Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Hamer Daytona

17 minutes ago, topekatj said:

Thanks for the reply. Since it appears that the pickup covers and knobs were replaced I'd be curious if the pickups were changed from the original Duncans. Let us know what you find under the pickguard, the Duncans will have telltale stickers on the bottom.

As far as the weight goes, the weights of the Daytona's and T-52's varied greatly and it doesn't matter what the scale says, your body will tell you if it's too heavy (said the man who owns a 1980 LP Standard <ME>). I play sitting down so it doesn't matter as much, but many people prefer a lighter guitar.

Thank you for the feedback. I did attempt to remove the pick guard over the weekend when I changed strings, but it appeared to be stuck (with all the appropriate screws removed) where it meets the neck. I tugged on it but very little moved - I didn’t want to deform it so I quit after a few minutes. If you have any tips on removing it I welcome your input. 

I think I’m in the same camp as you with regard to the weight of guitars. I just try my best to play them - there are very few guitars that I do not like. 

1 hour ago, P Franco said:

Thank you for the feedback. I did attempt to remove the pick guard over the weekend when I changed strings, but it appeared to be stuck (with all the appropriate screws removed) where it meets the neck. I tugged on it but very little moved - I didn’t want to deform it so I quit after a few minutes. If you have any tips on removing it I welcome your input.

It’s a good thing you asked about removing the pickguard! Because of the overhang of the 22nd fret and the close tolerances of the guitar’s construction it’s necessary to (once the strings are loosened) at least loosen the screws that attach the neck to the body in order separate the neck from the body slightly and lift the pickguard assembly off the guitar.

Good Luck!

On 11/3/2020 at 6:16 PM, P Franco said:For what it’s worth, I picked up a T51 about a month ago from DGS and that one just jumped out and sang to me straight away. Bonded with it quickly!

I love my T-51.  Sold my Daytonas.  Keeping the T-51 ... for now.  The weight is the only turn off for me.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:16 PM, P Franco said:

This may not be very helpful but.... So, I’m really liking the finish (neck/body really comfortable). Still getting a feel for the pickups (i still haven’t pulled the pick guard off). The weight ????? I don’t have a good/precise scale but it does feel a little on the heavier side - which I don’t mind. I should probably get a good scale - any recommendations?

For what it’s worth, I picked up a T51 about a month ago from DGS and that one just jumped out and sang to me straight away. Bonded with it quickly!

If you pull the guard and they are the Duncan Alnico II's those are great in that guitar. If you don't like the bridge pup, the Duncan Twangbanger is a fantastic upgrade and matches the Alnico II very well. 

On 11/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, Winter said:

I bought a Daytona last week from a seller on the 'verb. Expecting delivery on Tuesday. :) 

Was that the Tobacco burst with the EMG's ?  I like that color ! 

15 hours ago, P Franco said:

So I finally pulled the pick guard off and here’s what I found. A quick google search tells me they might be Fralin  

38223BAC-17C3-488C-BBEC-193FA4DBB078.jpeg

650E60AC-D642-409B-826E-61D6635DC703.jpeg

ED205794-DC05-4356-9109-B37AF962FB04.jpeg

You really got a great score there! I just loaded mine with some special winds Josh built for me. They make the stock pups sound deflated! Now I gotta get rid of the bridge, it has a  “ping” sound to it and it doesn’t lay flat on the deck. 
Great score and I’ll be following to see how you like/dislike the Daytona. 

On 11/15/2020 at 9:56 PM, tweed said:

Was that the Tobacco burst with the EMG's ?  I like that color ! 

Yup! That’s the one. Going to do a setup on it tonight and let it sit for a few hours before putting it through its paces tomorrow. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:57 PM, topekatj said:

It’s a good thing you asked about removing the pickguard! Because of the overhang of the 22nd fret and the close tolerances of the guitar’s construction it’s necessary to (once the strings are loosened) at least loosen the screws that attach the neck to the body in order separate the neck from the body slightly and lift the pickguard assembly off the guitar.

Good Luck!

Great to know. Thanks for the heads up! 

Archived