Hamer Fan Club Message Center

AGUILAR TONE HAMMER 500w Head: Any Experience?

RobB

I have experience with both the 350 and 500 versions and can say that they are excellent heads. Aguilars have a warmer sound compared to some of the others on the market; a baked in tube-like tone and response. They can be easily tweaked for a more hi-fi sound if that's what your guy is going after, but with the controls set flat it's going to have a smoother creamier sound than many other light-weight heads in the same class. Personally, I think they sound great! Nice quiet DI too w/ pre and post as well as a lift. The 500w version will be a little louder, have more headroom .. 11lbs or something like that? Hell yes.

Cons:  4ohm max load - no 2ohm. No effects loop. The blue LED operation lamps can be unpleasant and bright to some. All of this is so minor considering everything else tho.

8 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

That's some scary shite right there @RobB

Nahhhh...We used a biamped, Boogie Strategy rig for 15ys, though we don’t really play at loud volumes. 

9 minutes ago, JGravelin said:

I have experience with both the 350 and 500 versions and can say that they are excellent heads. Aguilars have a warmer sound compared to some of the others on the market; a baked in tube-like tone and response. They can be easily tweaked for a more hi-fi sound if that's what your guy is going after, but with the controls set flat it's going to have a smoother creamier sound than many other light-weight heads in the same class. Personally, I think they sound great! Nice quiet DI too w/ pre and post as well as a lift. The 500w version will be a little louder, have more headroom .. 11lbs or something like that? Hell yes.

Cons:  4ohm max load - no 2ohm. No effects loop. The blue LED operation lamps can be unpleasant and bright to some. All of this is so minor considering everything else tho.

Thanks, Josh! That’s exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I forwarded your post to my friend 

I have played through one and really liked it.  I also love my Markbass and wish they weren't ONLY available from Berkshire Hathaway music. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, RobB said:

My bassist friend ended up with a ToneHammer 500 and a 2x10 GK cabinet. It sounds GREAT and is very portable. Thanks for the help in this!

BOLO for a 2x10 Eden or Bergantino cab. Those are both substantial upgrades from GK.
Better yet, take the weight penalty and go 2x12. More girth and bottom.

I'm running a GENZ BENZ Steamliner 900 through either a single 2x10 or a 2x10 and a 2x12. Both cabs are the TC Electronics RS series.  Tons of headroom and great tube tone from the all tube pre-amp, and only 6 1/2 lbs.  Love it!  But there is some sick part of me that wants the classic Ampeg SVT lead sled with refrigerator like 8x10 cab.

My pal Darrell uses an Aguilar head/cabs rig, he used it w/ his Dug Pinnick Tech21 pedal when we recorded that Kings X stuff I posted this summer. It sounds massive and detailed.

Archived