Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Finishing a raw warmoth neck,,, mahogany

Question

Greetings,

my initial plan for finishing this neck is to use Danish oil and wet sand with 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The literature that Warmoth sends with its neck states that it does not consider oil finishes to be adequate protection, only hard finishes are considered adequate and not giving the neck a hard finish voids their warranty. Should I be looking to finish this neck with something else?

as always, thank you for your insights/experiences!

showcase image

Edited by LordsoftheJungle

14 answers to this question

Aren't there some types of wipe on poly? It gives that hand rubbed feel but without the oil.

Or just oil it and forget about the warranty. EBMM has used tru-oil on their necks for decades.  Carvin/Kiesel uses Minwax tung Oil Finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What does the warranty state? I doubt you will have any issues with warpage and the like with the finish you are using.  Perhaps staining and wear would be different if you use a hard sealer, but you would lose the feel and appearance you want. You don’t hard finish a rosewood fingerboard. It would be much easier to sand and refinish with a Danish oil finish than a hard finish.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, BoogieMKIIA said:

What does the warranty state? I doubt you will have any issues with warpage and the like with the finish you are using.  Perhaps staining and wear would be different if you use a hard sealer, but you would lose the feel and appearance you want. You don’t hard finish a rosewood fingerboard. It would be much easier to sand and refinish with a Danish oil finish than a hard finish.

Thx everyone for the input. I'm going with the Danish oil and I'll test the wipe on poly since I already have some in the shop.

I was thinking of not putting anything on the rosewood fretboard except maybe some lemon oil.

• Like 2

In general, rosewood fretboards do not get any type of finish on them, except maybe a little oil. I think only Rickenbacker regularly puts a gloss finish on rosewood.

There are some finishes like F -1 and Clarinet Bore oil that some people use.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Jakeboy said:

Gorgeous neck!  Congrats! Just oil it as you want and enjoy. Play the heck out of it!

Thx,,, I really wanted roasted maple with pau ferro fingerboard & MOP dots but a 2 month wait was just too long for me,,, so I "settled" for the mahogany neck they already had ready to ship.

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Mahogany
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood (Dark)
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: 6150
Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots
Finish: No Finish

here it is with light walnut Danish oil, the last couple of coats have beeen massaged in with P1200 grit wet sand paper,,, smooth! 

P1020809.JPG

P1020812.JPG

• Like 2

Looks great!

I did one Musikraft Charvel maple neck w/Tru-oil, which came out great. I'm not worried at all about it having adequate protection - and it feels wonderful!

About to finish a second (currently raw) birdseye neck, this time w/Watco danish oil.

• Thanks 1

I just did a maple/maple AllParts neck and then used a scotch brite pad to bring it down to a satin fiiiha. Feels fantastic. I think you’ll be more than happy with the feel of the oil finish. 

out of curiosity, where do you live?  Are you subject to crazy changes in temps and humidity like those of us in the Midwest?  Or are you in a more temperate/drier climate with less worry of neck warping...?

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Travis said:

I just did a maple/maple AllParts neck and then used a scotch brite pad to bring it down to a satin fiiiha. Feels fantastic. I think you’ll be more than happy with the feel of the oil finish. 

out of curiosity, where do you live?  Are you subject to crazy changes in temps and humidity like those of us in the Midwest?  Or are you in a more temperate/drier climate with less worry of neck warping...?

I'm in northern new mexico,,,, very dry and moderate climate. The neck came down here from Washington state though.

Edited by LordsoftheJungle
1 hour ago, LordsoftheJungle said:

I'm in northern new mexico,,,, very dry and moderate climate. The neck came down here from Washington state though.

Oh, yeah...  you should be totally fine with just an oil finish then. 

out of curiosity, what does the warmth warranty cover?