Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Prototype Pickups: Sets, Single Coils, and Slammers!

A few have asked me about these pickups over the years and without the mounting rings or access to the right parts at the time, I said "Sorry but I can't". Well, now I can!

I have 3 original OEM Hamer rings, have fabricated to perfection the brass single coil frames right here in my shop, sourced the right brass frames for the humbuckers, and have put forth the effort 1000% to do these right and in the way that they should be - the way they were! It is my pleasure to offer them to the HFC first because you are exactly the guys that deserve this good stuff. HFC

I will build/wind to whichever authentic DiMarz/Hamer spec you wish. Historically there were 3 variations on both the single coils and the humbuckers: 5.2k, 6.8k, or 7.8k on the singles, 10.3k, 11.4k, or 15.6k on the humbuckers. All measurements +/-, but these are accurate as tested personally in my shop over the years. All humbuckers will feature 4 conductor output leads. All singles will have the traditional Black and White output leads. Alnico 5 magnets, same wire, same wind. From The Police to Priest!

Bobbin colors are totally up to you: Black, Ivory, White, Aged White, Parchment, or any combination of these that you'd like. If you want to go nuts with other colors I can get Green, Red, and Purple too at a slight upcharge and wait-time.

The 3 sets will come fully installed in the rings, ready to drop in, and delivered to your doorstep with insurance and a tracking # for $338.50 in the USA.

If you want individual single coils or those killer Slammer humbuckers, YES! $100 ea. on the singles, $140 ea. on the humbuckers + $8.50 shipping/insurance/tracking # USA.

I have access to more of these mounting rings after these original 3 sell but they are aftermarket. Made in the USA.

Will ship in 2-3 weeks. Get in touch and PayPal to claim yours. I'm going to let this post sit for a hot minute while I get everyones bobbin colors together. In the meantime, here's some photos!

DSC04395.JPG

DSC04383.JPG

DSC04388.JPG

DSC04384.JPG

DSC04389.JPG

32 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

A few have asked me about these pickups over the years and without the mounting rings or access to the right parts at the time, I said "Sorry but I can't". Well, now I can!

I have 3 original OEM Hamer rings, have fabricated to perfection the brass single coil frames right here in my shop, sourced the right brass frames for the humbuckers, and have put forth the effort 1000% to do these right and in the way that they should be - the way they were! It is my pleasure to offer them to the HFC first because you are exactly the guys that deserve this good stuff. HFC

I will build/wind to whichever authentic DiMarz/Hamer spec you wish. Historically there were 3 variations on both the single coils and the humbuckers: 5.2k, 6.8k, or 7.8k on the singles, 10.3k, 11.4k, or 15.6k on the humbuckers. All measurements +/-, but these are accurate as tested personally in my shop over the years. All humbuckers will feature 4 conductor output leads. All singles will have the traditional Black and White output leads. Alnico 5 magnets, same wire, same wind. From The Police to Priest!

Bobbin colors are totally up to you: Black, Ivory, White, Aged White, Parchment, or any combination of these that you'd like. If you want to go nuts with other colors I can get Green, Red, and Purple too at a slight upcharge and wait-time.

The 3 sets will come fully installed in the rings, ready to drop in, and delivered to your doorstep with insurance and a tracking # for $338.50 in the USA.

If you want individual single coils or those killer Slammer humbuckers, YES! $100 ea. on the singles, $140 ea. on the humbuckers + $8.50 shipping/insurance/tracking # USA.

I have access to more of these mounting rings after these original 3 sell but they are aftermarket. Made in the USA.

Will ship in 2-3 weeks. Get in touch and PayPal to claim yours. I'm going to let this post sit for a hot minute while I get everyones bobbin colors together. In the meantime, here's some photos!

DSC04395.JPG

DSC04383.JPG

DSC04388.JPG

DSC04384.JPG

DSC04389.JPG

Damn, that is some beautiful craftsmanship! Makes me want to build an upscale Stratopartscaster with a Prototype pickup array.....

14 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Damn, that is some beautiful craftsmanship! Makes me want to build an upscale Stratopartscaster with a Prototype pickup array.....

Thank you. 22 yrs experience with this stuff in total, the last 10 in a professional capacity, and always learning and trying to do better/more. The completed pickup is the prototype Prototype: 6.8k on the single, 10.3k on the humbucker. It sounds just like 'em and I knew it would but I had to make sure 100% for myself before I put this out.

Just so you all know...I recently had @JGravelin wind me a 10.3k Slammer cause I love those old DiMarzios, but I never tried a Slammer, just the earlier PAFs. The pickup went into my Artist cause I wanted to get it back to stock with buckers. OMG what a glorious pickup. The first chord and single line I played instantly sounded exactly like the gloriously raspy old Dimarzio PAFs, but just MORE!  Absolutely a killer pickup. 
Perfect for rock and roll, pop-rock, blues-rock, and pure blues. The brass frame evidently has a lot to do with the classic tone. And the little things....the pickup leads were impeccable and every part of the pickup looked perfect.  Total class and craftsmanship.

Buy the Gravelin Slammer...it is the sound of Hamer.

Call me crazy, but I am honestly thinking about having an entire guitar built around the pickup Josh recently wound me - 3 coil DELUXE!!

3 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Just so you all know...I recently had @JGravelin wind me a 10.3k Slammer cause I love those old DiMarzios, but I never tried a Slammer, just the earlier PAFs. The pickup went into my Artist cause I wanted to get it back to stock with buckers. OMG what a glorious pickup. The first chord and single line I played instantly sounded exactly like the gloriously raspy old Dimarzio PAFs, but just MORE!  Absolutely a killer pickup. 
Perfect for rock and roll, pop-rock, blues-rock, and pure blues. The brass frame evidently has a lot to do with the classic tone. And the little things....the pickup leads were impeccable and every part of the pickup looked perfect.  Total class and craftsmanship.

Buy the Gravelin Slammer...it is the sound of Hamer.

Jakeboy, the Slammer is a unique and very cool pickup - truly a classic DiMarz PAF x2! I love them also and it's a quintessential Hamer sound that is on a boatload of records. Reproducing those pickups is nothing compared to making my own 2 cond with braided shield leads! Seriously, it's a pain in the ass. I'm especially pleased to know you love it - makes it all worth it. Thank you!

10 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

You, sir, are the cat's ass, and not just the hair around it.

Cat’s ass?  Is that like the bee’s knees?  Give it to me straight from the horse’s mouth, I’m hungry like the wolf...

8 hours ago, cmatthes said:

Call me crazy, but I am honestly thinking about having an entire guitar built around the pickup Josh recently wound me - 3 coil DELUXE!!

Okay, so it’s not just me. That was my immediate reaction.  Comforting to know I’m not the only one. 🤔

5 hours ago, velorush said:

Okay, so it’s not just me. That was my immediate reaction.  Comforting to know I’m not the only one. 🤔

You and me both...

Peter, I've been poking around my shop and house gathering things to sell too. My professional musician life was about to be filled with a full summer and fall touring schedule where I would have made such a nice living, not unlike what I was doing in Austin TX previously. That disappeared. With my business of pickups, I'm pushing on a 2-tiered approach: innovate! and then, recreate some incredible stuff that no one can get anymore.

If that fails: factory job or some other thing that I will despise, but will do it just to get by. It won't be the first time I've had to do that, but I'd really rather not "go there".

I once had a Phantom a5 with Slammers and I recall really digging the sound. How would anyone here describe the qualities of the single-coils?

I ask because I have a Strat-ish guitar that has some fancy boo-teek pickups that are cool for the vintage sounds but I need to use a shit-ton of gain and back off some of the highs to get near the sound I like. Even then, it's just too vintage-sounding.

Might a set of these hotter singles get me into "Man, that is one loud and aggressive Strat, but not much quack" territory? I know, trying to make a guitar not be what it really is. I just love everything else about it, and if it was louder and more mid-rangey I'd be a happy camper.

1 hour ago, polara said:

Might a set of these hotter singles get me into "Man, that is one loud and aggressive Strat, but not much quack" territory? I know, trying to make a guitar not be what it really is. I just love everything else about it, and if it was louder and more mid-rangey I'd be a happy camper.

Yes, but... there's a better way. I'm not going to share the details publicly because I don't want to give it away. PM'ing you, Polara.

2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

...and the Master is at work.....

I think we have agreed on something pretty darned cool... might achieve my grail of the playability and curves of a Strat but the "oomph" of a big mean single-coil.

Archived