and is great for leads. And they stack really well - I had them set up to progressively put more hair on it - creating a virtual 4-channel amp.

The Carl Martin AC-Tone has two ODs and a boost in it which also works really well, again giving you basically a 4-channel amp, but in a single pedal. It has currently knocked an EP Booster and two OCDs off my board (ver. 2 remains), and adds a little Vox flavor to it. I was really surprised how good it is.

Archived