Hamer Fan Club Message Center

David Lee Roth on "CBS Sunday Morning"

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/sunday-morning-full-episode-10-18-2020/#x

A five-minute segment that starts around the 12-minute mark. 

The focus of the episode is his new interest in Japanese ink drawing. EVH's passing is mentioned in the set-up by the narrator, but DLR doesn't discuss it. The source that sent me the link sez the actual interview was recorded after Eddie's death but it doesn't come up in the one-on-one part.  If it was indeed done after EVH died, maybe DLR placed the topic out of bounds ahead of time, or maybe CBS had recorded it earlier and saw a chance for a Van Halen-semi-related soft news story. Either way, Roth isn't impressive. I don't know enough about Japanese ink drawing to opine if his work is impressive or not, for that matter.

download.jpg

DLR gets into that (a bit) in the mammoth Joe Rogan's interview.  If you're at all interested in DLR, I would highly recommend that interview (it's over a couple of hours IIRC).  DLR is absolutely full of himself, but Rogan is able to cut through it all frequently and you get something you'd never considered.

I finished the interview 1. completely impressed with Rogan as an interviewer and 2. more or less convinced DLR was a great 80's front man, but someone with whom I would likely not enjoy an afternoon. 

14 hours ago, Ed Rechts said:

If DLR was a standup comedian, with that putty face and that shit-eating perma-grin smirk, you know he'd perform under the stage name of either "Slappy" or "Shecky" and would have every "punchline"  chased by a hi-hat punctuation or one of those high-pitched cyclone whistles to prompt acknowledgement that a joke was just proffered. (Ironically, that very whistle sound is used on "Running With The Devil" during one of the choruses. Methinks Ted Templeman saw it that way too)

Remember that time Dave showed up on American Bandstand? 

19 hours ago, it's me HHB said:

shit, I'm a bigger DLR fanboy than Ed, what evah!

Totally agree. Eddie was an amazing player but the VH band would not have been the same with any other singer as evidenced by the Van Hagar era output. That being said, I am sure that there is a limit as to how much DLR one can take.

I‘m actually happy that some people spent a lot of time with DLR for a few years and created this wonderful music. In historic views, band chemistry may appear like a miracle. That‘s not limited to VH though. It seems that exactly this chemistry cooks the greatest music.

I've read a few of the VH books,   Kiss and VH while not my favorite bands,  are really interesting

reading.  I've always appreciated how DLR (and Kiss too) was not blessed with the most natural talent,  

but he said f that... and kind of willed himself into what he was.         

9 hours ago, DaveL said:

not blessed with the most natural talent,  but he said f that... and kind of willed himself into what he was.         

Gotta remember that the next time i reincarnate.  Darndest thing, I just keep forgetting.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:28 AM, velorush said:

I finished the interview 1. completely impressed with Rogan as an interviewer and 2. more or less convinced DLR was a great 80's front man, but someone with whom I would likely not enjoy an afternoon. 

I found Dave to be almost unbearable during a love show. His personality is one of the most grating I’ve ever seen a human possess. I don’ know how they put up with him for more than a half hour, TBH. I’d have killed him by VH 2. 

36 minutes ago, devrock said:

I found Dave to be almost unbearable during a love show. His personality is one of the most grating I’ve ever seen a human possess. I don’ know how they put up with him for more than a half hour, TBH. I’d have killed him by VH 2. 

It's funny you posted that. 

I don't think I've ever mentioned how the crowd came within seconds of turning on him for his inter-song banter BOTH times I saw them live (Diver Down and 1984).  He goes on (both concerts) telling this story about his partying in Memphis and how he really likes the local girls.  Okay, we're (the Memphis Colosseum, filled with fellow southern redneck dudes, that is) fine with that.  But then he goes (and on)... way too far, providing way too much information, and then starts mimicking his version of a stereotypical southern girl's accent telling everyone about his own alleged...  I'll just say, "competencies" and "adequacies." 

About this time every guy in the place takes offense.  And he continues...  He must be pretty adept at reading a room, because he had the sense to shut up exactly before a riot broke out.  He was fine up until then.  And he was fine after that.  Well, after we'd all had time to cool off and Ed rejoined the stage providing a great distraction.

Jerk.

On 10/26/2020 at 9:42 PM, velorush said:

It's funny you posted that. 

I don't think I've ever mentioned how the crowd came within seconds of turning on him for his inter-song banter BOTH times I saw them live (Diver Down and 1984).  He goes on (both concerts) telling this story about his partying in Memphis and how he really likes the local girls.  Okay, we're (the Memphis Colosseum, filled with fellow southern redneck dudes, that is) fine with that.  But then he goes (and on)... way too far, providing way too much information, and then starts mimicking his version of a stereotypical southern girl's accent telling everyone about his own alleged...  I'll just say, "competencies" and "adequacies." 

About this time every guy in the place takes offense.  And he continues...  He must be pretty adept at reading a room, because he had the sense to shut up exactly before a riot broke out.  He was fine up until then.  And he was fine after that.  Well, after we'd all had time to cool off and Ed rejoined the stage providing a great distraction.

Jerk.

The whole “Dave as a lady’s man” thing just makes me laugh. We all know... :D

Archived