Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer now owned by Washburn....

I guess my source a while back was right, as here are some one off USA Hamers at the ILL factory...

hamer USA.png

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These are production guitars from New Hartford that got stopped in mid process, and have been hanging around in limbo for a quite a few years.  They have the original tape and notes on the neck about 

The Arlington Heights shop was constantly trading staff with Washburn.  Mike worked for us and Yuri was at Washburn. I wonder if any of the old Hamer staff is still there?  

Hamers being made in Indonesia is bad enough, but Washburn?!

Posted Images

Looks like a monaco, a tally and whatever the F hole model is... I saw no flat top sunbursts , standards, birds, or virts ,  SO I have no real interest, but  who knows what the plan is , but yes

Hamer USA   is back in some incarnation, this was in the works already when I posted the last time.   I asked my friend if there were any former emps or namesakes involved and I haven't heard back, but I'd guess no.

The Washburn stuff that Grover Jackson did with them back in the mid 90's was top notch, other than silly headstocks... I had a bunch of the Laredo's and they all were well built, well fit together nice playing sounding guitars.. I doubt Washburn will crap on a prestige brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see a couple of artists, a tally and a studio. Very curious to see what comes of this...

• Like 2

If all the tooling was trashed when FMIC shut down Hamer that means someone had to recreate everything.  So, are these new USA Hamers going to be available only if someone provides an original for the Washburn shop to copy? 

Is anyone willing to let them get the specs from your Impact Bass? 

• Like 2

Two words:  Koa Talladega...

• Like 1

That's nice. I wish them the best. Makes me wonder what is a guitar brand. Is it the people? Well, no one who was making Fewnders in 1954 is still doing it, and Leo left in the 60s. Dennis left Fano (and they were even built by Grover Jackson for a while) to form Novo, but Fanos are still good. I happen to own a Dennis-built one but the newere ones are cool, too.

Is it the designs? Is it the philosophy? The logo? The target market? I don't mean it in a negative way, but what do we collectively think a Hamer is?

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Steve Haynie said:

If all the tooling was trashed when FMIC shut down Hamer that means someone had to recreate everything.

Do we know these aren't leftover Connecticut Hamers being finished at Washburn, with the tooling and new models to come later?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, kizanski said:

Do we know these aren't leftover Connecticut Hamers being finished at Washburn, with the tooling and new models to come later?

I thought everything that wasn’t finished was destroyed. But that’s an interesting thought...

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kizanski said:

Hamers being made in Indonesia is bad enough, but Washburn?!

I bet in less than three months time you will have place a custom order for a Hamer Scarab with a Wonder Bar tremolo system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
1 minute ago, Disturber said:

I bet in less than three months time you will have place a custom order for a Hamer Scarab with a Wonder Bar tremolo system.

Or a Cali with a Stevens cutaway...

• Haha 2

Hamer the brand is actually owned by DCC, an Irish company that also owns Washburn.

Going back.. US Music has owned Washburn for a long time. US Music and many other similar companies/brands got bought by Jam Industries. Hamer the brand got bought by Jam along with some other stuff from FMIC. https://jamindustries.com/markets/musical-instruments/

In 2018, the Irish conglomerate DCC bought Jam Industries. https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/dcc-acquires-jam-industries-in-new-partnership

https://www.dcc.ie/our-business/technology

DCC is into a lot of different things.

Not surprising though that someone somewhere in that corporate maze thought to do something like this, especially given the fairly tepid reception of the import lines that 're-launched' the brand a couple years ago.

Will be interesting to see if they truly have anything in common with the originals other than shapes.

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, Bennyboy-UK said:

I don’t know what to think 😕 

Yeah, I'm there with you. I'm not all warm and fuzzy but can't remember ever owning a Washburn, so I'm hopeful?

• Like 2

I have 2 acoustic Washburn's that are flawless and seem better than other guitars in the same price range.

• Like 3

The Arlington Heights shop was constantly trading staff with Washburn.  Mike worked for us and Yuri was at Washburn.

I wonder if any of the old Hamer staff is still there?  

Edited by mirrorimij
  • Like 12
2 hours ago, bruce919 said:

I think the second guitar back is a Duotone , it will interesting to see the quality & pricing. 

That's what I see too, Artist Custom, Duotone Custom, Tally, Artist Custom.

It's sloppy but I could be convinced each of the non-TAL models are GATA.  The Duotone looks like GHTA but that could just be that it's a pain in the ass to write in sharpie over a fret.

Very cool development regardless.  Here's to their success.

I bet we learn more around the fourth week of January.

Edited by cynic
  • Like 1