Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Okay, I need you guy's bad this time...

There's a guy in our church that was a professional baseball pitcher for 12 years.  His name is Andrew Brown.  He's in seminary and will be the preacher in my church someday.  He's like a son to me.  He wants to buy an electric acoustic guitar for $350.  What's the best guitar I can find used in that range?   Thanks. 

Do you really need used? For under $350 you could get a new one, nice Yamaha, or very nice Alvarez, or at least very decent Fender...

The way I see it, if used is sold for $350, lets assume that it was $700 when new, and to my opinion, there won't be that much of a difference in quality between new $350 and new $700. 
And if you still decide to go for used, in my experience, it's a bit tricky with acoustic, due to the delicate nature of those guitars, they could be over dried and develop cracks, or too humid, the bridge could be raised, might have loose reinforcement pieces inside, it could have cracks, but before selling the seller might put some wet towel inside and the crack will close for the picture shoot, but will open in about 3 weeks. So there is a lot to consider and you have to be really careful with used acoustic. I bought quite a few  in the past and only two of them stayed - Taylor ns32 and Ovation US made bought for $300 about 15 years ago, but I still play some chinese efesan or Efsan...couldn't figure out the name, that I found on the street without a nut. Installed the nut and it plays just as nice as any guitar.

My neighbor bought this one about a year ago, very nice playing guitar
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/alvarez-af30ce-artist-series-om-folk-acoustic-electric-guitar 

@The Shark

Dave, check out Seagull, and Simon and Patrick used. They are the same company and both lines made in Canada. They are THE HAMER of acoustic guitars. They sound incredibly vibrant, play well, and have almost no resale value. I had a quilted maple Simon and Patrick dreadnought for years. Loved it. Not all of them have electronics, but many do. Here's an example of one for $350 with stock LR Baggs from factory.
https://reverb.com/item/35985974-seagull-m6-spruce-acoustic-guitar

You might want to hit Craigslist locally too. Billy and Doug were a Simon and Patrick dealer for a long time. There may be a few floating around O-Town.

CHECK OUT THIS BAD-BOY! https://reverb.com/item/33347312-simon-and-patrick-pro-flame-maple-from-2003-s-p

46 minutes ago, gtrdaddy said:

@The Shark

Dave, check out Seagull, and Simon and Patrick used. They are the same company and both lines made in Canada.

I agree with this 100%.  These are great entry level instruments.  They claim to be hand-made... although I am sure some tools are involved as well.

If this is for plugged-in use, I haven't found a better-sounding option than the Variax Acoustic 700. Here's one currently at $380+shipping on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LINE-6-Variax-Acoustic-700/233745694352

Unlikely it'll stay that low, but can't hurt to watch.

If he needs something both for unplugged and plugged-in, then I'd go with one of the other suggestions already posted.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:25 PM, The Shark said:

There's a guy in our church that was a professional baseball pitcher for 12 years.  His name is Andrew Brown.  He's in seminary and will be the preacher in my church someday.  He's like a son to me.  He wants to buy an electric acoustic guitar for $350.  What's the best guitar I can find used in that range?   Thanks. 

Perhaps a used '90's Godin might fit the bill? 

1 hour ago, The Shark said:

He bought a 310 Taylor with a pickup and didn't wait for my/your wisdom.  Thanks for the help, fellas!

He did quite well on his own, seems...although I'm confident he spent well north of the HFC-approved price!  

4 hours ago, The Shark said:

He bought a 310 Taylor with a pickup and didn't wait for my/your wisdom.  Thanks for the help, fellas!

For $350?!  With negotiating skills like that, this kid doesn't need our wisdom at all! 

Archived