Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA Solid Maple Cali on Reverb

Something about this looks weird. I've seen a few flamed maple Cali's in my day but this looks like it's been painted. Might seem a tad ironic for me to be asking this but...why the hell would you paint over a nice figured maple body? And with that color?

https://reverb.com/item/33504289-hamer-usa-californian-elite-boomers-solid-flame-maple-body-27-frets

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.23.20 PM.png

Looks like somebody was in love with Mary Kay Strat theme...
Somehow when I read that some guitar was "pleked" it raises the flag for me. I'm yet to see one perfectly-played-like-butter-right-out-of-plek guitar. 

But...it's Californian and I love it by default.

9 minutes ago, JustKid said:

Somehow when I read that some guitar was "pleked" it raises the flag for me.

"I have played this guitar about 1 hour since it was Pleked by Mike Lull back in September 2018" translates in my head to "even after being Plek'd by Mike Lull it was kinda meh." 

1 hour ago, diablo175 said:

Something about this looks weird. I've seen a few flamed maple Cali's in my day but this looks like it's been painted. Might seem a tad ironic for me to be asking this but...why the hell would you paint over a nice figured maple body? And with that color?

https://reverb.com/item/33504289-hamer-usa-californian-elite-boomers-solid-flame-maple-body-27-frets

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.23.20 PM.png

Don't know for certain, but it looks like it could've been a factory translucent paint job, like a blonde ala Fender. You can see the grain through the paint. I've never seen one factory, possible? Perhaps.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:09 PM, cynic said:

"I have played this guitar about 1 hour since it was Pleked by Mike Lull back in September 2018" translates in my head to "even after being Plek'd by Mike Lull it was kinda meh." 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, diablo175 said:

Yeah, this is my listing.  Nope - it's not painted - you are looking at woodgrain.  I struggled with what to call the finish color ("Trasparent Butterscotch"?), and I'm happy to take advice on that.  Definitely feeling some irony from you, though...  

On 10/13/2020 at 7:09 PM, cynic said:

Definitely not the case here.  I've had Mike Lull Plek three of my Hamers, all came back very nice.  This one is more a case of "I have 19 other guitars that need playing, too".

I have actual data about how much I play my guitars, and I've noticed some trends...  If a guitar has a really nice woodgrain top, I tend to not play it as much as my painted guitars.  I don't know way this is and I haven't started up any hypno-therapy to get to the bottom of it yet.  In the mean time I'm selling off the ones I don't play as I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm not a collector.

On 10/13/2020 at 7:38 PM, gtrdaddy said:

Don't know for certain, but it looks like it could've been a factory translucent paint job, like a blonde ala Fender. You can see the grain through the paint. I've never seen one factory, possible? Perhaps.

This definitely has the blonde Fender vibe.  I'm not the original owner, but I believe that this is the factory finish.  I defer to the HFC's collective expertise about what to name this color.

On 10/13/2020 at 9:31 PM, Punkavenger said:

thats ugly  (unless of course its been put up for sale by a HFC member then its ... "Hey, uh ... not bad")

I guess it's, "Hey, uh... not bad" ;)

12 minutes ago, essgee said:

Yeah, this is my listing.  Nope - it's not painted - you are looking at woodgrain.  I struggled with what to call the finish color ("Trasparent Butterscotch"?), and I'm happy to take advice on that.  Definitely feeling some irony from you, though... 

And yes, I did say in my initial post that it might be a tad ironic...

33 minutes ago, soli'd said:

I, for one, think it's pretty awesome.

I suffer the same affliction with favoring opaque guitars. For some reason I don't play the highly figured ones when they spend time at my house.  

I was thinking the same thing.  Instead of admiring the look you just play the guitar. 

39 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Instead of admiring the look you just play the guitar. 

For some of us, there is a very real affliction of aesthetics in our guitar buying/keeping process. The visual appeal of a guitar can play a significant role in whether we acquire it and whether we bond with it.  Seems to me there are a lot of folks who won't touch certain guitars because of the way their head stocks look. :P If I had 50 bucks for every time I bought a guitar because it looked 'cool' (only to flip it when it didn't rate or didn't have the specs I favor) I could easily afford another high end Hamer. I've also let go of guitars because they didn't look appealing enough. Hell, I'm somewhat infamous on here for refinishing otherwise perfectly good Hamers... Because the visual aspect is that important to me. Perhaps superficial and certainly quirky but it is what it is.

5 hours ago, devrock said:

The price is uglier than the color. That’s crack-smoking pricing.

Yep.....what do you think its a razonable logic sane realistic feetsonearth price for a cali elite today? 🤔

Archived