Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Eddie Van Halen R.I.P.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just heard. RIP. Big time bummer. What a loss. I hope his son digs through those stacks of studio tapes and publishes some of Ed's music that we never got to hear. Maybe a tribute to his father or something. I'm bummed.

Wow! I understood he has been struggling for quite some time...…...…………..last I heard he was in Germany I believe for cancer treatment of some kind . A heavy smoker and drinker most all his life certainly did not help. A brilliant guitarist none the less may he RIP.

Wtf...  a patient just texted me this. 

I don’t even know what to say...  

wolfgang’s note...  I know what it’s like to lose a parent. My heart breaks for the kid...

Holy crap.  I'm floored.  I mean, we all knew he had battles with health in recent years, but I've been on a big VH kick recently, and started working on a "Franky" tribute...did not really see this coming.

Shit.

Best tribute I can muster.  This track, alone, made me put my trumpet back in its case and set me on a course in which playing guitar would be my #1 lifetime hobby, favorite leisure pursuit, and for a few years in my 20s, my income. 

I'm actually rather teared up in my office right now.  Picking up a guitar was the best thing that I ever did for myself, and he's why I did.  I don't know if I'd ever gotten out of my fucked up home town and done any of the shit I have since I was abou 18 or so were it not for EVH. 

I slip Van Halen song titles in the titles of works I submit for publication to this day.  Have a galley proof I'm reviewing now called, "I'm the One: Social Media, Social Identity, and Elections."

I was listening to Pandora over the weekend and without asking for Van Halen,  it played several songs from Van Halen I and Van Halen II. 

To Eddies family, friends and fans, thoughts and prayers. 

Very grateful to have been able to see Van Halen with Dave and Sammy over the past decades.   

Damn this one hurts.

Hamerica

What more is there to say? The guy so profoundly influenced music and guitar playing for millions.  To those who were friends and family, his loss is tragic. To me, his passing is sad but I am grateful for having arguably his best material as both massive influence and as anthems for/of my youth. RIP EVH.

Archived