Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Twitter Wars - David Crosby and EVH Edition

LucSulla

So David Crosby sort of low key shit on Eddie.  It wasn't that over the top, but I have to admit thinking maybe if the best you can say is "meh," maybe you should shut up.  Even if it wasn't your thing, it's clear that a lot of people truly loved the guy and his music, so why be condescending?

Regardless, what I truly enjoyed reading were the comments.  It's been many a moon since I've seen so many Gen Xers coming out in force and calling out the whole late 60s myth as a bunch of half baked bullshit the Boomers largely made up to feel good about themselves, as well as so many Boomers swinging by to tell us that Van Halen is all a bunch of soulless noise.  Most of the time, we kinda sit in the corner I feel like and watch the Boomers and Millennials (who are all about 25 at the youngest themselves these days) duke it out, and the Millennials are pretty bought into the "Legend" of the 60s.  You never see much push back from them about how 1967 was the pinnacle of human existence the same way I remember a lot of us in the 80s and early 90s used to.  

It was nice to see our middle aged asses are still good for a well worded, "Fuck you, hippie sellout!" retorts, lol.   

This actually took me back to some truly white hot arguments I had with my father back in my teens about Eddie vs. Clapton.  Good times. 

https://jambands.com/news/2020/10/13/david-crosby-lands-in-hot-water-over-eddie-van-halen-tweets/

I liked Neil Young of CSNY he put the meat on the bone! The rest of them where very good folk singers. Neil Young’s guitar playing and writing made them a “Rock” band instead of a “Folk” group. I loved what Eddie did with a guitar... So as a Boomer I’m sayin Eddie brought more to Rock than David Crosby did. My opinion and I’m stickin to it!!

I usually only say "Crosby Sucks!" during hockey season, but I'll repeat it now, as it's also truthful here.

It was a callous thing to say.

I’m a baby boomer, but bought VH I when it came out and loved it. Baby Boomers is a term that covers a LOT of years, two decades. 1945-1964. Gen X begins in 65. I think labeling generations is retarded. Saying someone born in 1960 or 64 is a different generation than someone born in 65 is doubly retarded. 

David Crosby isn’t a baby boomer either. He was born in 1941 before the US entered WWII. So playing the generation labeling game, what would he be? The silent generation...? Certainly not “the Greatest Generation.” That would be his parents, in my case, my grandparents, those born 1910-1924. Generation labeling is just silly.  Anyway, I digress.

Crosby’s not a boomer. He’s a douche.

39 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

It was a callous thing to say.

I’m a baby boomer, but bought VH I when it came out and loved it. Baby Boomers is a term that covers a LOT of years, two decades. 1945-1964. Gen X begins in 65. I think labeling generations is retarded. Saying someone born in 1960 or 64 is a different generation than someone born in 65 is doubly retarded. 

David Crosby isn’t a baby boomer either. He was born in 1941 before the US entered WWII. So playing the generation labeling game, what would he be? The silent generation...? Certainly not “the Greatest Generation.” That would be his parents, in my case, my grandparents, those born 1910-1924. Generation labeling is just silly.  Anyway, I digress.

Crosby’s not a boomer. He’s a douche.

Interestingly, by technical terms, none of the Beatles were Boomers either. 

I work with generational cohort assumptions from time to time because it's interesting where they are both right and wrong.  For instance, I think rather than the 1980 date for the Gen X/Millennial split, what actually matters is how old you were when your house got the Internet.  I was born in 79, but for the most part, most of my attitudes fit well within Gen X generalizations.  However, I didn't have the Internet at home until 1997.  I was almost done with high school.  Alternative rock and metal, guitars, old cars, and Clerks all featured heavily in those years, so the Internet was more a tool than a culture.  I have friends who got in on it a little earlier, and they tend to have some dispositions more associated with Millennials.  The vast majority of my experience with computers was a typing class where we learned a tad of Visual Basic up until really my Sophomore year of college.   I don't think I had my own computer connected to the web until probably my junior year in 2000.  

I'd imagine the real difference between Boomers and Gen X was how quickly that group born between say 60 and 66 mentally developed enough to start really being shaped by popular culture.  A really precocious kid born in 65 who was already feeling some influence from sentiments toward Vietnam, counter-culture and so on by the time he or she was 6 or 7 might have a good deal of overlap Boomers.  Likewise, a kid who was born in 60 but didn't really plug in until he or she was 15 might be more Gen X.  Just pulling out of my ass, Gen X tends to be rather anti-authoritarian, cynical, and independent, which probably has something to do with coming of age during the Vietnam/Watergate hangover, being the first generation where having two working parents was common, and also being the first generation where divorce was also common.  

It's fun to speculate where and which cultural shifts overlay a kind of group personality on a group, but mostly, damn David Crosby - rough take.  Was it not enough to just say, "VH wasn't really my thing, but a lot of people loved their music, and I respect that"?   I mean, if I never play "Ohio" again at an open mic night, it will be too soon, but I get why all the old heads in the crowd get all into it.  Even if I don't dig it, I can at least enjoy them enjoying it. 

7 minutes ago, killerteddybear said:

I'm going to take another position on this.

"Twitter Wars" are a meaningless waste of attention span.
(Yes, I see the irony of slamming social media on a social media website...)

And who gives a flying shit what David Crosby thinks about anything?

might even call it "attention spam" 🤪 it still got mine....instead of practising scales....

David Crosby, fucked up his liver.  Got it paid for by someone else.  Cut to the front of the line.     Suspected of dwi a few years ago.      can’t keep his trap shut because he is somehow on a More enlightened moral plane than mere mortals.         

I like most of the CSN and CSNY catalog, but DaveL nailed it.  I dont think its a stretch to say that Crosby's long exuded an air of arrogance. And anyone who uses their riches or celebrity status/influence to leapfrog other mere mortals on an organ transplant list really is the lowest of the low.

6 hours ago, killerteddybear said:

"Twitter Wars" are a meaningless waste of attention span.
(Yes, I see the irony of slamming social media on a social media website...)

Hey! Don't call the HFC a social media website! 

2 hours ago, Biz Prof said:

I like most of the CSN and CSNY catalog, but DaveL nailed it.  I dont think its a stretch to say that Crosby's long exuded an air of arrogance. And anyone who uses their riches or celebrity status/influence to leapfrog other mere mortals on an organ transplant list really is the lowest of the low.

I agree....until I gain riches/status/influence and need a transplant.

But seriously, leapfrogging others on donor lists is by design.  How long one has been in line is secondary to one's prognosis at the moment an organ becomes available.  Given his history of abuse it makes sense that when his liver chose to stop working it happened abruptly.

David Crosby, Twitter, who and what? 

Yeah, big yawn. As per the above, it's one thing to say you're not a fan when they're alive, it's another to run your mouth after their death. And to ignore the "impact" of someone like EVH is pure ignorance, whether you're a fan or not. Those that are no longer in the light will do all kinds of crap to try and gain attention and that Faustian bargain is just so desperate. He's an ass...

I saw him and Nash together in a small venue in the late 90's, all I can say is "wow." I'm not a CSN fan, I can get on board with CSNY because I'm a Neil fan; but the level of skill and talent can't be denied. Did I mention that was 30 years ago?  😉

Crosby was at least honest.  He should have known to just be polite and save his opinion for later.  I can relate though.  My comments about Jerry Garcia at the time of his death were not respectful to his fans who were as dedicated as any EVH fan.  I should not have done that.  It was not like I hated Garcia, either, just the younger generation of fans that Jerry failed to encourage to take baths. 

40 years ago friends who are 10 - 15 years older than me said that CSN was always better when Neil Young was with them. 

4 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

Crosby was at least honest.  He should have known to just be polite and save his opinion for later.  I can relate though.  My comments about Jerry Garcia at the time of his death were not respectful to his fans who were as dedicated as any EVH fan.

You probably didn't reach as many people with your comments as Crosby did, though.

38 minutes ago, Drew816 said:

As per the above, it's one thing to say you're not a fan when they're alive, it's another to run your mouth after their death.

In fairness to Crosby, he probably wasn't asked when EVH was alive.

If you care what 80 year old David Crosby tweeted on twitter, you are as big of a twitter twat as he is. He's a A-hole every generation has A-hole's, every generation thinks the prior generation are stupid A-hole's what's new! 

5 minutes ago, Carl.B said:

If you care what 80 year old David Crosby tweeted on twitter, you are as big of a twitter twat as he is. He's a A-hole every generation has A-hole's, every generation thinks the prior generation are stupid A-hole's what's new! 

121254719_10157717367504646_1548859104559309467_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, Biz Prof said:

<Sigh> Sam's family hopes that one day--just one day--he'll come out of his shell and tell us how he really feels.

Then maybe he can tell us who he is.

2 hours ago, kizanski said:

Hey! Don't call the HFC a social media website! 

It technically isn't...

And while I will type a manifesto on generational musings, I won't explain that further.  Because I love dying on the wrong hill, lol. 

1 hour ago, Steve Haynie said:

My comments about Jerry Garcia at the time of his death were not respectful to his fans who were as dedicated as any EVH fan.  I should not have done that.  It was not like I hated Garcia, either, just the younger generation of fans that Jerry failed to encourage to take baths. 

I sent the long-since-departed, Ranger, into an apoplectic fit with one of my typically cute comments about Garcia. “I’m grateful he’s dead”, I believe it was. I felt so in control. It was beautiful. 

Archived