Hamer Fan Club Message Center

R.I.P. Spencer Davis

The Spencer Davis Group featured a teenage Stevie Winwood during the Swingin' Sixties; hits like "Gimme Some Livin'", "I'm A Man" and others. 

Davis wasn’t in the pantheon of guitar gods,  but he participated in more facets of the music business than most players, as he became a producer and an A & R rep for Island Records. He performed in a couple of all-star bands in his later years.

5 hours ago, Willie G. Moseley said:

Davis wasn’t in the pantheon of guitar gods, 

No, he wasn't, but he certainly left a mark on guitar rock for the ages. If Spencer Davis wasn't who he was, he wouldn't have given Steve Winwood lead in a band at the age of 15, making him famous and popular enough that he went on to form Traffic and get a record deal at the age of 19 and Blind Faith with none other than Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker at just twenty years old! Now, I'm not sayin' Steve Winwood wouldn't have made it without Mr. Davis; however Mr. Davis expedited that process greatly. I doubt Clapton would've known who Winwood was if it weren't for Davis. Also, Davis wrote Don't Want You No More; who here could imagine the Allman Brothers first album without THAT as the opener??? 

RIP

Awesome band and great post GD - damn, you went straight up Kevin Bacon there!  :D

It also amazes me that a cool music video from 1967 has so many visual elements that have been repeated in some fashion in modern music videos - to directly ripped off.

Thank you for all you gifts to making kick-ass music.  RIP Mr. Davis 

Archived