Hamer Fan Club Message Center

OK, so what's gonna happen to the prices of Eddie Van Halen signature/endorsement guitars (all mfrs.) and other associated items?

Friday, 22 MAR 91, load-in for the Dallas Guitar Show: 

Word began passing thru the venue that Leo Fender had died the previous evening.

And I watched in fascination as numerous dealers scrambled and raised the prices on their pre-CBS Fender instruments.

One now wonders what will transpire in the market with the prices of Eddie Van Halen signature guitars--Music Man, Peavey and EVH. Ditto amplifiers.

One wonders if the builders in his last affiliation will market some kind of memorial limited edition, and what its price and features will be...and whether it will be practical or garish.

One wonders about what's going to happen to his collection (I'd expect a major auction house to be involved)

I'm not advocating for any of the above potential scenarios. The only thing I might suggest (if asked) is that a portion of the proceeds from a memorial model and/or auctioning his collection could go to cancer research.

This is possibly going to be even more interesting than the Crossroad auctions.

My guess is an auction won’t happen with his estate. My money is on Wolfie getting everything. 

Now Hard Rock Cafe, that’s another story. I could see them auctioning off a Frankenstrat to fund more expansion or something....

Fender... will milk it for all it can.

Who owned the gear?  Was it Eddie, or was it a business separate from Eddie?  That will make a difference with regard to inheritance tax that often requires having to sell off stuff like musical gear or pieces of art the deceased person created.  If all of the guitars and amps are legally inventory in a company's possession nothing has to be sold. 

3 minutes ago, Ed Rechts said:

Matt Bruck.

I'm gonna guess Eddie had his legal affairs in order, he's been circling the drain for several months now.

Conjecture on the street in LA had him dead by April Fools Day. People in his camp were talking, and the rumors were getting around.

The sleestack is great.

9 hours ago, hamerican gigolo said:

There's no guarantee that Wolfie will get everything.  He was married at the time of his death. His estate will be determined by whether or not he had a will expressing his wishes.  If not, the state of CA will decide who gets what. 

I see a legal $hit Strom brewing...

He was ill for over 10 years. I would suspect he had this shit taken care of. If not, then he was a fool.

If I ever get married again I am gonna have documents signed that sees to it that my kids get everything, if I pass. And right away. Only stuff or property that I would buy together, after the marriage, would go to my new wife - her rightful 50% share - but that would require that she paid for half of it. I don't think I will ever buy property with a woman again. If I pass on I want my property to go to my kids right away, not sit there for years with my new wife, so they won't get anything out of it before she dies. My kids comes first, always.

13 minutes ago, Disturber said:

He was ill for over 10 years. I would suspect he had this shit taken care of. If not, then he was a fool.

If I ever get married again I am gonna have documents signed that sees to it that my kids get everything, if I pass. And right away. Only stuff or property that I would buy together, after the marriage, would go to my new wife - her rightful 50% share - but that would require that she paid for half of it. I don't think I will ever buy property with a woman again. If I pass on I want my property to go to my kids right away, not sit there for years with my new wife, so they won't get anything out of it before she dies. My kids comes first, always.

Why buy the cow when you can get milk for free?

I think the price of a block letter EVH half stack would have to go up to an obscenely high amount before I would consider selling mine. 

As far as any of the newer gear with his name on it, nothing was really ever that attractive to me. I had an old USA Peavey Wolfgang special, the one with the flat maple top, more like his EBMM signature than the arch top Wolfgang. Just couldn’t get along with the small neck.

I’ve already seen some retailers raise their prices on EVH gear, and I saw that Sweetwater is back ordered on several of the EVH guitars. Chances are, the prices will go up for some time and then go back down again. 

I would definitely say the used market items will go UP. The EBMM EVH models were already sought after, with the Peavey models not as sought after. There were also the Kramer guitars he endorsed back in the day. Expect to see a metric ton of new listings on reverb for a guitar that EVH signed, played, "gave to me as a gift", "ordered but never used", and so forth.

I don't see any of the current production guitars really surging forward on the market very much. With Fender behind them they made tons, and they are not hard to come by at all.

I would think it will come down to what his son and wife want to do. Eddie almost certainly has a TON of guitars and amps, as well as all the touring gear, etc.  Unless Wolfgang wants to keep touring with the "Van Halen" name, there wouldn't be any real use to them. I don't see then getting another guitar player to replace Eddie, and if Wolfgang may not want to deal with a ton of guitars, all of which need storage, care, etc.

If someone waits for EVH to die to consider buying some of the gear associated with him, what is the point?  Production of Music Man EVH guitars and Peavey 5150 amps ended decades ago. 

If someone wanted a 1977 Trans Am they should not have waited for Burt Reynolds to die as a reason to get one. 

3 hours ago, Disturber said:

These issues can be predetermined by where marriage and residency at death occur.  

In NJ you cannot write your wife out of the will, nor can you control where her share of assets go upon her death.  Her will determines where her share goes.  My parents have a very complicated and complete arraignment.  

21 minutes ago, Studio Custom said:

These issues can be predetermined by where marriage and residency at death occur.  

In NJ you cannot write your wife out of the will, nor can you control where her share of assets go upon her death.  Her will determines where her share goes.  My parents have a very complicated and complete arraignment.  

We can do marriage contracts like this here in Sweden. Thank you Lord!

4 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

Do they do hourly contracts there?

Are you asking for a friend? 😉

Yeah, all the EVH and related gear will go up in price for the short time that those of us that "care" are looking. After initial interest prices will stay inflated for those that overpaid and the sales will sit for years on Reverb, GBase, Ebay, etc. Some of the stuff has been chased for years though, unmolested original EVH-like striped Charvels have always been hunted, let alone the few Strathead versions that are out there. 

21 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

Are you asking for a friend? 😉

Of course! I need a game plan for when I visit Sweden. Last time I needed friends in Europe was my four years in Germany. The Annabella Haus in Kaiserslautern was great! Window shopping was never better! Then of course there was always Twenty Mark Sraße!

:lol:

6 hours ago, gtrdaddy said:

Do they do hourly contracts there?

I might just look in to that as a business model! 🙂

22 hours ago, Steve Haynie said:

If someone waits for EVH to die to consider buying some of the gear associated with him, what is the point?  Production of Music Man EVH guitars and Peavey 5150 amps ended decades ago. 

If someone wanted a 1977 Trans Am they should not have waited for Burt Reynolds to die as a reason to get one. 

Agree.  VH album sales went up 7600% in the week after he died, and VH is all over the streaming charts.  If people liked VH music so much, why did they wait until he died to buy it or stream it?

Estate and property laws vary from state to state and I have no idea what they are in California, but I would think Janie would get everything.  I would hope she would keep a couple of guitars to remember Eddie by, and give all of the rest of his gear to Wolf.  I would hope that Wolf would then give a few special pieces to people like Alex, DLR, Mike, and Sammy for the same reason.

3 hours ago, tommy p said:

Agree.  VH album sales went up 7600% in the week after he died, and VH is all over the streaming charts.  If people liked VH music so much, why did they wait until he died to buy it or stream it?

This happens with virtually EVERY major music act when they die or something major happens. Just because you love Van Halen doesn't mean you listen to them all the time. But when they die, then you decide, "hey let me break out my cds and listen to non-stop Van Halen for a week". Then you realize "Crap, I still never got a copy of freakin Diver Down".  Or you find them on streaming because you can't find your CDs.

2 hours ago, tbonesullivan said:

This happens with virtually EVERY major music act when they die or something major happens. Just because you love Van Halen doesn't mean you listen to them all the time. But when they die, then you decide, "hey let me break out my cds and listen to non-stop Van Halen for a week". Then you realize "Crap, I still never got a copy of freakin Diver Down".  Or you find them on streaming because you can't find your CDs.

This...

I own every Van Halen cd except for diver down. No clue why I never got that one...

Archived